Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:51:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Real life events there's yet to be a good dramatisation of

Started by Custard, March 22, 2018, 08:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Clunky title, but hopefully it's readable and understandable!

Was watching a documentary about Fred and Rose West the other day, the Serial Killers one. It was slight, at 45 minutes, but pretty good, and covered the main bones (oo-er, probably not the right word to use here) of the story.

I wondered whether there was ever a good film or telly dramatisation of the events, and it doesn't appear there is. Appropriate Adult with Dominic West is meant to be reasonably alright, but it hardly has rave reviews. You'd think such a crazy story would have a few goes at it, wouldn't you? Unless there is a great one, and I'm missing it!

Are there any other real life events that you feel have never been given a decent dramatisation? The fall of Rik Waller, perhaps?

madhair60

The time I slipped on the ice with an open and full bottle of Diet Pepsi, and fell on my back without spilling a drop.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Appropriate Adult is more than reasonably alright, it's excellent. You're missing out if you don't watch it, as it's exactly the sort of drama you're looking for.

Utter Shit

Agreed with BBB, Appropriate Adult is great - in fact, it's so good that I imagine other writers might balk at trying to do something else with the story.

itsfredtitmus

The Beatles story
All wank especially that twee one about Lennon as a young loveable scally

studpuppet

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 22, 2018, 10:12:22 AM
The Beatles story
All wank especially that twee one about Lennon as a young scaly

I'd like a dramatisations about the Beatles' wives/girlfriends. Pretty much every story is a cracking tale, especially Pattie's.

Steven

An edge-of-the-seat political thriller dramatising the scandal and intrigue of John Redwood's gripping 1995 rival run for leadership of the Conservative Party as a "Dark Horse" candidate against John Major, can also feature nail-biting scenes of said former secretary of state for Wales pretending to mouth the Welsh National anthem badly.

phantom_power

Do you reckon the time will ever be appropriate for a Saville biopic? Something akin to Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: phantom_power on March 22, 2018, 11:04:50 AM
Do you reckon the time will ever be appropriate for a Saville biopic? Something akin to Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

I think YES, but I suspect it will be in the form of a dour TV drama a la the abovementioned Appropriate Adult rather than a cinematic feature.

Can you imagine trailerman voice and sinister music whilst slo-mo images of Savile are on screen?  I mean, the answer to that is obviously "YES!"  Who would play Savile?  Who would direct?

phantom_power

It is almost too ridiculous to dramatize though isn't it? A predatory sexual abuser and paedophile/necrophile who dressed in garish shell-suits and over-sized jewellery and sunglasses. Who would play him?

Steven

Quote from: phantom_power on March 22, 2018, 11:13:49 AM
It is almost too ridiculous to dramatize though isn't it? A predatory sexual abuser and paedophile/necrophile who dressed in garish shell-suits and over-sized jewellery and sunglasses. Who would play him?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: phantom_power on March 22, 2018, 11:13:49 AM

I think that's why, if/when it happens, it'll be a TV drama.  Sometimes the more ridiculous and/or extreme nasty events somehow seem "okay" for TV, but "not in a million years" for film - the Moors murders drama, for example. 

kidsick5000

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on March 22, 2018, 11:21:38 AM
I think that's why, if/when it happens, it'll be a TV drama.  Sometimes the more ridiculous and/or extreme nasty events somehow seem "okay" for TV, but "not in a million years" for film - the Moors murders drama, for example.

Do you reckon that's because to make a film would be seen as glamourising the perpetrators?

semi related to the Savile stuff, unfortunately...
I'd love to see a good version of the pirate radio scene of the 60s.
That would be much more difficult because of what some of the 'heroes' would go on to do.
Won't be able to have any jolly japes about rape for that one this time, will we Mr Curtis.

Custard

Right, cos you lot say it's good, I've ordered the extended version of Appropriate Adult. I will be expecting 6.99 from you if it's balls. From each of you

Attila

I would like to see someone do a life and times of Alcibiades of Athens. Plenty of bonkers material there.

Sebastian Cobb

Brian Harvey running himself over after eating a load of jacket potatoes.

mothman

Quote from: Attila on March 22, 2018, 06:23:46 PM
I would like to see someone do a life and times of Alcibiades of Athens. Plenty of bonkers material there.

Ooh, good one. In fact, I think lots of Greek history and myths are yet to be faithfully depicted, rather than just by Americans with 1960s haircuts in carefully-pressed chitons.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on March 22, 2018, 11:08:28 AM
I think YES, but I suspect it will be in the form of a dour TV drama a la the abovementioned Appropriate Adult rather than a cinematic feature.

Can you imagine trailerman voice and sinister music whilst slo-mo images of Savile are on screen?  I mean, the answer to that is obviously "YES!"  Who would play Savile?  Who would direct?

Jeff Pope, executive producer of Appropriate Adult and See No Evil: The Moors Murders, is apparently working on a Savile drama for TV as we speak. If anyone can deliver the goods, it's him.

biggytitbo

The should make a film out of that man who wanted to assassinate Bjork because she had sex with a black man.

biggytitbo

What about a Frost Nixon style film based on that interview Frank Skinner did with Matthew Kelly?

Gulftastic

In all the comedy biopics of recent years, no one has gone near a Benny Hill one. He was massive all over the world, you'd think there'd be a market.

studpuppet

Quote from: Gulftastic on March 22, 2018, 09:16:11 PM
In all the comedy biopics of recent years, no one has gone near a Benny Hill one. He was massive all over the world, you'd think there'd be a market.

If you've read the Mark Lewisohn biography of him, there's not a great deal of juicy meat to hang a TV drama on.

Small Man Big Horse

Not a film but I noticed tonight that they've turned the coughing Who Wants To Be A Millionaire scandal in to a play. I'd buy tickets for a musical version, but a straight retelling? I'm surprised there's an audience for that.

Steven

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 22, 2018, 07:31:34 PM
Jeff Pope, executive producer of Appropriate Adult and See No Evil: The Moors Murders, is apparently working on a Savile drama for TV as we speak. If anyone can deliver the goods, it's him.

Proposed title? I'm going with The Macabre Of Savile.