Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:38:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Scariest horror monsters.

Started by Kryton, March 18, 2018, 07:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 19, 2018, 04:59:55 AM
Seeming as the embryo is planted near the lungs; no.
The 'canon', such as it is (mostly made up post-Giger, and via the 'expanded universe' comics and games) says the facehugger implants a cancer-like tumour (rather than an embryo, which is how it takes on it's host characteristics through DNA exposure) into the oesophagus which then grows into the chest cavity to gestate before hatching.

New page Carter Burke

Dr Syntax Head

The problem is that if something grows in your chest cavity you would know about it because of not being able to breathe as your lungs would be compressed. In Alien that guy was all normal until the thing suddenly burst out of, yes his chest. Surely you'd suffocate first?

And it's your own mind. That's the scariest monster.

St_Eddie

Quote from: buzby on March 19, 2018, 09:00:43 AM
The 'canon', such as it is (mostly made up post-Giger, and via the 'expanded universe' comics and games) says the facehugger implants a cancer-like tumour (rather than an embryo, which is how it takes on it's host characteristics through DNA exposure) into the oesophagus which then grows into the chest cavity to gestate before hatching.

Yes but as you say, that's expanded universe gubbins and not to be taken as canonical to the films.  The only place that I've ever heard that cancer-like tumour explanation, was in the diabolically bad videogame, Aliens: Colonial Marines.  The same game which tried to say that Hadley's Hope survived the blast at the end of Aliens and that Hicks wasn't the same man whom was killed in the cyro-pod at the start of Alien 3.  It's fanwankery of the highest order.

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 19, 2018, 09:17:57 AM
The problem is that if something grows in your chest cavity you would know about it because of not being able to breathe as your lungs would be compressed. In Alien that guy was all normal until the thing suddenly burst out of, yes his chest. Surely you'd suffocate first?

Alien 3 shows us an X-ray of the chestburster gestating inside Ripley and it's located next to her lungs.  It might not make sense scientifically but then again, neither does a tiny chestburster growing into a creature larger than a man, in the space of a couple of hours; or the light year distances traveled by spacecraft, without any time dilation effects; or messages being sent, vast distances across space, instantaneously.  The science in the Alien series has always been highly dubious.  The unlikelihood of being able to breathe with a creature gestating between your lungs is par for the course.

bgmnts

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 19, 2018, 04:59:55 AM
Seeming as the embryo is planted near the lungs; no.

Wow, good call.  Belial does look like a melted Bib Fortuna!

It doesnt go into the belly via the mouth? Fuck i had no idea.

greenman

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 18, 2018, 07:40:57 PM
The Alien is undoubtedly a work of twisted genius, but I think it has suffered from over familiarity. It isn't all that alien any more.

In terms of a creepy villain I actually think Ash in the original has held up much more party for this reason, the scene of him beating up and trying to choke Ripley and his head being reanimated most obviously, excellent performance by Holm.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 19, 2018, 01:18:46 AM
They also did that in Resident Evil 2, with the Tyrant in Clair's campaign.

Speaking of implacable gaming baddies:

yup, I was impressed by its relentlessness and magnitude - worked well in the film.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on March 19, 2018, 10:47:20 AM
It doesnt go into the belly via the mouth? Fuck i had no idea.

Ha.  I see your point.  Given that it gestates between the lungs; the creature would presumably have to break through tissue and flesh to get there, quite some time prior to bursting.  Perhaps that would explain the pangs of extreme pain that Ripley feels throughout Alien 3?  You'd think that a host would die from internal bleeding way before the creature was ready to burst!  As much as I love the Alien series, it really doesn't hold up all that well to scrutiny.

Sin Agog

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 19, 2018, 11:36:30 AM
yup, I was impressed by its relentlessness and magnitude - worked well in the film.

magval

Thriller zombies, especially the one who blows the bubble of black when the camera is panning round Jackson in a circle.

Brundle-Fly

This lot. I find the notion of eternal pain in purgatory quite scary.

Brundle-Fly

And just about every critter in this scene. Hard to believe this film was Cert 12A, Serkis's death is bloody terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHPbTuSOKaA

Namtab

Whatever the fuck the witch/creature thing is in the Beasts episode Baby. Not a film, but man oh man, there's just something so wrong about it.

And the sounds. Christ, the sounds.

BlodwynPig

greenman

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 20, 2018, 04:11:52 PM
And just about every critter in this scene. Hard to believe this film was Cert 12A, Serkis's death is bloody terrifying.

In a similar fashion opening the Ark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEkkdY3-d7c

greenman

Not directly horror but the Nazgul in Bakshi's Lord of the Rings were by far the best thing in it...

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 20, 2018, 04:11:52 PM

I guess they get away with it because it's 'fantasy violence' and there's no gore. If anything should have worried the censors, it's the ludicrously irresponsible gunplay on display.

Noodle Lizard

I don't know if it counts as a "monster", necessarily, but the representation of The Devil in Fellini's Toby Dammit scares me witless:

Steven

The horribly ravenous Teddy Bear/False Teeth thing that lives inside the portal in the bug in D Is For Deloused from The ABCs Of Death 2.

"Those dreadful beady eyes, they stare you out."

itsfredtitmus

linda blair's exorcist face is still the scariest face from any film end of goodbye

Cerys

Few monsters have stuck in my head quite as much as this:

hedgehog90

I'm fascinated by animatronics and old school special fx, so with films like The Thing, Alien, The Fly, etc, there's nothing faintly scary to the figures themselves, personally.

The 2 things that come to mind that shit me up good and proper were the Old Dwarf Woman at the end of Don't Look Now and the tramp behind the diner in Mulholland Dr.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 23, 2018, 06:18:42 PM
linda blair's exorcist face is still the scariest face from any film end of goodbye
had a quick gander at it and it still scares me so much

bgmnts

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 23, 2018, 08:25:52 PM
had a quick gander at it and it still scares me so much

Something for the Phwoar thread for me, personally.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: hedgehog90 on March 23, 2018, 06:56:18 PM
Old Dwarf Woman at the end of Don't Look Now
I laughed myself silly at that moment.

BlodwynPig

Shaky

I also saw this episode of the 80's Twilight Zone as a kid and it really fucked me up:

Weird, faceless men rummaging around your house. Christ.