Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:34:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nespresso. Mate

Started by madhair60, March 19, 2018, 09:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on March 19, 2018, 07:00:04 PM
Utterly spot on.  It is quite good for what it is but it doesn't compare with real coffee.  It is amazing that businesses like this (Apple to an extent and some others) have started building business models based on making it more difficult to get the product.  The exclusivity must make people think it is actually good.

There must be people in small towns who need to get it delivered or drive to the nearest big town.  Or there are people desperately waiting for a nespresso store to open nearby.

Or really super-exclusive people like me, just keeping it in an unopened box.  Schrödinger's coffee. That is how exclusive my lifestyle is.

I might even try it in my exclusive trebuchet some fine day.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on March 19, 2018, 07:00:04 PM
Utterly spot on.  It is quite good for what it is but it doesn't compare with real coffee.  It is amazing that businesses like this (Apple to an extent and some others) have started building business models based on making it more difficult to get the product.  The exclusivity must make people think it is actually good.

There must be people in small towns who need to get it delivered or drive to the nearest big town.  Or there are people desperately waiting for a nespresso store to open nearby.

The epitome of that was the $399 internet connected juicer.

https://www.vox.com/new-money/2017/4/21/15376038/juicero-explained

It worked on bags of pre-juiced fruits, which you could simply squeeze by hand.

Buelligan

You can actually buy completely biodegradable bags of organic juice that can be squeezed by hand, they come in every imaginable fruit flavour and are pretty cheap if you buy locally and in season.  And what's even more amazing is, you can actually grow them yourself - for free.

MojoJojo

Only if you value your own time on this earth as worthless.

Not that I'm defending the product.

Buelligan

Do you mean time spent growing fruit?

imitationleather

I have a Nespresso machine but I don't use it because the pods cost too much and they take up too much space after you've used them.

Coffee with a chemex or V60 is allll you need. I find the Aeropress a bit of a faff and the danger of causing myself serious damage because you have to do it upside down to make it best isn't what I need when I am trying to wake up.

bgmnts

How do you grow a biodegradable bag full of fruit?

Buelligan

Plant something and let nature do the rest.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 19, 2018, 07:10:31 PM
The epitome of that was the $399 internet connected juicer.

https://www.vox.com/new-money/2017/4/21/15376038/juicero-explained

It worked on bags of pre-juiced fruits, which you could simply squeeze by hand.

Phenomenal stuff.

Juicero's goal wasn't so much to build a conventional kitchen appliance as to create a technology "platform" for delivering juice to consumers. Juicero wanted to lock customers into buying a steady stream of juice packs from Juicero, and in the future, maybe other food-related products — in much the same way that an Amazon Prime subscription locks customers into buying a steady stream of packages from Amazon. Juicero's plan for doing this was to add a wifi chip and a QR code reader to the device.

Consignia

Do people not use cafetieres anymore? It seems it has to be either some mad contraption that only takes proprietary thimbles or re-purposed penis enlargers.

imitationleather

Quote from: Consignia on March 19, 2018, 09:33:01 PM
Do people not use cafetieres anymore? It seems it has to be either some mad contraption that only takes proprietary thimbles or re-purposed penis enlargers.

Once you get past the "I am destructing a council estate doing this! And replacing it with really expensive places! Ahahahaha!" you realise the coffee is not that good compared to other methods. Fucking grinds in your cup, man.

bgmnts

Has anyone worked in an office/workshop where they have a cafetiere? That takes the biscuit, for me.

Buelligan

Quote from: Consignia on March 19, 2018, 09:33:01 PM

Old age britishers or yanks who do not know what coffee tastes like probably still do in secret.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Buelligan on March 19, 2018, 07:04:48 PM
Or really super-exclusive people like me, just keeping it in an unopened box.  Schrödinger's coffee. That is how exclusive my lifestyle is.

I might even try it in my exclusive trebuchet some fine day.

The problem with Schrödinger's coffee is it seems like it is filled with endless possibilities before you open the box but once opened, you realise there isn't even any coffee and big Erwin was just selling boxes of ideas.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: bgmnts on March 19, 2018, 09:37:06 PM
Has anyone worked in an office/workshop where they have a cafetiere? That takes the biscuit, for me.

It is better to put the coffee into a cup and then put the biscuit into the coffee.  Otherwise the biscuit will just get all covered in coffee grains.

Buelligan

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on March 19, 2018, 09:39:31 PM
The problem with Schrödinger's coffee is it seems like it is filled with endless possibilities before you open the box but once opened, you realise there isn't even any coffee and big Erwin was just selling boxes of ideas.

I've got tons of those (unboxed), piled up all over the place.  Not in the market at all.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on March 19, 2018, 09:24:05 PM
How do you grow a biodegradable bag full of fruit?

*points at crotch*