Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:40:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Man guilty of owning racist dog [merged]

Started by Paulie Walnuts, March 20, 2018, 01:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Quote from: ollyboro on March 21, 2018, 10:59:18 PM
Who decides if enough people are bothered, or upset?
The courts, by reference to guidance and case law.

QuoteWho decides?
The courts, by reference to guidance and case law.

We can recognise that there are problems with this process, and we need to fix them but these aren't because some judgement is required at some point. Plenty of laws depend on appraisals of what reasonable people would make of a situation - this is fuzzy sometimes, but it probably should be a bit fuzzy.

QuoteThere are people in Britain offended by the sight of a female knee. Should we listen to them?
I don't think so, no.

QuoteOpenly inciting hatred is one thing, telling a shit joke is quite another.
Yes, this is true.

Noodle Lizard

Here's another thing, which I'm genuinely asking for elaboration on since I'm not particularly au fait with UK hate crime laws at the moment, but is it actually a crime to be antisemitic (or racist/homophobic/whatever) and express that openly?  If someone were to make a sincere YouTube video wherein they go on about the Jews being a force for evil throughout history, would that be prosecutable?  What about Holocaust deniers like David Irving, who as far as I know hasn't been prosecuted?

Not that I think they necessarily should be prosecuted, but you'd imagine that sort of thing would be of more immediate concern than a bloke fucking around with a pug.

biggytitbo

I presume it's hate crime. Of course, in our Orwellian present, a hate crime doesn't have to be a crime!

QuoteIf someone does something that isn't a criminal offence but the victim, or anyone else, believes it was motivated by prejudice or hate, we would class this as a 'hate incident'. Though what the perpetrator has done may not be against the law, their reasons for doing it are. This means it may be possible to charge them with an offence.

So if someone takes offence, you can still be charged even if you commited no crime.

Zetetic

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on March 21, 2018, 10:08:47 PM
, I think the problem is the court is presented with a video of a man saying "gas the jews" to his dog to make it give a Hitler salute.

I've not seen the video since he was arrested, but let's get one thing clear:

The Pug zeig heils to "Zeig Heil", and LOOKS EXCITED at the notion of jews and/or the gassing thereof.

phantom_power

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 22, 2018, 07:02:17 AM
I presume it's hate crime. Of course, in our Orwellian present, a hate crime doesn't have to be a crime!

So if someone takes offence, you can still be charged even if you commited no crime.

Orwellian? Have a word with yourself

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Hobo With A Shit Pun on March 22, 2018, 10:11:34 AM
I've not seen the video since he was arrested, but let's get one thing clear:

The Pug zeig heils to "Zeig Heil", and LOOKS EXCITED at the notion of jews and/or the gassing thereof.

I stand corrected, mein Herr.

biggytitbo

Quote from: phantom_power on March 22, 2018, 10:48:01 AM
Orwellian? Have a word with yourself

I did - that word was 'thoughtcrime'.

bgmnts

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 22, 2018, 12:50:49 PM

I did - that word was 'thoughtcrime'.

2+2=anti-Russian propaganda?

I can get behind this.

biggytitbo

Not really, that's what Orwellian means. It's not confined to only describing the literal world of 1984.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 22, 2018, 01:13:33 PM
True - but some posters love the sound of their own keyboard.

I used a touchscreen, grandad.

idunnosomename

I hate how this thread isn't titled "Nazi pugs fuck off"

But then it is forum ballbag Paulie Walnuts

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on March 20, 2018, 09:52:35 PM
what's the difference between someone doing this and being sincere and someone doing it for bants?

his politics and the company he keeps

rjd2

was just going to post that, it's excellent

gatchamandave

Quote from: bgmnts on March 21, 2018, 08:27:01 PM
I wonder if there were Germans in the cinemas during the 30s going "lol its just a joke".

Herman Goering at Nuremberg, "just bants mate".

Legend Goering0

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 22, 2018, 01:12:43 PM
Not really, that's what Orwellian means. It's not confined to only describing the literal world of 1984.

Animal farm is mostly about pigs being trained to walk upright. That's not the same.

king_tubby

biggytitbo

I Iike the idea that the only other place you'd get into trouble for encouraging a dog to do a Nazi salute at Hitler is Nazi Germany itself. Not least because its literally true - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-12139150

canadagoose

Barry Admin

biggytitbo

Gassing people is just not on IMHO.