Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:30:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Avengers: Infinity War - Purple Veiny Helmet Man Attacks!!!

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, March 22, 2018, 06:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Guardian gives it an excitable 4 star review:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/apr/24/avengers-infinity-war-review-supremely-entertaining-showdown-in-the-grand-marvel-tradition

QuoteIn theory, all these superheroes crammed into one movie should trigger the law of diminishing returns and the Traveling Wilbury effect. And yet somehow in its pure uproariousness, it works. It's just a supremely watchable film, utterly confident in its self-created malleable mythology. And confident also in the note of apocalyptic darkness.

Bad Ambassador

I managed to have the ending spoiled, just by looking at one character's wiki page, so I recommend watching your collective step.

biggytitbo

Quote from: samadriel on April 25, 2018, 12:41:44 PM
Anyone else seen it yet? Hell of an ending, I expect there'll be a bit of a backlash though.

Aye, Iron Man having a sex change and becoming the Iron Lady, complete with bouffant hair and handbag, was totally jumping the shark.

mothman

I've yet to see Civil War, Strange, Homecoming, Ragnarok or Panther. I'm way behind. Should I be a purist and try to see them first (though not all available legally yet, and I'm damned if I'm watching a cam capture) even though I suspect it really won't matter..?

kidsick5000

I just watched it and am very impressed with Thanos, both as a character and the CGI.
Possibly one of the best villains because there's reason to his actions. In some ways, a logic.
But this is such a lesson to all other franchises on how to make your CGI villains look real.
This guy is not just appearing against background simulation #361b. He has presence, expression and form and interacts with the actors and locations.

Well, I thought he was good anyway.

Mr_Simnock

I'm off to see it now at a midnight screening, looking forward to it.

BritishHobo

At the midnight screening of this even though I bang on about hating it, because I have no integrity

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Meanwhile, I have been looking forward to it for ages and probably won't get around to seeing it for about two weeks.

Mr_Simnock

BritishHobo

Fucking hell there's a lot going on in that film

A lot of old toss

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: mothman on April 25, 2018, 09:06:49 PM
I've yet to see Civil War, Strange, Homecoming, Ragnarok or Panther. I'm way behind. Should I be a purist and try to see them first (though not all available legally yet, and I'm damned if I'm watching a cam capture) even though I suspect it really won't matter..?

I haven't seen Infinity War yet but I'd guess Civil War is a must as it was basically a Cap focused Avengers film, and apparently IW follows on from the end of Thor Ragnarok.

I'd say Homecoming is probably standalone and throwaway enough (hugely enjoyable though it is) to be missed out. Doctor Strange too, although you might need to read up on the Time Gem to get up to speed.

Yep. Civil War introduces Black Panther and Spider-Man in as much depth as you'll probably need. Conveniently, It's also on the Netflix.

Paaaaul

My first thought coming out of that was "that must be fairly confusing for anyone who isn't bang up to date with the MCU".
I would definitely recommend seeing as much of the back catalogue as possible before watching it. Yes, Civil War is probably enough for Spidey and Panthey, you should definitely try to see everything else from the last couple of years.

I enjoyed the film. It played out how I imagined it would with the tiny amount of knowledge I had beforehand. It did it in a darker way than I expected though

Edit to add: there was a credit at the end for "character from' Arrested Development' used with agreement from Fox" or summat. Does anybody know who/what that was referring to?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on April 26, 2018, 09:14:58 AM
I'd guess Civil War is a must as it was basically a Cap focused Avengers film, and apparently IW follows on from the end of Thor Ragnarok.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 26, 2018, 09:20:02 AM
Yep. Civil War introduces Black Panther and Spider-Man in as much depth as you'll probably need. Conveniently, It's also on the Netflix.

Other than for introducing new characters, Civil War is a total waste of time and the most pointless film in the series so far - two and a half hours of scrapping that has no real bearing on anything outside of the film (aside from referencing previous city destroying scrapping), and it's all swept away at the end with a polite hand written letter from Tony Stark. 

But then, as I keep saying in these threads, I am getting rather bored with the whole thing now and it's becoming too much like hard work for very little gain.

Not in the least bit surprised to see majority critical fawning and rather more realistic audient "what is point?" shrugging.  Despite what the more positive reviews say, I can't see how it can be anything other than endless fucking cameos.

kidsick5000

Oh yeah.

My other highlight: WE WILL DEEP FRY YOUR KEBAB

The best, oddly prominent poster in any film ever.

samadriel

Re: Arrested Development

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2018/04/all-the-easter-eggs-and-references-we-spotted-in-avengers-infinity-war/

NOT REALLY A SPOILER:
Quoteif you look carefully at the scene inside the Collector's museum you will be able to see Tobias Funke inside one of the cases - along with the infamous blue paint and cut off jeans.

Paaaaul

Quote from: samadriel on April 26, 2018, 12:25:01 PM

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2018/04/all-the-easter-eggs-and-references-we-spotted-in-avengers-infinity-war/

NOT REALLY A SPOILER:
Ta. I did miss that.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 26, 2018, 12:13:15 PM
Other than for introducing new characters, Civil War is a total waste of time and the most pointless film in the series so far - two and a half hours of scrapping that has no real bearing on anything outside of the film (aside from referencing previous city destroying scrapping), and it's all swept away at the end with a polite hand written letter from Tony Stark. 
Civil War is probably the most important film to watch pre-A:IW for the set-up of the world at this point.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Paaaaul on April 26, 2018, 12:38:21 PM
Civil War is probably the most important film to watch pre-A:IW for the set-up of the world at this point.

See the sentence you didn't quote...

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: samadriel on April 26, 2018, 12:25:01 PM

There was also an Arrested Development easter-egg in Civil War, with the Bluth stair-car appearing in the background, appropriately during the airport scene. The Russo bros directed several episodes between them.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 26, 2018, 12:39:59 PM
See the sentence you didn't quote...
Yeah. I find it hard to understand why people post about stuff they don't care about, so I ignored that bit.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Paaaaul on April 26, 2018, 12:38:21 PM
Ta. I did miss that.

Got to say, among my many problems with this film, the way it handled all the stuff the other movies set up felt so cackhanded. It should have felt like the events of the other films had had authentic consequences which feed into this, but instead it felt like they were lumbered with a load of set-up and backstory that they needed to jettison before the plot could begin.

This was enjoyable enough but everything felt like it was just there to set up the next film. I'm tired of it now and just want a film to be a film and not be concerned with selling the next entry.

Custard

Thought this was great. The 2.5 hours absolutely flew by

Thanos was very well done, and easily the best Marvel villain so far.

No spoilers, but well worth a trip out to the pictures for

I appreciate the lack of spoilers so far, seeing as I apparently lack the willpower to ignore the thread.

The A.V. Club gives it a surprisingly negative C+ review. Their main point of comparison seems to be to Black Panther, though, which I wasn't all that impressed by.

Custard

Everyone do yourself a favour, and don't read spoilers

Most of the film I had no idea what was gonna happen next, and it made for a fun and gripping watch

The action is pretty relentless, but there's some great character stuff in there too

And it feels MASSIVE. With genuine stakes. The Russo brothers are pretty fucking awesome

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Paaaaul on April 26, 2018, 12:44:37 PM
Yeah. I find it hard to understand why people post about stuff they don't care about, so I ignored that bit.

If I hadn't seen Civil War, then I would agree with you.  But I think it's important to have both sides of the coin commented on if you have seen what's being talked about.  Otherwise EVERYONE would be a Marvel fanboy, which would just be ridiculous.

Admittedly I've made some negative comments about IW without having seen it, but those are more based on its surface logistics rather than the actual content.

Just got back from seeing it and as a big Marvel fan I enjoyed it very much. The plot was as it should be and did a very good job handling so many charchters. I wouldn't really trust any reviews out there as I think there is a bit of backlashi In the media at the moment due to the ever conquering Disney empire. In away Thanos and his quest for the Infinity Stones is very similar to Disney quest to aquire Interllectual property. The basic gist is if you like superheros movies this is awesome, if your a neutral then the big fanfare will possbily sour the experience for you. Basically you'll enjoy as much as you want to enjoy it.

magval

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on April 26, 2018, 01:44:50 PM
This was enjoyable enough but everything felt like it was just there to set up the next film. I'm tired of it now and just want a film to be a film and not be concerned with selling the next entry.

In this case, though, it's more like how the first half of a book sets up the second half of a book. This ISN'T a standalone film, it's half a story.

mothman

Thanks for the guidance. I will now watch CivWar on ver 'flix, then return once I've seen InfWar.