Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:20:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Started watching Always Sunny

Started by madhair60, March 23, 2018, 12:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Loving it lads. Almost finished series 2. Series 1 was good but 2 has been a big step up.

Favourite episodes, lines, moments, etc.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I've always thought season 1 was a bit crap tbh, whenever I recommend the show to anyone I just get them to start at s2 when Danny devito joins and it all gets really good

madhair60

I just saw the one with the underground fighting/steroids and I thought it was incredible.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: madhair60 on March 23, 2018, 01:10:51 PM
I just saw the one with the underground fighting/steroids and I thought it was incredible.

It's one of my favourites. Charlie having intense mood-swings while eating a sandwich in that episode is probably my favourite moment of the whole show.

SteveDave

I started watching this a while ago and got to series 7 (I think). I'm having a break to watch The Mick but will be going back to it.

My highlights have been Charlie's little GIF-able dance, the turd in the bed whodunnit and Kitten Mittons.

AsparagusTrevor

I didn't think season 1 was as good but I didn't dislike it at all. It's odd to watch it back after 12 more seasons and see how different and interchangeable the characters were back then, they hadn't really established their personalities back then.

It's an amazing show, it somehow remains infinitely watchable while being relentlessly grim. I've tried to get friends and relatives to watch but it's a hard sell, only managed to get my auntie to watch it. She absolutely loved it and watched the whole thing over the space of a few weeks.

Bhazor

Quote from: madhair60 on March 23, 2018, 01:10:51 PM

My favourite episode of the entire run and its the episode the show really came together for me. Kaitlyn and Charlie are just fantastic in that.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: madhair60 on March 23, 2018, 12:56:43 PM
Favourite episodes, lines, moments, etc.

I love the bit where they're trying to start a club to make male friends and the invitation is supposed to be a muscley arm but looks like a cock and balls.

madhair60

She's unbelievable. That one and the one before it where Dennis and Dee go on welfare, I liked what came before but those two stepped it up a notch.

checkoutgirl

The bit where Frank and Charlie both explain how they would eat cat food to try and fall asleep. Makes no sense whatsoever but in the context of the show and their characters it seems logical.

Blinder Data

Oh boy, have you got some treats in store. It varies in quality but when it hits, it knocks it out the park. The most recent season had probably my favourite episode ("Hero or Hate Crime?").

I fancy a rewatch but I can't stomach going through all of them again. Need to find some top 10 episode lists.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 23, 2018, 02:16:46 PM
The bit where Frank and Charlie both explain how they would eat cat food to try and fall asleep. Makes no sense whatsoever but in the context of the show and their characters it seems logical.

That bit is brilliant. From what I remember Charlie's talking about it and it sounds like a load of glue-addled crazy bollocks and then you see Frank jump into bed and start shovelling cat food into his mouth before falling asleep.

BeardFaceMan

Olsen is great at the physical comedy too, that bit when she smacks her head into a parked car when she runs out of the shop in ill fittimg shoes is fucking perfect.

Dr Rock

I started watching it a couple of weeks ago. I'd seen the first couple of episodes ages ago and put it on my 'watch later' list. Well now I'm up to Season Four and by fuck this is one of the funniest shows ever. They are all so stupid. There is not a clever one. That in itself is genius, recalling the Three Stooges or something. They deliver their lines so fast. It's a masterpiece.

Utter Shit

I have a weird relationship with this show. I enjoy it and there are fantastic moments in every episode, but I never find myself wanting to binge watch it - I'll usually watch an episode then completely forget about it for a couple of months before remembering and watching another. My instinct is to say that it's because each episode feels very similar to the last...but that doesn't seem like a fair criticism even as I'm saying it. Other than that, my best guess is that it's because for all the show's strengths, it doesn't really have a heart to it (deliberately so, none of the characters are really sympathetic) so it feels quite throwaway.

Utter Shit

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 23, 2018, 03:34:40 PM
Olsen is great at the physical comedy too, that bit when she smacks her head into a parked car when she runs out of the shop in ill fittimg shoes is fucking perfect.

Oh God yeah that is amazing. Her trying not to be sick when doing stand-up is great too.

BeardFaceMan

They do some impressive world building and continuity too, it never feels like its just them and their bar and the outside world doesnt exist. Great cast of recurring characters, some great running gags and of course, the decline of Rickety Cricket (I feel like they took inspiration from Herr Starr in Preacher for that). And great one off guests that never feel like stunt-casting, they really have created a filthy, despicable world for everyone to play in.

Its good that Howerton is staying on as a producer (writer too?) on the show, but I'm curious as to how the dynamic of the group would change without Dennis if they went down that route, if things would still work. I think one of the strengths of the show is not so much the characters (thought they are great) but more in how the characters interact with each other, the cast all have great chemistry. Would the gang dynamic change a lot or suffer too much if you took a character away?

Ham Bap

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on March 23, 2018, 01:10:15 PM
I've always thought season 1 was a bit crap tbh, whenever I recommend the show to anyone I just get them to start at s2 when Danny devito joins and it all gets really good

Ive been struggling to get through s1 myself. Think im gonna skip ahead to s2.
I really need something to watch as well

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 23, 2018, 03:45:17 PM
Oh God yeah that is amazing. Her trying not to be sick when doing stand-up is great too.

She has one of the best dry heaves around, very funny lady.

I think they've taken the Seinfeld 'no hugging, no learning' thing to its logical extreme conclusion, a bunch of truly despicable people with no redeeming features whatsoever doing despicable things and always fucking up. Youre not quite hatewatching as you dont want them fail but youre not cheering them on to succed either. It shouldnt work at all, it sounds a terrible idea on paper, but when they are on form there are few sitcoms from the last 15 years that can touch them.

Utter Shit

Did anyone see the BBC sitcom Siblings when it was on? A complete rip-off of Sunny right down to the near-identical theme music, but it's pretty good and does a good job of replicating that "horrible people doing horrible things" vibe of Sunny.

up_the_hampipe

I've been watching The Mick. Olsen is good in that too. It's Sunny level madness but tweaked a little bit for a network, so basically just brighter and less swearing.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 23, 2018, 03:44:44 PM
I never find myself wanting to binge watch it

Funny how I am the total opposite. After the first or second episode I was completely hooked and I must have polished off 10 seasons in about 3 weeks. The reason being there are through lines like the priest who gradually degenerates and similar that made me power along. It's also a great show to watch while drinking.

I'm not sure it's completely right that they don't have sympathetic qualities. They are all pretty reprehensible people but I'm still rooting for Charlie. I still feel sort of bad when Frank gets fucked over or the priest gets abused and mistreated by the gang. That poor guy.

Utter Shit

Yeah that's true about Charlie, he's so utterly pathetic that you do sort of root for him even though he has no redeeming qualities, he's managed to go beyond the point where he's just a shithead and become so bad that you end up feeling sorry for him.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 23, 2018, 04:28:19 PM
Yeah that's true about Charlie, he's so utterly pathetic that you do sort of root for him even though he has no redeeming qualities, he's managed to go beyond the point where he's just a shithead and become so bad that you end up feeling sorry for him.

Also he is constantly tricked and treated badly by the rest of the gang. He always ends up doing the shitty cleaning jobs and getting turned down by the same girl over and over but keeps coming back. He has a natural charm as an actor that helps too. It's hard not to be on Charlie's side despite his many character flaws.

Then you have the priest who is even more pathetic, even though that seems impossible.

AsparagusTrevor

I'd say Charlie's my favourite character, he has so many of the best moments in the show;

All his songs and the Nightman Cometh musical,

When he and Mac have office jobs, his freak-out about the mail

Pretending to be a Texan oil-baron then puking gallons of blood all over his date

"BEAK!... regular chicken sandwich"

The Kitten Mittons advert, "MEEE-OW!"

The whole episode where Charlie attempts to date
"I'm a full-on rapist",
"Sorry about that, there was a guy in the toilet, wouldn't give me his shirt..."

And of course, the episode "Charlie Work" which I think is one of the best of the entire run.

Bhazor

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 23, 2018, 03:34:40 PM

Don't forget she did a whole season with a massive real life baby bulge and still did the physical stuff.

itsfredtitmus

Bad people being bad to each other!

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Charlie Goes America All Over Everybody's Asses

QuoteFrank: Look, I didn't go to Vietnam just to have pansies like you take my freedom away from me.
Dee: You went to Vietnam in 1993 to open up a sweatshop!
Frank: ...and a lot of good men died in that sweatshop!

I think the funniest one I watched recently was Frank's Little Beauties from Season 7. Some fantastic moments in that, Frank trying desparately to convince a roomful of parents that he's not a child molestor ("Do not diddle kids, do not diddle kids") while standing there with his utterly fucked face, that bit with Mac wheezing while he eats, Dee's song in the pageant ("a big humongous pain in my.... vaaaaaaaaaaagina!"), it's proper good

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on March 23, 2018, 08:37:58 PMI think the funniest one I watched recently was Frank's Little Beauties from Season 7. Some fantastic moments in that, Frank trying desparately to convince a roomful of parents that he's not a child molestor ("Do not diddle kids, do not diddle kids") while standing there with his utterly fucked face, that bit with Mac wheezing while he eats, Dee's song in the pageant ("a big humongous pain in my.... vaaaaaaaaaaagina!"), it's proper good
He looks so much like The Penguin in that scene

kidney

Loved the show in it's peak, feel like it's been pretty naff since Season 9 or 10. The only episode I really enjoyed from the latest season was Hero Or Hate Crime, which was a classic. I can't really put my finger on what's changed, it just feels like a different show now. It's like the writing isn't as sharp and the exchanges between characters aren't as engaging as they used to be. It feels somewhat zombie-Simpsons to me; a bit phoned in.

That said, here's a top 10 episode list off the top of me bonnet. I still enjoy all of these as much as I did on first viewing.
1. Mac and Dennis Break Up
2. The Gang Solves The Gas Crisis
3. Mac is a Serial Killer
4. Mac and Charlie Die
5. The Dennis System
6. Dennis and Dee Go On Welfare
7. The Great Recession
8. Paddy's Pub: The Worst Bar in Philly
9. Sweet Dee's Dating A Retarded Person
10. The Gang Gets Trapped