Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:44:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Man guilty of owning racist dog [merged]

Started by Paulie Walnuts, March 20, 2018, 01:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manticore

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 23, 2018, 11:35:20 PM
What's the Alan Partridge thing, I've not heard about that.

Someone said on a thread a while back that Partridges' song about 'Curly black and kinky, mixed with yellow chinky' had been edited out of repeats on whatever channel they're being shown on now.

colacentral

What I hate about that Gervais tweet is how condescending it is. It's more self-mythologising. Pie is supposed to feel so humbled by the legendary Ricky Gervais complimenting him.

RoadMaintenanceTycoon

Quote from: colacentral on March 24, 2018, 12:54:52 AM
What I hate about that Gervais tweet is how condescending it is. It's more self-mythologising. Pie is supposed to feel so humbled by the legendary Ricky Gervais complimenting him.

I don't know. If it were anyone else saying it, it would just seem like an effusive compliment.

Don't know if this has been mentioned backthread, but that Johnathan Pie video fucking suuuuuucks. People  are going insane over the top praising it. Crazy.

Edit - oh it was mentioned like 5 posts ago, sorry, but it really is a big pile of shit.

idunnosomename

The conceit doesn't work either. He does a straight to-camera, then he decides to talk to the cameraman, who stands there holding the camera? Why not at least change the angle and put a filter on it? Oh because it's just him shouting at a tripod. Shit.

manticore

Quote from: asids on March 23, 2018, 09:35:47 PM
On the subject of Pie, here's a good write-up on him and his association with Spiked writer Andrew Doyle I came across on Twitter today: http://libcom.org/blog/unsurprising-reason-jonathan-pie-rants-sound-straight-out-spiked-06022018

That article is just tripe, about 80% guilt-by-association. And yes, trying to break up political meetings is a fascist-like tactic, even if it is bloody Jacob Rees-Mogg. It's a really bad idea for the left to be opposing the far right with tactics that put them in the right's own preferred domain.

manticore

Then I see Pie has posted this piece of banal half-baked conformist shit and I feel ashamed to have ever tried to defend him on the basis of one video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27eWdPoutjo

j_u_d_a_s

Few things that keep being missed in the discussion:

- The Scottish Council of Jewish Communities had a ton of antisemitic abuse posted at them after Markus Meechan (no fucking way am I typing his username) was arrested.
- Still yet to be sentenced.
- Meechan has tweeted this:

I want to protect Scottish culture and the people of this nation from outside interference from people who can get the fuck right out of our business.

Build the wall. Put a Stuart on the throne. Alba Gu Brath.

Yes I've been drinking.
Source: https://twitter.com/CountDankulaTV/status/962446615381467136

Good chance this is just "bants" of course. But then he RTs this pic...

A quick look as his TL shows he's happily RTing far right types like Peter Sweden and that "muslim" throwing a stick (who later turned out to be an Irish barman) and of course there's his palling around with Tommy Robinson.

What Meechan does is the same as mediocrities like Carl "Sargon of Akkad" Benjamin and Milo do. Treads the line carefully and cloak shitty opinions in polite language. And when challenged over them, falls back to tired bad faith arguments.

The wider effect though is that the far right are feeling emboldened right now thanks to white mens almost slavish devotion to a version of free speech that will selflessly let the nazis speak but if you challenge or call them out on it then you're no better than the nazis yourselves. Used to subscribe to that logic meself but that was in the relative utopia of 2009. We've been legitimising far right views through "debate" or worse "the marketplace of ideas" with the airy-fairy notion that all viewpoints are of equal weight or value. The latest white supremacists line is calling for an ethnostate which is totes a non-violent belief guys, y so mad? It's a disingenuous move designed to make their extreme views respectable.

The last 2 years alone we've seen a madman become leader of the free world and the UK commit economic suicide based on nothing but absurd faith in British (or more accurately white) exceptionalism. This has all happened because we gave the far right a seat at the table.

(Though I sincerely hope the basic minded cunt gets his internet access revoked for life instead of put in prison)

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on March 25, 2018, 04:56:46 AM
Few things that keep being missed in the discussion:

- The Scottish Council of Jewish Communities had a ton of antisemitic abuse posted at them after Markus Meechan (no fucking way am I typing his username) was arrested.
- Still yet to be sentenced.
- Meechan has tweeted this:
Source: https://twitter.com/CountDankulaTV/status/962446615381467136

Good chance this is just "bants" of course. But then he RTs this pic...

A quick look as his TL shows he's happily RTing far right types like Peter Sweden and that "muslim" throwing a stick (who later turned out to be an Irish barman) and of course there's his palling around with Tommy Robinson.

What Meechan does is the same as mediocrities like Carl "Sargon of Akkad" Benjamin and Milo do. Treads the line carefully and cloak shitty opinions in polite language. And when challenged over them, falls back to tired bad faith arguments.

The wider effect though is that the far right are feeling emboldened right now thanks to white men's almost slavish devotion to a version of free speech that will selflessly let the nazis speak but if you challenge or call them out on it then you're no better than the nazis yourselves. Used to subscribe to that logic meself but that was in the relative utopia of 2009. We've been legitimising far right views through "debate" or worse "the marketplace of ideas" with the airy-fairy notion that all viewpoints are of equal weight or value. The latest white supremacists line is calling for an ethnostate which is totes a non-violent belief guys, y so mad? It's a disingenuous move designed to make their extreme views respectable.

The last 2 years alone we've seen a madman become leader of the free world and the UK commit economic suicide based on nothing but absurd faith in British (or more accurately white) exceptionalism. This has all happened because we gave the far right a seat at the table.

(Though I sincerely hope the basic minded cunt gets his internet access revoked for life instead of put in prison)

Great post.

j_u_d_a_s

biggytitbo

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on March 25, 2018, 04:56:46 AM.
The last 2 years alone we've seen a madman become leader of the free world and the UK commit economic suicide based on nothing but absurd faith in British (or more accurately white) exceptionalism.

Polling shows the main reason people voted leave was 'the principle that decisions about the UK should be taken in the UK', similar to why people voted for Scottish or catalan independence.

phantom_power

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 24, 2018, 09:45:57 AM
The conceit doesn't work either. He does a straight to-camera, then he decides to talk to the cameraman, who stands there holding the camera? Why not at least change the angle and put a filter on it? Oh because it's just him shouting at a tripod. Shit.

He's not talking to the cameraman. He is talking to someone back at base in his earpiece. Doesn't change the comedy much but still

ajsmith2

The wider effect though is that the far right are feeling emboldened right now thanks to white mens almost slavish devotion to a version of free speech that will selflessly let the nazis speak but if you challenge or call them out on it then you're no better than the nazis yourselves. Used to subscribe to that logic meself but that was in the relative utopia of 2009. We've been legitimising far right views through "debate" or worse "the marketplace of ideas" with the airy-fairy notion that all viewpoints are of equal weight or value. The latest white supremacists line is calling for an ethnostate which is totes a non-violent belief guys, y so mad? It's a disingenuous move designed to make their extreme views respectable.

Best post in the thread. This is the real issue here, not the 'muh free speech' puppetshow we're being sold and that out of touch old guarders like Gervais will swallow and parrot hook line and sinker cos they're used to the safety of operating in a world where no one with any power or influence takes these ideas seriously. It's not 2001 anymore guys, it's not even 2012 anymore.

On the other hand, giving Dankula the benefit of the doubt, I do wonder how much of an extreme far righter he was before this draconian treatment and the fallout pushed him towards being embraced and promoted by that end of things. It was probably still latent, but there's no doubt that these events will have hardened and 'radicalised' him. The clumsy way this has been dealt with plays perfectly into the alt light/right's narrative and contributes to the problem.

I know my two paragraphs above contradict each other in places, I think them both though.

biggytitbo

Quote from: ajsmith2 on March 25, 2018, 11:45:40 AM

On the other hand, giving Dankula the benefit of the doubt, I do wonder how much of an extreme far righter he was before this draconian treatment and the fallout pushed him towards being embraced and promoted by that end of things. It was probably still latent, but there's no doubt that these events will have hardened and 'radicalised' him. The clumsy way this has been dealt with plays perfectly into the alt light/right's narrative and contributes to the problem.

Yes, I don't think this point is made often enough as its a demonstrable fact that lots of people who are essentially left wing on core issues, are pushed rightwards by the more stupider extremes of political correctness and identity politics. A lot of it is kind of bloody minded defiance driven by a sense of unhappiness, alienation and frustration.

idunnosomename

Quote from: phantom_power on March 25, 2018, 10:46:05 AM
He's not talking to the cameraman. He is talking to someone back at base in his earpiece. Doesn't change the comedy much but still

Oh

Well, it's still a lame conceit and "Jonathan Pie" is a shit name too

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 25, 2018, 11:58:46 AM

Yes, I don't think this point is made often enough as its a demonstrable fact that lots of people who are essentially left wing on core issues, are pushed rightwards by the more stupider extremes of political correctness and identity politics. A lot of it is kind of bloody minded defiance driven by a sense of unhappiness, alienation and frustration.

I don't entirely agree. Yes, a lot of the new far right are young (white) men who are frustrated and alienated but they still make their choice to actively push back against intersectionality. Saying they're pushed into it removes all their responsibility for their own choices. The rise of youtube sceptics and snake oil philosophers like Jordan Peterson are a far bigger factor. They offer comforting certainties and reassure angry young men that it's they're the real forgotten victims and their hurt feelings trump hundreds of years of oppression and that real oppression is only found in those barbaric non-white countries which aren't as civilised as wot we are (conveniently ignoring that western countries regularly destabilised developing nations deliberately so as to eliminate competition).

Then of course there's the tone policing of "well maybe if you tried being more polite then maybe people would be more sympathetic" which sounds like a reasonable argument but if you're more concerned about the tone rather than the idea expressed then you're most likely missing the point on every level.

Basically, if you're so angry about the existence of trans and non-binary folk and the idea of white privilege that you're ok siding with the far right, the problem is with you.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 25, 2018, 09:38:51 AM
Polling shows the main reason people voted leave was 'the principle that decisions about the UK should be taken in the UK', similar to why people voted for Scottish or catalan independence.

Zero sum politics. Let's give a street in Orkney independence.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twed on March 23, 2018, 01:34:13 PM
Yeah, I really don't get what people see in British men saying obvious things in a shouty voice littered with swearing that sounds like the performer is trying to swear as much as possible while the teacher isn't in the room. John Oliver has made millions.

At least John Oliver was funny. Although in fairness I got a bit fed up of him on the daily show as his frequent zany 'that's like x doing y' thing started to feel a bit colour by numbers.

ajsmith2

In a bizzare bit of serendipity, Scottish comedian, ICW manager and early youtube meme (and my oldest pal)  Neil 'The Wee Man' Bratchpiece who I was recently discussing on this very forum with Sebastian Cobb above just wrote a fairly well balanced if brief article about this for The National:

http://www.thenational.scot/news/16103764.Nazi_dog_was_a_problematic_joke_____but_it_was_far_from_a_crime/?ref=twtrec

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 25, 2018, 02:40:40 PM
At least John Oliver was funny. Although in fairness I got a bit fed up of him on the daily show as his frequent zany 'that's like x doing y' thing started to feel a bit colour by numbers.
brooker does that a lot

Sebastian Cobb

I've pretty much forgotten what brooker does these days.

idunnosomename

Black Mirror, Konnie Huq, probably wanking jokes in private

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thankfully, you don't get to decide who gets to say what

bgmnts

Can you block someone's posts on here?

Yep there's a safe space script that let's you think you're stopping someone saying stuff

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on March 25, 2018, 03:51:02 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thankfully, you don't get to decide who gets to say what

Yeah, well reasoned argument there.

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on March 25, 2018, 03:55:01 PM
Yep there's a safe space script that let's you think you're stopping someone saying stuff

Not really a question about stopping someone saying stuff, more how to avoid listening to the grey mind farts of an absolute dullard.

bgmnts

I dont want to stop you spouting your idiotic bile, I just dont want to read it anymore personally.

lazyhour

He seems like a fucking horrible edgelord cunt from some of his other, pre-pug-gate videos. This 1-minute one manages to squeeze in 'jokes' about Africans all having AIDS, "Niger" being funny cos it's almost ****** LOL!, Pakistanis all being paedophiles, AND London being full of the ol' Muslims.

Shouldn't go to prison unless Roy Chubby Brown goes too, obvs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExAydddhsIk&has_verified=1

My view is that people should be willing to take the consequences of expressing revolting beliefs or opinions. Or even revolting jokes. Go ahead, say what you want, but accept that there may be repercussions if what you're saying can't be justified or defended, or is upsetting. Otherwise, it's like thinking you can walk up to someone in the street, call them a fucking towelhead wanker cunt faggot, and being surprised if you get your head kicked in.