Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:17:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Last CaB post that made you GUFFAW out loud: The Thread

Started by Nowhere Man, March 19, 2018, 04:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 09, 2019, 03:25:57 PM
Well, that and also when you do try and start a thread about something that's a bit niche, it tends to die on its arse, or you're the only one bumping it because nobody else cares.

mate you've had a shitload of replies in that second thread. you should see the state of my oscillations threads!

Ferris

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 09, 2019, 02:48:04 PM
I do lament the passing of knowing what people like head gardner are listening to tbh. And closing the door on information I find useful certainly doesn't encourage me to put the effort in to format and share information in Oscillations.

Yeah, the film forum has list type threads, but music lends itself to that closed What're You Listening To thread. Sticking on a bit of Grauzone and putting it out there as a single post recommend isn't really.. Suitable for a solo thread, where I'd expect the quality of the OP to be higher than "hey guys this song is good what do u think"

I understand it for life events n that, but media is consumed... Just look at the comedy forum, loads of list threads about small moments, recent stand up you've seen, upsetting moments.. Just don't see the difference

Shrug!

Barry Admin

Post a thread specifically about Grauzone then.

I think this is all just deliberate shit-stirring tbh. You took me moving a thread as a personal attack. I clarified that it wasn't and that I was trying to get back to in-depth discussion instead of megathreads.

Then later that same day you start "brief glimpses" in response, to wind me up. One of the longest running ever megathreads on here, with a near identical title.

I try and compromise, and say I'll give it ten pages, so then you go and start up "what are you listening to?" again, to push the issue more, and drag me even further into this shitty unenviable position.

That's what pissed me off, just like it was presumably meant to. Not this discussion.

Sin Agog

Quote from: NJ Uncut on November 09, 2019, 04:14:18 PM
Yeah, the film forum has list type threads, but music lends itself to that closed What're You Listening To thread. Sticking on a bit of Grauzone and putting it out there as a single post recommend isn't really.. Suitable for a solo thread, where I'd expect the quality of the OP to be higher than "hey guys this song is good what do u think"

I understand it for life events n that, but media is consumed... Just look at the comedy forum, loads of list threads about small moments, recent stand up you've seen, upsetting moments.. Just don't see the difference

Shrug!

I think the difference between writing about film and writing about music is, aside from quoting biographical malarkey from the liner notes, the only way to say anything substantial about songs is by going all impressionistic and adjective-heavy, a skill not everyone has, and one I certainly don't.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 09, 2019, 04:51:05 PM
Post a thread specifically about Grauzone then.

I think this is all just deliberate shit-stirring tbh. You took me moving a thread as a personal attack. I clarified that it wasn't and that I was trying to get back to in-depth discussion instead of megathreads.

[There's been iterations of this thread before, running to almost 200 pages each with the two most popular ones. I have ADHD or something and really can't stand to read the same threads over and over again for days, months, years.]

I can't speak for everyone, but I quite like the threads that ramble on a a bit, or that get woken up again after a year or so dormant. if they're reaching 100 & odd pages, clearly they're popular. I tend to ignore the threads that don't grab my attention immediately. are we running out of server space or something?

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 09, 2019, 04:51:05 PM
Post a thread about Grauzone then.

Then later that same day you start "brief glimpses" in response, to wind me up. One of the longest running ever megathreads on here, with a near identical title.

I try and compromise, and say I'll give it ten pages, so then you go and start "what are you listening to?" That's what pissed me off,just like it evidently was meant to.

You wha.

You're reading into intent I don't have. But why didn't you notice I thanked you very sincerely for giving the Glimpses thread even ten pages? I may post a load of shite, but from my point of view, I mean it :)

The Whatre You Listening To thread on the other hand, I was surprised by seeing closed two weeks later. Mainly because I made it at the same time almost and lampshaded our chat? I was knowingly being a rebel see, guilty, but uh, not with all the late umbrage. So uh, it's a fair cop, but please don't ascribe malice to what I'll happily admit to as drunken narcissism, it simply wasn't like that. Sorry if it actively pissed you off, I see why you have that interpretation, and I'm sorry I've come off that way.

Stick me with the bill for making a couple of threads that you don't like, but I'm not feeling particularly hard done by. I'm proud of that Glimpses thread, was ace. And it rumbled on for nine more pages from our agreement. Frankly, I feel like I got what I wanted - and I thank you again for allowing it, as ten pages is generous.

The thing is, it's not largely me banging on about either thread on here as if it is totes shocking. That's, from my point of view, nice.

No hard feelings Bazza. One man's cheeky testing the waters is another man's being a quarrelsome shit stirrer. :/

Barry Admin

Ok, I'll take you at your word.

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on November 09, 2019, 05:24:15 PM
I can't speak for everyone, but I quite like the threads that ramble on a a bit, or that get woken up again after a year or so dormant. if they're reaching 100 & odd pages, clearly they're popular. I tend to ignore the threads that don't grab my attention immediately. are we running out of server space or something?

I don't like them. I want the forum to suit my tastes, and not yours. Or the tastes of people who don't want to make the effort to start more specific threads, but do want to expend effort on constantly relitigating this same bloody argument.

I give up on this now. There are arguments on both sides, I'm well aware of every single one of them.

Cerys

It's like the difference between a tray of deluxe chocolates from Thorntons, and a reduced for quick sale bag of assorted stuff from Molly's.  The chocs are more special, but the bag of old sticky tooth-destroyers is somehow more fun to pick through because there's no commitment.  You can take out a toffee, suck it for a bit, and then put it back - safe in the knowledge that the next person to shove their hand in there for a quick nom isn't going to notice that the sticky thing they've just crammed in their gob is, in fact, liberally coated in your foul, stinking spit.  You will have performed a victimless slime.  And after all, isn't that what we all want - deep down?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 09, 2019, 05:42:52 PM
Ok, I'll take you at your word.

I don't like them. I want the forum to suit my tastes, and not yours.

wow. ok....

Barry Admin

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on November 09, 2019, 06:02:00 PM
wow. ok....

What am I supposed to say? I feel like I have to be that blunt because people aren't listening to the preference I've given for my own forum.

BlodwynPig

Can we start a new thread for this particular convo?

It's a shame with the What're You Listening To thread, as it did serve a wonderful purpose and I discovered loads of music that would never have been posted on it's own as doing so wouldn't have warranted an exclusive thread. If people had posted a new thread for every single song or album they'd enjoyed, there'd be 0 or 1 or 2 answers...people did have a bad habit of just posting a link with no explanation and were rightly scrutinised for doing so, but apart from that I liked the show and tell aspect of it; "heard this song on the radio this morning and I can't stop listening to it" kind of stuff that wouldn't be viable to start a thread about. Itd be nice if both styles of thread could exist really...as you've said, youve heard both sides of the arguments many times so your view is understandable and it's your forum

pigamus

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 09, 2019, 06:06:08 PM
What am I supposed to say? I feel like I have to be that blunt because people aren't listening to the preference I've given for my own forum.

I'll be completely honest - I think your arguments on this are a bit weak.

Sorry about that.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 09, 2019, 06:06:08 PM

well, I've enjoyed being here, but I am poised to flounce right now. I've clearly misunderstood something fairly basic about how this place works.

pancreas

If you want to flounce then do start your own thread for the purpose. This is already at 95 pages ffs.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

alan nagsworth

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on November 09, 2019, 06:28:45 PM
well, I've enjoyed being here, but I am poised to flounce right now. I've clearly misunderstood something fairly basic about how this place works.

This isn't related to the argument at hand at all because I cannot be fucked to wade in on this any more but speaking purely about your attitude there, I think you need to get over yourself a bit.

I'm also not going to plead for you not to leave, but you are a very good poster whose anecdotes and information are always an entertaining read, and I don't think the lack of list threads is something that would hinder that.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 09, 2019, 06:52:25 PM
This isn't related to the argument at hand at all because I cannot be fucked to wade in on this any more but speaking purely about your attitude there, I think you need to get over yourself a bit.

I'm also not going to plead for you not to leave, but you are a very good poster whose anecdotes and information are always an entertaining read, and I don't think the lack of list threads is something that would hinder that.

I expect you're right. it's Barry's forum, & he doesn't like listy threads.

I liked the 'brief glimpses' thread, & thought it was just the sort of thing we could do with more of, instead of hundreds of "get a load of this banging tune!" facebook-style link posts that seldom attract more than a page of replies before fizzling out or turning into something unrelated. I find that clutters up the forum, but I manage to ignore it if I'm not interested.
Barry feels the opposite, prefers threads to have quite specific titles & themes, rather than these massive long lists running to tens of pages & meandering all over the subject.
there's room for both, IMHO, but I haven't been running the forum for twenty years, so my tastes are irrelevant. fair enough.

Twed

Fuck I thought this cunt was finally going to leave.

Cardenio I

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 09, 2019, 06:07:01 PM
Can we start a new thread for this particular convo?

This CaB post made me guffaw out loud.

Thursday

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on November 09, 2019, 07:12:53 PM
I expect you're right. it's Barry's forum, & he doesn't like listy threads.

Barry's being blunt because it's something he's asked for so many times, over the years, which is something you might not have noticed if you've been here a relatively short time. It's not as if all-encompassing threads are going to disappear completely, he just wants people to make a bit more effort because it'll make the forum better for everyone. I'm not sure I entirely agree with the way he thinks on this, but I respect it comes from a good place.

Twed

Quote from: Thursday on November 09, 2019, 07:43:31 PM
Barry's being blunt because it's something he's asked for so many times, over the years, which is something you might not have noticed if you've been here a relatively short time.
A short and ugly time.

pancreas

popcorn

I don't necessarily agree with all of Barry's feelings on threads, but I gotta say when I read this...

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 09, 2019, 05:42:52 PM
I don't like them. I want the forum to suit my tastes, and not yours.

... I thought: yes mate get in.

It's Barry's forum, he has his own opinions about what makes a forum good or bad - for him not to enforce those would make no sense at all.

BlodwynPig

New folder

I always thought that a forum is primarily driven by its community

marquis_de_sad

CaB has one of the most hands-off approach to admin going. It was only last week that people were having a go at Barry (again) for not banning certain people sooner. He's damned if he does and damned if he don't.