Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:38:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Funny or Offensive?

Started by Bert, February 03, 2004, 01:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

On Sunday night, I stayed late at work to set up certain bays, including a Valentines Day gondola. as an extention of this, I was instructed to go around the store putting "Make it a Valentines Day to Remember" stickers on certain products.

The products in question included confectionary, videos, facial saunas and, at my manager's insistance, ironing boards (on the grounds that it would be "funny").

Obviously, there is no doubt that the advertising is honest - any man who buys his girlfriend or wife an ironing board for Valentines day will surely long remember the day he switched from tenor to castrato, but is it offensive and chauvanistic? Your opinions please...

gazzyk1ns

Slightly separated from the ethical debate on whether it's funny or not, the guy who told you to do that is clearly an idiot... does he enjoy (potentially) offending customers and/or having to deal with complaints?

I suppose that's the thing though... I think in cases like these, where people say they're offended, what they actually mean is that the person responsible is clearly a thick twat and ideally deserves some kind of "comeuppance" in order to teach him a bit of a lesson.

Someone would have some serious explaining to do in order to convince me that that's "offensive", especially in light of the fact that the guy apparently did it for a laugh and not to make any kind of sexist statement. Having said that, it's certainly not "funny" either.

So, my conclusion: Not offensive, not funny, and a bit of a stupid thing to ask you to do.

splattermac

funny

i was going to accuse you of thinking too much but,

who says a woman wouldn't buy a man a romantic ironing board?

what about young first time buyers, in the shop, 'honey, we need an ironing board' swoon smooch smooch, mop and bucket to aisle 5 please.

there must be a third one just to kick sand in that PC face of yours but I can't think of it

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "splattermac"

who says a woman wouldn't buy a man a romantic ironing board?

Everyone?

Bert

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Slightly separated from the ethical debate on whether it's funny or not, the guy who told you to do that is clearly an idiot.

No arguments there

TOCMFIC

It IS funny. But the guy is a twat for doing that in a customer service business. In my experience, the public at large are :

A)  Lacking a sense of humor
B) Morons
C) Will whine about any little thing

I would forward any complaints straight onto the twat:)

Cerys

I like ironing boards.  We never had one when I was a kid; we had to use the dining table with a thick cloth on it.  I liberated my current board from the dustbins.  A pair of pliers and it was as good as new.  However, if NG had bought me one for Valentine's Day, I'd have seen the funny side of it.  Mostly because we don't do Valentine's Day....

fanny splendid

Quote from: "splattermac"who says a woman wouldn't buy a man a romantic ironing board?

Nice point.

Not sharp and pokey, but rounded.

Yet still enough for a good prod...

Cerys

Which begs the question, exactly what constitutes romantic ironing?

fanny splendid

Or even ironic romanticism.

Cerys

Now you're just being silly....

Uncle_Z

A woman at my last place of work kept on and on for months that she wanted her fella to buy her a Dyson.  He did so, and had it delivered to work on Valentines Day (wrapped up in ribbons and balloons).

He also sent her two bouquets of flowers to work (one morning, one afternoon) and whisked her away to parts forrin for the weekend.

He got endless shit for getting her a domestic appliance as a Valentines gift.

I felt quite sorry for him.

A few months later I found out he was an alcohol fuelled wifebeater / hangover fuelled apologist whose insult of choice was a suggestion that she was in an incestuous relationship with her son (previous marriage).

fanny splendid

Or offensive...

And so the thread comes full circle.

Hurrah!

DonkeyRods

My reaction would totally depend on who it came from. If one of my good freinds had the idea, I'd probably have a little chuckle, but if it came from certain other mates I'd think "you miserable sexist cunt, no wonder you're single". Same with the shops. If it was in a shop I liked, I'd probably think it was funny in a harmless kinda way, but if it was in a twatty shop like BO Experience then I'd probably go at it with some chromed-up diamond cut kitchen knives.

fanny splendid

Quote from: "DonkeyRods"but if it was in a twatty shop like BO Experience

You mean like this..?