Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:04:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Avengers: Infinity War - Purple Veiny Helmet Man Attacks!!!

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, March 22, 2018, 06:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

Fox have put out 16 Marvel films since 2000, and maybe...seven of those have been worth a second look? Not a great hit rate, to be honest.

greenman

Quote from: Kelvin on November 28, 2018, 05:43:23 PM
X1 and X2 don't seem so remarkable now that we've had decades of decent superhero films following them, but at the time, they were very ambitious and well made.

Days of Future Past is brilliant, though. I think. I certainly don't think it belongs in the "entertaining filler" bucket that so many Marvel films fall into.

Not watched them in years but I'd imagine they suffer somewhat simply from Marvel having followed a very similar kind of formula for the last decade.

Kelvin

Quote from: greenman on November 28, 2018, 07:18:15 PM
Not watched them in years but I'd imagine they suffer somewhat simply from Marvel having followed a very similar kind of formula for the last decade.

Similar, but not the same. Villains and even plot are downplayed in the Marvel origin films. The better X-Men films are also much darker, and more thoughtful films by blockbuster standards. It inconceivable that Marvel would ever make a film like Logan or DoFP. Maybe a TV series, but not a film.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Let us not forget that you spent roughly 5,000 quid rewatching Batman V Superman in the cinema. How can we take your opinion seriously?

Kelvin

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 28, 2018, 07:41:31 PM
Let us not forget that you spent roughly 5,000 quid rewatching Batman V Superman in the cinema. How can we take your opinion seriously?

Yes, but I watched it between my fingers!

I still think that film's thematically more ambitious than every Marvel film you could mention. It's just terrible at expressing those themes well or consistently, and a complete mess in every other respect.

Kelvin

Also, the only film I've ever cried at was Logan. Just this weekend my friends were taking the piss out of me for that again. And rightly so, as I was absolutely bawling.

MuteBanana

Quote from: Kelvin on November 28, 2018, 07:55:35 PM
Also, the only film I've ever cried at was Logan. Just this weekend my friends were taking the piss out of me for that again. And rightly so, as I was absolutely bawling.

Cruel. It was heart breaking.

Lets watch the funny Hugh Jackman Dafne Keen video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8YJt6iQPNA

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Kelvin on November 28, 2018, 07:53:46 PM
I still think that film's thematically more ambitious than every Marvel film you could mention.
It's pretty much the exact same theme as Civil War, isn't it? Power and the responsible wielding thereof. It's just given the illusion of greater depth by Snyder's blustery hoopla.

monolith

I really liked Batman v Superman... although that might be in large part due to the shock of Affleck not only being a serviceable Batman but possibly my favourite (or at worst second to Keaton).

AsparagusTrevor

I though BvS was a huge mess of a film with some decent ideas scattered around, but Affleck's grizzled Batman was certainly one of the positive things about it.

Glebe

Yeah, I still mantain the Batman stuff in BvS was pretty decent. Bit of judicious editing would've improved things no end.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 28, 2018, 08:19:24 PM
It's pretty much the exact same theme as Civil War, isn't it? Power and the responsible wielding thereof. It's just given the illusion of greater depth by Snyder's blustery hoopla.

The difference, and it's a big one, is that BvS wasn't all sorted out by a polite hand written letter that made everything that happened before it pretty much pointless.

Instead it was all sorted out by mums (sorry - MOMS) with the same name that made everything that happened before it pretty much pointless.

Yes - I am LONG bored of superhero films now.

The Culture Bunker

As horrific as BvS was, and I admit I paid to see it just to find out how bad it was, Affleck was pretty great as a burned-out Batman that I felt sorry for the guy to be stuck in such a shite flick. Maybe I missed a scene, but how exactly did Luthor know Superman is Clark Kent and Batman is Bruce Wayne?

monolith

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 29, 2018, 05:19:50 PM
As horrific as BvS was, and I admit I paid to see it just to find out how bad it was, Affleck was pretty great as a burned-out Batman that I felt sorry for the guy to be stuck in such a shite flick. Maybe I missed a scene, but how exactly did Luthor know Superman is Clark Kent and Batman is Bruce Wayne?
He looked at Clark Kent and realised he had the exact same face as Superman.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: monolith on November 29, 2018, 06:42:05 PM
I thought the point of that tight Superman jumpsuit was so that nobody looked at his face?

Gulftastic

Quote from: monolith on November 29, 2018, 06:42:05 PM

Some actors can make it convincing that even then they might not twig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIaF0QKtY0c

Well, one actor.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Gulftastic on December 02, 2018, 01:32:21 PM

Well, one actor.
Yeah, you see there Reeve must put on about two or three inches of height, change in tone of voice etc. Great stuff. Most interpretations of Clark Kent since seem to have him as much too confident, for one thing.

MuteBanana

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 02, 2018, 01:41:02 PM
Yeah, you see there Reeve must put on about two or three inches of height, change in tone of voice etc. Great stuff. Most interpretations of Clark Kent since seem to have him as much too confident, for one thing.

That scene is great. I know someone who is fiercely adamant that Reeves is the best Superman ever. Things like that scene make me realise why. He also considers Dean Cain a worthy second place.

MuteBanana

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 29, 2018, 05:19:50 PM

He's smart. He made a point of investigating it.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 02, 2018, 03:10:50 PM
That scene is great. I know someone who is fiercely adamant that Reeves is the best Superman ever. Things like that scene make me realise why. He also considers Dean Cain a worthy second place.
I did enjoy the show when I was a kid, but - again - there's not enough difference in how Cain carries himself as Clark and Superman.

Perry White and Lex Luthor were the best things in the show - Luthor especially, as we saw him as publicly beloved businessman and philanthropist as well as evil genius. The recent films had him far too much as wacky mad scientist type.

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 02, 2018, 03:13:24 PM
He's smart. He made a point of investigating it.
Would have been nice to have seen it, y'know? Plus sussing it before Batman once again means the films fail to show him as the great detective he's supposed to be.

mothman

Quote from: Gulftastic on December 02, 2018, 01:32:21 PM

Well, one actor.

How many times can I have watcged this scene? Loads. Never really appreciated it. That transformation, it's incredible.