Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:47:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scariest horror monsters.

Started by Kryton, March 18, 2018, 07:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

For me personally it's either The Thing or the The infected from 28 days later or the first stages of the Alien from Alien.

The Thing is number one as far as I'm concerned, an affront to nature and evolution. A terrifying imitator of humanity. Is it some sort of parasitical life form (or as I kind of see it, a colonial lifeform, not too dissimilar to the siphonophore)? Either way the very concept of it worries me.
However I don't see the creature as necessarily malicious, more so just a survivor. In almost all cases in the film, the Thing generally wanted to remain hidden. It really only started its rampage in the American camp once it had been sniffed out by the dogs. Notice it didn't infect Clark before the kennel scene?

Carpenter's masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

The infected from 28 days later are a close second. Everything from the 10-20 second infection time, the blood spewing rage, the adrenaline fueled strength, the ebola and rabies symptoms. The concept of an infected Britain is not one that's a million miles away either. We're only a small island. It really wouldn't take too long before the infection fucked everyone. What was it in the film? 8 days before the PM called a state of emergency? Fucked it.

And last but not least the Alien / Xeno from the Alien franchise but more precisely the facehugger. Geiger's designs are almost perfect aren't they? A super-strong, super-fast insect-like killing machine with acid for blood. But instead of this just being another forgettable monster in space, the designers decided to follow this up with a whole evolutionary pattern to the alien.
Infection, incubation, hatchling etc... All equally horrific.

The facehugger though... Yuck.

Other candidates include: The sexual parasites from shivers, Jeff Goldblum as the Fly, The Triffids, Romero's zombies from his first three zombie films, Tooms from the X-files (not strictly a monster, but he's a wrong 'un), The Borg from Star Trek and of course the Daleks from Dr Who.

bgmnts

Xenomorph. Not even a contest. Still shit me right up to this day. The whole life span of the facehugger throat raping an egg down your gullet which hatches in your belly and bursts out your gut during dinner. Then it turns into a large, apex predator 'black penises with teeth' thing.

I dont tell people this but facehuggers are why I am still a bit grossed out by vaginas. You should never watch Alien before losing your virginity.

Cenobites are a distant second because of what they can do to you, not the scariest designs.

The Thing and 28 Days Later infected are scary though. I remember first seeing 28 Days Later (In a VHS 3 pack with Resident Evil and Dog Soldiers) and I thought "fuck me if zombies could run i'd shoot myself in the head wouldn't even try to stick it out". Not only are they terrifying generally they hit me where it hurts in the cardio/body fears/shame.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The Alien is undoubtedly a work of twisted genius, but I think it has suffered from over familiarity. It isn't all that alien any more. 

Dr Syntax Head

Invasion of the body snatchers pod people. Hiding in plain sight, and fit in even more in our real life socially disconnected world.

Any doppelgänger. It would always know what you'd do to try and get away if it wanted to kill you.

The human brain aaaaahhhh

Dr Syntax Head

The creatures out of The Mist

Patrick Bateman. He is a monster.

Bob out of Twin Peaks

thraxx

Scorpio from Dirty Harry.

Those silent scalpel wielding pale cunts from Buffy.

The weird half-seen twitching creatures that hand around in Jacob's Ladder.

The spiders in Arachnophobia.

Bhazor

Not technically horror but the emotion sucking Polymorph always scared the shite out of me.

newbridge

The aliens from Fire in the Sky.

BlodwynPig

Kryton

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 18, 2018, 09:38:32 PM
the thing scary? PFFFFTT!!

Conceptually yes. To a younger me, yes. Ok it's a bit dated somewhat now, but the general setting of extreme isolation and paranoia is unmatched. Or maybe it isn't? Name a film that suggests a similar tone that surpasses it?

bgmnts

So we are taking into account the situation in the film where the monster appears, not just the monster itself?

Because yeah in the middle of the supermarket the Thing probably isn't that frightening.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kryton on March 18, 2018, 09:45:25 PM
Conceptually yes. To a younger me, yes. Ok it's a bit dated somewhat now, but the general setting of extreme isolation and paranoia is unmatched. Or maybe it isn't? Name a film that suggests a similar tone that surpasses it?

Ostrov (2006)

Kryton

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Kryton on March 18, 2018, 09:45:25 PM
Isn't a matter of being dated; it just wasn't very scary. suspenseful, ya, very

A thing (ha) with a similar tone but surpasses? the x-files thing rip "ice" from season 1 got me way more than the thing

Small Man Big Horse

Klaus Kinski's Nosferatu, a terrifying performance made all the more disturbing by knowing what an abject cunt Kinski could be.

Bhazor

Aged terribly but Nemesis in Resident Evil 3 was fucking terrifying at the time just in how it broke all the established rules of Resi. A boss you have to run from, who chases you through loading screens, appearing in rooms you've already cleared, smashing through the damn ceiling.

They also did that in Resident Evil 2, with the Tyrant in Clair's campaign.

Speaking of implacable gaming baddies:

Dex Sawash

the big fluffy dog/dragon from neverending story

bgmnts

The Langoliers are also pretty fucked up.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on March 18, 2018, 07:20:11 PM
Xenomorph. Not even a contest. Still shit me right up to this day. The whole life span of the facehugger throat raping an egg down your gullet which hatches in your belly and bursts out your gut during dinner.

*adopts Partridge voice*

Stop getting Alien wrong!

Sigourney Weaver put it best, when she said (and I'm paraphrasing here)...

Quote from: Sigourney WeaverPeople always seem to get it wrong with the creature's life-cycle and say that it bursts from a person's stomach.  That's just a bad Mexican meal, right?  No, it bursts from your chest, which is what's so horrific.  The thought of not been able to breathe, as this thing claws its way out of your chest cavity.

Gregory Torso

I was absolutely poo-and-wee terrified of Belial from Basket Case as a kid. I'd see the poster with him sticking out of his little picnic hamper waving his claw, on the wall of the video shop that stank of cigs and wet clothes. Lots of 80s horror film posters that seemed impossibly frightening to my young mind. I've never seen Basket Case. I bet he looks like a lump of Playdoh with boglin eyes.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Gregory Torso on March 19, 2018, 01:54:28 AM
I've never seen Basket Case. I bet he looks like a lump of Playdoh with boglin eyes.

Pretty much...

I like Basket Case but it's more of a horror-comedy, with the emphasis on comedy, than a straight-up horror and that became increasingly clear in the sequels.

bgmnts

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 19, 2018, 01:45:29 AM
*adopts Partridge voice*

Stop getting Alien wrong!

Sigourney Weaver put it best, when she said (and I'm paraphrasing here)...

Ok but it has to burst through the gut to get to the chest no?

Gregory Torso

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 19, 2018, 02:22:51 AM
Pretty much...

See, even that shitty-looking melted latex Bib Fortuna halloween mask, on some level, still sparks a twitch of unease in me. Deep roots.

bgmnts

Its the blob of a hand with the fingernails that do it for me.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on March 19, 2018, 02:35:46 AM
Ok but it has to burst through the gut to get to the chest no?

Seeming as the embryo is planted near the lungs; no.

Quote from: Gregory Torso on March 19, 2018, 02:46:42 AM
See, even that shitty-looking melted latex Bib Fortuna halloween mask...

Wow, good call.  Belial does look like a melted Bib Fortuna!