Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:28:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Avengers: Infinity War - Purple Veiny Helmet Man Attacks!!!

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, March 22, 2018, 06:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

I very much doubt it. She wouldn't die offscreen. I imagine she is one of the 50% that were spared

Custard

The Culture Bunker

Well, she was on Asgard when that big red monster blew it up...

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I think the directors have said that Valkyrie had escaped with the other half of the Asgardian people. And Korg.

The Culture Bunker

And Miek, of course, the little blade-armed scamp.

Mister Six

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 14, 2018, 10:14:27 PM
Doesn't Thor tell Gamora his sister has died?

His sister is the baddie from Ragnarok. Valkyrie is one of the goodies.

Custard

Ah, sorry. Yeah, I imagine she and Korg survived, and will be back

Shaky

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 17, 2018, 11:32:58 PM
Interesting wee piece with the Russo brothers about who got toasted by Thanos' fingers or not:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/avengers-infinity-war-directors-confirm-which-characters-died-off-screen_us_5af5f6fee4b032b10bfaa3a0

Not getting at you in any way but I'm growing to really dislike the way directors are now expected to clarify everything afterwards in the media. It really doesn't matter if Aunt May died or not. It has no additional bearing on the story and the film should speak for itself.

It's just a bit of fun, you say? Bah!

Custard

If Aunt May dies offscreen I will kick each Russo in the bum

mothman

Welll that kinda confirms my Thunderbolt Ross hypothesis. Or doesn't rule it out, anyway.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Shaky on May 18, 2018, 06:10:18 AM
Not getting at you in any way
Too late. That's how I read it and my mam is coming round to give you a slap.

I actually missed a bit off, which was that what I found interesting was Natalie Portman not ruling out doing another (presumably) Thor film, as related to comments about her being fucked off with Marvel upthread.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 14, 2018, 05:29:17 PM
when I watched Dr Strange, I did think "they should have just made the character English", as it's not like it would have made any real difference.

I've often thought the same about lots of films. Why is the English guy putting on that twang when an English accent might have suited the character just as well or even better? But the thing with putting on the twang persists. Maybe it's to ensure people from all over America understand it or maybe it's when the character itself is American and they don't want to change that element.

But you're right, how many people would really care if Strange had an English accent? It's not like he was even a well known character a decade ago.

mothman

The Transporter series is the best example of that. First two movies, ver Stath has a (bad) American accent. Come the third, it's gone with no explanation. It's particularly vexing because of his cameo in Collateral, in which he plays a courier who could just conceivably be Frank Martin. And quite clearly has Jason Statham's natural accent.

Small Man Big Horse

Finally saw this today and loved it. Felt like a truly epic film and whilst it's clear how everything will be wrapped up I'm still looking forward to seeing how they do it.

Apologies if this has already been discussed as I haven't read the whole thread but there was a trailer for Ant Man and the Wasp and it looks like it's set before Infinity War, as it's all rather light hearted and similar to the first film.

samadriel

I expect the post-credits scene of Ant-Man and the Wasp will in some way connect it to Infinity War.

mothman

^Ant-Man gets ashed, Wasp doesn't. Surprise twist. Or they both do, and Hank Pym has to don a suit and become ANT-OAP to help the Avengers.

surreal

Quote from: samadriel on June 10, 2018, 05:20:15 AM
I expect the post-credits scene of Ant-Man and the Wasp will in some way connect it to Infinity War.

I'm expecting the quantum realm will be used in some way to possibly avoid everything or do some timey-wimey stuff...

Mister Six

Quote from: mothman on June 10, 2018, 04:01:51 PM
^Ant-Man gets ashed, Wasp doesn't. Surprise twist. Or they both do, and Hank Pym has to don a suit and become ANT-OAP to help the Avengers.

Was going to say Ant-GROPE but then I realised that was Richard Gere, not Michael Douglas. I always get 'em mixed up.

Dr Rock

Just seen it. Then saw it again. I think it was an incredible achievement, 11/10. Most of what's great about the movie has been said, so I won't repeat any of that. Spoilers Ahead, but I assume everyone's seen it by now...

I will ask first - we are teased that Hulk doesn't want to come out and play - so why was he in this trailer depicted in the charge in the battle of Wakanda? An earlier version of the story, or stuck in to make a teaser that showed he was in the movie?

https://youtu.be/6ZfuNTqbHE8

(around the 2 minute mark)

Either way, as well as Dr Strange telling us this - everyone dying - is the only way to win, Hulk deciding to come back must be pivotal. Also, not that it will probably be a part of the next movie but who knows, can anyone tell me what power Hulk has apart from his massive strength and invulnerability? For some reason he can see astral projections, usually Dr Strange's, when nobody else can.

Also, when we first meet the Guardians Of The Galaxy, a song is playing, presumably another harvested from Peter's trove of his mother's favourites. It's Rubberband Man by The Spinners. Lyrics:

Hey, y'all prepare yourself
For the Rubberband man
You never heard a sound
Like the Rubberband man
You're bound to lose control
When the Rubberband starts to jam

Oh, Lord, this dude is outta sight
Everything he does
Seems to come out right

Now who in the Marvel Universe would best be described as the rubberband man? The same person so smart he would stand a chance of thwarting Thanos? But no, I don't think Marvel has wrapped up the rights to the Fantastic Four yet and neither do I think they would introduce them in the next film. But if they do, I called it first.

Next, as for speculating how all the dead people could be brought back to life, like maybe invoking time travel in some way - the Russo Bros have said 'the deaths are real.' Yup, but one of the rings on Thanos's glove is the Reality Gem. Only when augmented by having the other stones can he change reality this easily, on this scale - but someone else wearing the Gauntlet could change reality right back. So that's how I think will be how they un-kill everyone. Maybe it's Hulk who is capable of wielding the Gauntlet, or Captain Marvel, but someone's gonna do it, and change reality back.

Dr Rock

Oh and I don't think Loki's dead either. Some kind of trick. He needed Thor to be totally out for vengeance to stand a chance at success. And for the next film, his powers could come in handy - like making Thanos think he doesn't have his gauntlet when he does? Something like that?

phantom_power

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 21, 2018, 09:50:59 AM
Oh and I don't think Loki's dead either. Some kind of trick. He needed Thor to be totally out for vengeance to stand a chance at success. And for the next film, his powers could come in handy - like making Thanos think he doesn't have his gauntlet when he does? Something like that?

The one death I think will definitely stick, apart from Heimdel who no-one really cares about, is Loki. I think Hiddlestone would be happy to leave the Marvel films behind and be seen as a more serious actor

Dr Rock

Quote from: phantom_power on June 21, 2018, 10:33:38 AM
The one death I think will definitely stick, apart from Heimdel who no-one really cares about, is Loki. I think Hiddlestone would be happy to leave the Marvel films behind and be seen as a more serious actor

Maybe, but I've heard almost every main cast member wants to leave, so I dunno. Maybe Loki will leave after the next movie - but I don't think that was his death. He's too trickstery.

phantom_power

They have already done the fake death of Loki a couple of times now. I would be very surprised if they did it again

SteveDave

Quote from: phantom_power on June 21, 2018, 10:33:38 AM
I think Hiddlestone would be happy to leave the Marvel films behind and be seen as a more serious actor

Or beautiful singer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_I1anDoW_E

Dr Rock

Quote from: phantom_power on June 21, 2018, 11:12:11 AM
They have already done the fake death of Loki a couple of times now. I would be very surprised if they did it again

Maybe, but here are a few reasons why he might not be dead:

Loki needed to get Thor sufficiently grief-stricken and angry, that was his plan.

Loki calmly walks back into the movie and up the Thanos after Hulk is dealt with. Good place for him to have actually legged it and left some kind of illusion behind. Although his illusions are usually intangible, maybe this one isn't.

Loki is more likely to have legged it if possible.

Loki's plan, to stab Thanos with a little dagger, seems quite lame.

Back to the FF, it seems Fox is now owned by Disney so they could put the FF in the next film if they wanted. Perhaps they were off-planet on a spaceship, getting their powers while half of Earth's population were killed. The next film supposedly takes place a few years after Infinity War, so there's room to introduce them -  but I don't think that will happen, mainly because it would need a whole ew set of effects to capture them, Mr Fantastic and The Thing being particular challenges (without looking shitty as before on film).

I also don't think everyone who turned to ash will be brought back to life at the climax of the movie (with mainly the original Avengers taking up much of the movie, although it's a good way of paring everyone down at the start to about the middle), that will be undone (with possibly Stark/Iron Man wearing the gauntlet as he's the protagonist more than anyone, the person who mirrors Thanos's belief that only he has the power and will to do what needs to be done). Then it will be an onslaught of every super-fucker again - including Captain Marvel, and probably Adam Warlock too (teased at the end of the last GOTG). It would be great if the Silver Surfer is there too, and ideally a true to the comics Dr Doom (but doubt we'll see him either).

Collector not dead either.

I hope they introduce that Thanos is in love with (Lady) Death (like in the comics), and that his great plan, as has been pointed out, is stupid compared to what he could do instead (give everyone enough resources). Really he loves killing people, disguised by a mad plan. However when he sacrificed Gamora, that was when she mocked him that he loved nobody so couldn't get the stone - so (as it turned out he loved Gamora) it would seem tricky to later reveal his true love is Death herself. Who knows though, he's capable of loving more than one person/personification of mortality.

AsparagusTrevor

I want to believe it all played out as it seems and reversing or faking his death in particular would undo a lot of his character development. Plus, like it's been established, Loki's illusions are intangible, they're basically glamours.

Loki was probably counting on the Hulk kicking Thanos' arse and hadn't really come up with a plan B since he already knew Thanos and knew they were all screwed if that failed.

When it came down to it he'd grown as a person, at the end of 'Thor Ragnarok' he found his place amongst his people, whom he ended up losing most of so he really was ready to sacrifice himself to avenge them.

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 22, 2018, 10:46:16 AM
Loki's plan, to stab Thanos with a little dagger, seems quite lame.
The tiny dagger was probably just a last ditch attempt to get at least a bit of damage in, I don't think he expected to kill him and win the battle there and then.

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 22, 2018, 10:46:16 AMLoki needed to get Thor sufficiently grief-stricken and angry, that was his plan.
I think he might've already been a bit miffed at losing a large amount of his people.

Lord Mandrake

Hulk in the trailers just goes to show the lengths the filmmakers are having to go to misdirect the audience. Loki will be back probably in a different timeline or dimension ... poss spoilers for A4 》》》 spotted on set in the recreation of the battle of New York. I read somewhere that he will meddle with the heroes time-travel plans and possibly deliver the tesseract to Thanos