Author Topic: Man guilty of owning racist dog [merged]  (Read 33323 times)

canadagoose

• But most of all... you got love technique
Re: Man guilty of owning racist dog
« Reply #180 on: March 22, 2018, 10:57:56 PM »
Don't gas anyone.
That'd be ideal, but we do have to gas both sides. Very fine people, obv.

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
« Reply #181 on: March 22, 2018, 11:43:34 PM »

manticore

• 'nut with really wacky opinions'
« Reply #182 on: March 23, 2018, 03:10:07 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti2bVS40cz0

Jonathon Pie as he normally is very much spot on.

That's the first video by him that I've really liked. I do believe his anger is genuine there, and completely appropriate.

« Reply #183 on: March 23, 2018, 03:48:26 AM »
Did I read correctly somewhere that the jury found him unanimously guilty? Unanimously? Hahaha fucking hell.

Bit late, but no, you didn't.

There was no jury, just the judge. Sorry, 'sheriff'.

« Reply #184 on: March 23, 2018, 04:23:46 AM »

If I lived in Scotland, and did a parody of this wherein I sang 'I shot the sheriff, because he's a fucking illiberal twat' to the tune of the famous Bob Marley choon outside that twat's courtroom, what would be my maximum sentence? If any at all?

What constitutes offence?!?

Can we turn this into a Russian doll of penalties and get the Sheriff shot arrested for being a fucking illiberal twat?

« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2018, 07:14:22 AM »
Gassing people is just not on IMHO.
What if it's a nice gas

« Reply #186 on: March 23, 2018, 09:24:37 AM »
That's the first video by him that I've really liked. I do believe his anger is genuine there, and completely appropriate.

He has a point about them saying context being irrelevant. If that were the case then surely the people in the court that repeated the phrase as part of the case were breaking the law.

I disagree that the video was mocking nazis necessarily but that is a minor point

thenoise

• Golden Member
« Reply #187 on: March 23, 2018, 12:09:27 PM »
Funny.

As usual, I agree with everything he says, but it's not funny and barely even comedy, except maybe the last bit where he does a silly dance.  The Jonathan Pie thing only really works once, when I stumbled across a video and thought it was real for a few seconds and it seemed quite startling and brave, although still not funny.  I thought Count Dankula's pug video was much funnier.

edit: I do agree it was better than Gervais in the 11 o clock show though.

« Reply #188 on: March 23, 2018, 12:51:27 PM »

So the judge found him unanimously guilty, same thing.

« Reply #189 on: March 23, 2018, 12:53:59 PM »
Jonathan Pie is shite isn't he? Just a man shouting his boring opinions. But he swears!

itsfredtitmus

• screwdriver lolly
« Reply #190 on: March 23, 2018, 12:54:47 PM »
Jonathan Pie is shite isn't he? Just a man shouting his boring opinions. But he swears!
swearing is inherently funny you didn’t know this

« Reply #191 on: March 23, 2018, 12:57:31 PM »

Hmmmmm

« Reply #192 on: March 23, 2018, 01:19:28 PM »
I agreed with that but I had to turn it off halfway through because I got very bored with him shouting the same things

« Reply #193 on: March 23, 2018, 01:28:09 PM »
Hmmmmm

But I'm not shouting, or doing a bit.

Twed

• "J" Joe Jeans and his jelly beans
« Reply #194 on: March 23, 2018, 01:34:13 PM »
Yeah, I really don't get what people see in British men saying obvious things in a shouty voice littered with swearing that sounds like the performer is trying to swear as much as possible while the teacher isn't in the room. John Oliver has made millions.

biggytitbo

• WHAT ABOUT THE GODDAM JAFFA CAKES ASSWIPE
    • theunredacted
« Reply #195 on: March 23, 2018, 01:41:04 PM »
Best description I heard of John Oliver is 'establishment court jester'.

« Reply #196 on: March 23, 2018, 01:43:53 PM »
Don't gas anyone.

Or - or - now, bear with me, here - gas everyone.

thenoise

• Golden Member
« Reply #197 on: March 23, 2018, 02:42:55 PM »

But we agree with him & therefore share his videos on facebook
...profit!

thenoise

• Golden Member
« Reply #198 on: March 23, 2018, 02:45:27 PM »
Or - or - now, bear with me, here - gas everyone.

That's worse than just gassing the Jews!

itsfredtitmus

• screwdriver lolly
« Reply #199 on: March 23, 2018, 02:52:29 PM »
Just watched one of dank’s videos what utter shite

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upphängningspunkterna
« Reply #200 on: March 23, 2018, 04:07:46 PM »
So the judge found him unanimously guilty, same thing.

Tough break having to appear for Judge Psychitzo

« Reply #201 on: March 23, 2018, 06:04:52 PM »
Yeah, I really don't get what people see in British men saying obvious things in a shouty voice littered with swearing that sounds like the performer is trying to swear as much as possible while the teacher isn't in the room. John Oliver has made millions.

it's literally the stuff you see on the daily show in a british accent, which does lose something tbf

« Reply #202 on: March 23, 2018, 06:05:51 PM »
Just watched one of dank’s videos what utter shite

hang the cunt

« Reply #203 on: March 23, 2018, 09:35:47 PM »

On the subject of Pie, here's a good write-up on him and his association with Spiked writer Andrew Doyle I came across on Twitter today: http://libcom.org/blog/unsurprising-reason-jonathan-pie-rants-sound-straight-out-spiked-06022018

Not surprising at all really, I remember one of his older videos on that council making misogyny a hate crime and he was ranting about how it was like 1984 and thoughtcrime. It sounded like it could have easily come out of somewhere like Spiked or those right-wing YouTube types.

I've talked about the whole thing before, but it really baffles me. It's supposedly "comedy" even though it isn't at all, and when you remove that it's just a shouty man putting forward arguments that don't really stand up to scrutiny.

EDIT: Didn't even notice someone posted a link to that on the last page, sorry

biggytitbo

• theunredacted
« Reply #204 on: March 23, 2018, 09:56:33 PM »
I've talked about the whole thing before, but it really baffles me. It's supposedly "comedy" even though it isn't at all, and when you remove that it's just a shouty man putting forward arguments that don't really stand up to scrutiny.

Can't say I'm very familiar with him but in what way do his arguments not stack up here? Seems like  a pretty accurate incapsulation of what's wrong with this whole case to me. Not massively funny apart from the clowning at the end, but right.

manticore

• 'nut with really wacky opinions'
« Reply #205 on: March 23, 2018, 10:53:58 PM »
He's not funny, and normally I don't like being ranted at by him, but since I happened to be feeling angry about this thing at the time I watched it, I enjoyed seeing someone else putting it into words quite well and with feeling.

I think this case fits with the recent kind of scrupulousity that results in things like Alan Partridge episodes being edited to remove things he said which were quite obviously said in character, or people being censured for referring to someone else using the word 'n**ger'. I think it's a kind of moral squeamishness.

biggytitbo

• theunredacted
« Reply #206 on: March 23, 2018, 11:35:20 PM »
What's the Alan Partridge thing, I've not heard about that.

I think a lot of this is because of how substantive politics became redundant due to neoliberalism and the third way. In the 1960"s politics was almost completly dominated by things like the inflation, unemployement rates, balance of payments, housing and public services. Now that everything real has been sold off to the highest bidder and moved at arms length from politicians, all that's left is to engage in a never ending merry go round of who said something offensive.

We're like kids fighting in the grass over some pointless squabble whilst the house behind us burns to the ground.

« Reply #207 on: March 23, 2018, 11:38:43 PM »
Yeah. Civil rights and that - they weren't really happening in the sixties were they?

Fucking complacency of statements like that. Hey never mind racism and misogyny - that's just identity politics - what about the bigger picture? Says white etc etc etc...

« Reply #208 on: March 23, 2018, 11:54:06 PM »

Can't say I'm very familiar with him but in what way do his arguments not stack up here? Seems like  a pretty accurate incapsulation of what's wrong with this whole case to me. Not massively funny apart from the clowning at the end, but right.

I'm not talking about his Nazi pug video specifically, I haven't actually watched that one, just the general vibe I get off his videos more generally. He's right about some stuff, but is well off the mark for others.

biggytitbo

• theunredacted
« Reply #209 on: March 23, 2018, 11:57:08 PM »
There was the civil rights movements, more in the US than here, but in both cases politics was still overwhelmingly concerned with the kind of unfashionable but crucial to quality of life issues like how much food costs, housing, jobs, wages. Those are still the issues that actually matter to every human being but proportionately they get far less air time than ever before as we spend so much time arguing about how offensive we are to anyone who doesn't agree with us is, how someone said something wrong 20 years ago, or was once stood in the same room as someone who said something racist. Its a big pointless custard pie fight.

Corbyn keeps trying to talk about these kind of core issues that dominated politics in the 60s and  70s but people would rather talk about how he is an anti semite or Russian spy. Bernie Sanders, another one who wants to talk about boring things that would help the working classes, apperently can't win because he's a man, and too white.