Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:34:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Last CaB post that made you GUFFAW out loud: The Thread

Started by Nowhere Man, March 19, 2018, 04:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 23, 2019, 12:10:00 AM
Yes, it's ironic that Transformer's guided random output pisses all over that LOLRANDOM shit in HS Art.

Johnny Yesno

Ha, touché.

It's all gone wrong. I'm getting flak from posters whose work I admire. This wasn't supposed to happen.

Johnny Yesno

Yes, it's ironic that Transformer's guided random output pisses all over that LOLRANDOM shit in HS Art.

I hope you know how much that means!

Well done,

You're a man who is willing to say a few words in public without being forced to explain your own ignorance, that is truly genius.

But I'm not sure I believe you. You seem to not be willing to learn things without a direct reason. That kind of thinking makes people mad.

Also, how is that even the point?

I guess I've learned from you,

But it's not like I really gave you much advice either.

I am so sad at your idiocy.

Your idiocy, because I understand where you're coming from but not how you're responding.

Well, that's all over now. I don't have anything but positive things to say about you.

Well done.

So, since you can't read from Wikipedia, you went digging yourself a hole, even dug yourself a bigger one.

You'll be happy to know your dig got you into far worse trouble, that's for sure.

You, uh, don't have any real evidence to back it up, you can only say you found something and it works because it's not just randomness

Cerys

Quote from: Twed on June 24, 2019, 01:22:03 AM
Is any of this worth it if you're turning into a penguin?

Quote from: Fry on June 24, 2019, 01:26:24 AM
Penguins fuck, my good man.

Quote from: Twed on June 24, 2019, 01:41:44 AM
Yeah, but they fuck penguins don't they.

Not so much 'guffaw out loud' as 'paroxysms of silent laughter as I attempt not to wake SNG'.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 22, 2019, 08:20:12 PM
Clatty McCutcheon's Morrissey tracklists in the neural network thread.

Nowhere Man should really get credit, as I used his song titles and the AI cam so with scarily plausible Moz titles, with the possible exception of "Insects!"

Using my own made-up Moz titles from last year prompted the neural network to produce the following additional titles mind you (hopefully the first one isn't a UKIP-sympathising number):

11. The White Tango
12. The Humble Burritos of England's New York
13. How I Want Your Hand And The Hand Of Your Lord
14. Pussy of A Sane Woman, 1956
15. It Will Be You That Sells Me
16. You Are What You Eat
17. There's No Escape! I Can't Wait Any Longer
18. That Boy Is My Mother, He's Only A Baby
19. And Then There Were None
20. What You Do In The Shadows Is Not All That Matters
21. The Rooftop Is Now Yours
22. The Queen's House and the Garden
23. The Unusual Tension of Life
24.  Where's Your Old Stogie
25. The Last Days of the Hairy
26. Where the Wild Go To Sleep - Part 1 and 2
27. Why Doesn't Someone Come Over for Christmas?
28. Wherever You Are I'm You; You Are Me

My fave AI-generated content so far has been Gregory Torso's Last of The Summer Wine reboot, particularly the following passage of bizarro Yorkshire erotica:

"Clegg is in need of a shower in front of a tree and Clegg says that his dick is getting hot but he's a man and his dick gets wet like the dick of a lion."

The series of Paul Ross desolation scenarios alone justifies the existence of AI too.

pancreas

Am I the only one that thinks this AI stuff is missing some vital essence? I'd love to have made the thing, and would be fascinated as to how it works, but the output is weirdly vapid, no? There's no real narrative.

I think the AI machine seems weirdly fucked up and angry

imitationleather

I certainly preferred CaB before the robots moved in.

Replies From View

Quote from: pancreas on June 24, 2019, 03:37:12 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this AI stuff is missing some vital essence? I'd love to have made the thing, and would be fascinated as to how it works, but the output is weirdly vapid, no? There's no real narrative.

No, I definitely agree with this.

Twed

Of course. And this is going to sound really stupid but I think it's true: being able to detect that vapidness is going to be a really important skill from now until the rest of time. Some people can't do it, they just swallow the generated content.

This is all about the funny turns of phrase it comes up with. It still lacks the humanity needed to put together a good work as a whole. The detectable robot-ness of it all makes it funnier, sometimes.

Noonling

Quote from: imitationleather on June 24, 2019, 03:38:24 PM
I certainly preferred CaB before the robots moved in.

Get with the times, grandad. CaB 3.0 is actually much better than previous iterations.

Can't wait til its all bots. Imagine a bot forum, it would be amazing! Each bot would have its own personality and opinions, sometimes they'd go to bot meets and when there's bot drama we'll find out which bots have been fucking for a while now. Threads about repulsiveness will be truly repulsive, to a degree that a human couldn't even imagine. And with deepfakes they could pretend to be real people, put up photos for other bots to mock, and videos of them doing bad comedy.

Twed

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on June 24, 2019, 03:38:19 PM
I think the AI machine seems weirdly fucked up and angry
So it's actually fitting in perfectly.

Quote from: Noonling on June 24, 2019, 03:56:11 PM
Can't wait til its all bots. Imagine a bot forum, it would be amazing! Each bot would have its own personality and opinions, sometimes they'd go to bot meets and when there's bot drama we'll find out which bots have been fucking for a while now. Threads about repulsiveness will be truly repulsive, to a degree that a human couldn't even imagine. And with deepfakes they could pretend to be real people, put up photos for other bots to mock, and videos of them doing bad comedy.

Buelligan

Bots like a birdie's light fluffy feathery bottom?

I agree a bit with some people about the bot thing, I read a tiny bit and then thought I'd stop.  I didn't love it but I don't hate it.

I did find this made me laugh at work some hours after reading it though.

Quote from: Replies From View on June 21, 2019, 10:51:35 PM
Dear Nigel

Please please team up with Boris Johnson and dismantle the NHS and make the entire public sector generate profit for billionaires at the expense of everyone who needs the services - I beg of you.

Best wishes,

Susan (aged 6)

Replies From View

Can't wait til its all bots. Imagine a bot forum, it would be amazing! Each bot would have its own personality and opinions, sometimes they'd go to bot meets and when there's bot drama we'll find out which bots have been fucking for a while now.

Pingers

That bot that just goes "Jodie Comer", "Your mum". Just about any human could do better than that.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Twed on June 24, 2019, 03:54:43 PM
Of course. And this is going to sound really stupid but I think it's true: being able to detect that vapidness is going to be a really important skill from now until the rest of time. Some people can't do it, they just swallow the generated content.

it's going to get harder & harder to detect the uncanny valley stuff the more time we spend indoors & not actually interfacing with real people & things. the bots know this.

at the moment, it's like leaving two furbies to it, just lobbing in a key-word every now & then. but they're getting better, & we're getting easier to fool.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on June 24, 2019, 08:09:26 PM
"bruce...."
"quentin."
"bruce... I know it's a thing that you do... but in this scene, can you not talk to the audience? thing is, john... 'vincent'... is in the can, right there, & he'd hear ya."
"yeah, but I don't know he's in there, do I? look, you wanna get somebody else...?
"no no no no no....."
"well then. I'll keep it down, but I'm gonna do it."

Bruce's final defiance really brought this one home.

Twed

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on June 24, 2019, 07:59:50 PM
it's going to get harder & harder to detect the uncanny valley stuff the more time we spend indoors & not actually interfacing with real people & things. the bots know this.
Let's give this a shot: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=73880

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Unnecessary Biscuits on June 24, 2019, 11:51:21 AM
Last night this man was in my dream, I recognise him from town, he's one of the many Mark Knopfler lookalikes we have here***. But his face was like very dark leather, very dark suede I should say. If you had a tweed jacket with one of the patches missing, just slice one of his cheeks off and you'd be good to go. At about 4 I got up for a leak and when I nodded off again he was still there. I think he'd been sitting on the benches outside the Civic Centre waiting for me to fall back asleep again. Really dark leather it was - he made David Dickinson look like a goth.

***We have the highest concentration of Mark Knopfler lookalikes in Western Europe in my home town. We have three Bee Gees also, but they're all Barry. You'd think they'd bus two of the Barrys out and get us a Maurice and a Robin but the Council do nothing. Nothing. £120,000 a year that Director's on, it makes you sick it does. Can't even unhomogenise the local Bee Gee-alike presence.

Johnny Yesno

Am I the only one that thinks this AI stuff is missing some vital essence?

Its output certainly requires effort in separating the wheat from the chaff, but at the risk of upsetting people again, I'd level exactly the same criticism at much of the human output in HS Art.

It's hard to know whether it's the knowledge that it's the work of an AI agent that makes TTT funny or if it stands up on its own, so perhaps it's not a fair comparison. What I will say is that if BOTRANDOM can make me laugh as much as it does with its chaotic approach to creativity, it serves to highlight the craftsmanship and quality control of the work of the likes of yer Greg Torsos and yer Pijlstaarts.

And for the sake of doubt, I'm not having a pop at the impressive work that goes into threads like the photography thread, or people doing their best to tell an interesting story. It's the threads that attempt to build some kind of lore using just a title plus a single line of text and a lazily photoshopped image if you're lucky: 'Finish this for me cos I can't be arsed'. Well, there's some software that can do that for you now...

Twed

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 24, 2019, 08:39:56 PM
Its output certainly requires effort in separating the wheat from the chaff, but at the risk of upsetting people again, I'd level exactly the same criticism at much of the human output in HS Art.
I think HS Art and the comedy derived from the AI is based around being tickled by the certain phrasing of a word, or the silliness in an image. Yes, it's not deep, but not all of comedy has to be rooted in some deep idea that satisfies the soul. It's just tickles, and that's valid too.

a duncandisorderly

Replies From View

threads that attempt to build some kind of lore

I think this is assuming a lot more pretentiousness than is going on, to be fair.

pancreas

It's hard to know whether it's the knowledge that it's the work of an AI agent that makes TTT funny or if it stands up on its own, so perhaps it's not a fair comparison. What I will say is that if BOTRANDOM can make me laugh as much as it does with its chaotic approach to creativity, it serves to highlight the craftsmanship and quality control of the work of the likes of yer Greg Torsos and yer Pijlstaarts.

And for the sake of doubt, I'm not having a pop at the impressive work that goes into threads like the photography thread, or people doing their best to tell an interesting story. It's the threads that attempt to build some kind of lore using just a title plus a single line of text and a lazily photoshopped image if you're lucky: 'Finish this for me cos I can't be arsed'. Well, there's some software that can do that for you now...

Yeah, I think you need to fuck off with this now. You don't seem to recognise you have a particular taste and AI generated bullshit is somewhere on that spectrum along with Torso and Pijlstaart. If I were them, I wouldn't be taking it as a compliment.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Twed on June 24, 2019, 08:49:38 PM
I think HS Art and the comedy derived from the AI is based around being tickled by the certain phrasing of a word, or the silliness in an image. Yes, it's not deep, but not all of comedy has to be rooted in some deep idea that satisfies the soul. It's just tickles, and that's valid too.

Oh, I agree, but even nonsense can be crafted or at least quality controlled.

pancreas

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 24, 2019, 09:05:52 PM
Oh, I agree, but even nonsense can be crafted or at least quality controlled.

Neither of them write nonsense. I also can't think of anyone on HS Art who does.

Inspector Norse

As a new poster, I've enjoyed the Transformer thread because I like the contradictions and bizarre diversions it throws up, and it's easy to join in on it without having to be one of the gang here.
I've looked through a few threads in HS Art and find a lot of them unfathomable and not funny, but that's partly because there are injokes that have been flying around for fifteen years and partly the hit-and-miss, subjective nature of surrealism and wordplay.