Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:47:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Last CaB post that made you GUFFAW out loud: The Thread

Started by Nowhere Man, March 19, 2018, 04:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

An agreement was made. There is nothing further to discuss

Sebastian Cobb

Yep. Every Cabber has now used up their happiness quotient.

touchingcloth

I'm a mega Threads fan. I've watched it a million times.

BlodwynPig

Pink Gregory

Appropriately, from the 'how childish are you?' thread

Quote from: NJ Uncut on November 04, 2019, 04:22:18 PMshitting noises, plops, the lot

'the lot' stayed with me for a good few days

Barry Admin

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 07, 2019, 08:40:22 AM
Yep. Every Cabber has now used up their happiness quotient. to stop being so neurotic about whether something is "worth" a thread, and accept that it's fine to make discussions about smaller, personal events, and indeed, that this is what made CaB good in the first place. Not every thread has to last for hundreds of pages.

FTFY.

Edit: I mean, just take a small idea and then spend 5 seconds thinking of a way to make it relatable to other people. It's not brain surgery.

BlodwynPig

madhair60

Barry Admin

It's nothing to do with happiness or laughter, it's to do with "things threads":

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,9464.0.html

The arguments quoted in that first post are bang on.  I noticed it 15 years ago, and let it play out until we got to that point above, and that's how it's been ever since.

BlodwynPig

This is a things thread, or at least a compendium of CaB's subjective 'funniest bits'. Like the ghost of Beadle taunting you from beyond the grave "look, a granny tumbling into the sea...fully clothed!"

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 07, 2019, 10:12:12 AM
FTFY.

Edit: I mean, just take a small idea and then spend 5 seconds thinking of a way to make it relatable to other people. It's not brain surgery.

It was a churlish comment about cabbers being miserable. I don't think it's me being neurotic.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 07, 2019, 11:17:35 AM
It was a churlish comment about cabbers being miserable. I don't think it's me being neurotic.

I didn't mean to suggest otherwise, I was talking about the forum as a whole, or talking about it in a more general manner.

More people should follow my example. Just think of almost anything and with a bit of sustenance you can turn it into a three page thread to get up Danger Man's nose.

Barry Admin

Just saw that Oscillations thread. There is no "customary ten pages", stop taking the piss and putting me in this shitty, miserable position.

To clarify, I have no interest in lists, I don't particularly object to list threads though. Rather, I object to meandering threads with no real direction that go on for 100 pages, and are mostly about quick-fire posting rather than engaging in discussion with others. All-encompassing threads that suck up a lot of niche tangents that go to make for an interesting and diverse forum.

That's what "list threads" are, that's what "things threads" are - they're almost like mini sub-forums in and of themselves.

And no, there shouldn't be eg "what films have you been watching?" threads either, but no-one fucking listens to me, and I don't give a shit about films anyway.

On topic, I've been enjoying idunnosomename's "Jo Swinson's Liberal Democrats" posts.

Head Gardener

pancreas

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: DistressedArea on November 06, 2019, 09:55:21 AM
When you say 'cleaner', do you really mean hitman? 
Because I find that sort of industry-specific jargon very othering, and I think you should just say what you mean.

And Buelligan's reply.

Needless to say, I'm triggered.

Mobius

Not sure why this tickled me so much

Quote from: DistressedArea on November 07, 2019, 08:42:44 PM
There's a creepy man who lives near me, and I'm pretty sure he's been driving my car when I'm not there.  Got a phone call the other day, and it was just a raspy voice whispering 'buy petrol' over and over again.

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 07, 2019, 10:07:51 PM
Is its opener still "Hello! It's me! The toilet!"

Awful as fuck though that is, I was always able to amuse myself thinking about the poor sucker of an actor who had to go into a sound booth with that script.

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 08, 2019, 12:15:04 AM
Didn't they not actually even pay an actor, but award the opportunity to voice the toilet as a prize in some shitty competition or something?

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on November 08, 2019, 01:08:09 AM
Yeah I think the winning shit was 8 kilos.

Still laughing.

Blue Jam

Was just wondering where RONALADO had got to when I found this old post of his:

Quote from: Ronalado on December 21, 2018, 11:31:42 AM

Click for context... come back RONALADO, I love you more than you love yourself.

non capisco

Quote from: Shaky on November 08, 2019, 12:50:12 PM
10 minutes into the introductory session for my Uni course, following some basic house-keeping stuff, the tutor light-heartedly said, "Well, everyone can go home now!" I took one look around the group of 30 or so people, decided that clearly no-one wanted to be the first to walk out so I took the lead and bombed towards the door. I vividly remember closing it to the sounds of the room totally cracking up at my abrupt departure. To make matters worse, I waited a few moments before sticking my head into the room again, looking around silently, then exiting for good.

I was "that guy" for quite a while after that.

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on November 08, 2019, 01:49:28 PM
A young guy from a neighbouring authority was visiting the council department where I work to shadow a couple of our officers on food hygiene inspections. Before he arrived a couple of colleagues who knew him were talking about how he and his male partner had recently bought a house together and what a lovely couple they were. The guy was looking a bit anxious, so in an attempt to reassure him that we weren't into unnecessary bureaucracy, the officer taking him out for the morning said "No, we don't go in for that anal stuff here."

imitationleather

I thought Shaky's post was great too. It's the sort of thing Homer Simpson did at college.

Ferris

Replies From View

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: NJ Uncut on November 06, 2019, 08:34:21 PM
I did a little smile, because me and him did agree ten pages was OK, and I'm actually really happy that thread even GOT to ten pages... he was good letting it stay open

But actually closing it did strike me funny in a "he's gonna look miserable" sort of way, despite it being something I knew would happen

My brief glimpse of happiness was that thread for every day it was open, and I'm smiling right now because it was against the rules but was permitted for ten pages - some better threads never get that many!

can it still be read somewhere? I can't find it now. I liked that thread.

I think there should be a new section alongside GB & the rest, for threads that are lists of things or whatever.
then people that don't want to be arsed them will be able to avoid them even more easily than they can already.

Sebastian Cobb

I do lament the passing of knowing what people like head gardner are listening to tbh. And closing the door on information I find useful certainly doesn't encourage me to put the effort in to format and share information in Oscillations.

Twed

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 09, 2019, 02:48:04 PM
I do lament the passing of knowing what people like head gardner are listening to tbh. And closing the door on information I find useful certainly doesn't encourage me to put the effort in to format and share information in Oscillations.

Well, that and also when you do try and start a thread about something that's a bit niche, it tends to die on its arse, or you're the only one bumping it because nobody else cares.

That's fair enough, can't expect everyone to give a shit about whatever nonsense I'm wasting my time on, but I don't mind the list threads in moderation because they probably get better visibility for whatever I'm referencing, which may lead to more people getting into those things, which may then spawn more fruitful single-topic threads.

I dunno, I don't have the answers. Sorry if this discussion is pissing you off Barry Admin - I'm not trying to undermine anyone, just my 2 cents. I won't go on about it any more.