Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:02:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Watching Hal Hartley films

Started by Gregory Torso, March 15, 2018, 12:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsfredtitmus

i like how he occupies the middleground between the fast talking hawks and sturges films and the woody allenites of baumbach and stillman

Gregory Torso

It's something I didn't really pick up on when watching his films as a teenager but yeah that's a good way to describe the style.

Probably going to watch Surviving Desire next which I saw once, don't remember much about it, except I think it's about a guy obsessed with a paragraph in a text he's teaching. "Knowing is not enough".

itsfredtitmus

I've always associated him with steven soderbergh (hard to think of two more disparate indies) because of their mutual love / obsession with Richard Lester

Surviving Desire is fucking superb.

One of my favourite things in this world.

Who knows where we'd be if more people had voted Hartley than Tarantino? Was it Tarantino that gave Weinstein his cache? Research might destroy the theory that I've just constructed so I won't bother doing any, no-one else does anymore.

Small Man Big Horse

Just thought I'd bump this as Hartley has appeared on a new podcast - https://boocock.podbean.com/

phantom_power

Recently watched The Unbelievable Truth and Trust and am happy to say they hold up to my memories of seeing them on late night Channel 4 back in the day. They have a unique atmosphere. They are like the museum scene from Ferris Bueller stretched out to 90 minutes.

Is the "family's like a gun. Point it in the wrong direction and someone's gonna get killed" a quote from somewhere else or did Belle and Sebastian lift it from Trust?

Small Man Big Horse

Hartley's just started a new kickstarter for The Long Island Trilogy (The Unbelievable Truth (1989), Trust (1990) and Simple Men (1992) on DVD or Blu-ray - newly restored in HD and subtitled in French, Spanish, German, Japanese and English) - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260302407/the-long-island-trilogy-boxed-set?ref=user_menu - it's $70 for the dvd box set, which is a bit too much for me personally, but if anyone hasn't seen them then I'd definitely recommend buying it.

Small Man Big Horse

Thought I'd bump this again as Harley is making a new movie, though it's currently part of a kickstarter campaign so by no means definitely happening - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260302407/where-to-land - I backed the Ned Rifle one quite happily, but given the lack of dvd / download options, and the fact that I don't have a blu-ray player, means I'm probably not going to do so this time around. Ah well, hopefully it won't cost too much to buy if it does get made.

Enrico Palazzo

Fay Grim is on the Channel 5 player. Keep meaning to watch it.

Piggyoioi

I remember not enjoying Fay Grim, was a decade ago however.

I noticed he directed quite a few episode's of Red Oaks on amazon prime which I quite enjoyed, especially season 2.

chveik

hardly a controversial opinion I'm sure, but Surviving Desire is fucking amazing.

phantom_power

I am well behind on my Hartley but I loved Trust and The Unbelievable Truth when I first saw them on a Channel 4 season of his films

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Piggyoioi on December 06, 2019, 05:00:49 PM
I remember not enjoying Fay Grim, was a decade ago however.

I noticed he directed quite a few episode's of Red Oaks on amazon prime which I quite enjoyed, especially season 2.

I didn't get on with Henry Fool originally but loved Fay Grim and Ned Rifle, and now all three do it for me.

And ah, you're the other person who watched Red Oaks, it's very nice to meet you.

phantom_power

Red Oaks is great. Such great characters and a real 80s feel without being pastiche or too arch

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Gregory Torso on March 17, 2018, 08:07:15 AM
Probably going to watch Surviving Desire

Yeah, might get around to this soon. No promises though

checkoutgirl

Trust is one of my all time favourite films. Haven't watched it about a decade mind. Went through a semi completist phase of watching Hal Hartley films a few years ago but can't remember a single frame of any of them except for Trust. Not sure what that means.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: purlieu on March 15, 2018, 10:10:30 PM
Searching for Amateur 1994 should help, as well as confining results to video.

First rule of piratebay, whack the year after it to thin down the search and weed out subsequent remakes etc.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 07, 2019, 07:34:17 AM
Trust is one of my all time favourite films. Haven't watched it about a decade mind. Went through a semi completist phase of watching Hal Hartley films a few years ago but can't remember a single frame of any of them except for Trust. Not sure what that means.

There's a bit in Trust where ... oh fuck, I'm pissed and can't remember the line. Anyway, it used to make me cry.