Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,188
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:09:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Started watching Always Sunny

Started by madhair60, March 23, 2018, 12:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmoney

I think he still friends with Olsen and Ryskub. I've never heard anything to suggest otherwise anyway.

Clownbaby

Every now and then I get Charlie's voice in my head saying "I ate a baby toad once." I can't explain it but I love the weird little grotesque details and history of each character, really specific things like eating baby toads and "cultivating mass." I really fuckin love Always Sunny and it is in hella good shape for 12 seasons. I miss Liam and Ryan McPoyle though.

New Jack

Considering its gone 12 seasons and soon more, I think it's an all time classic.

Go watch season 10 of Frasier. Or Friends. For a compare. Dare ya. Even our beloved Peep Show seemed to have deeper dips than dis.

Always Funny's quality control is fan fucking tastic. It might not be as universal, but it's fucking evergreen

*puts on Genius of Love*

Clownbaby

I genuinely can't think of any other comedy that has lasted to 12 seasons without going shit before that

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

To be fair, those shows had more than twice as many episodes per series. Their fifth or sixth series might be a more apt comparison. That's before we even get into the difference between network and cable standards.

I certainly can't, shan't and won't disagree about Always Sunny being a classic, though. Hell, it's even supplanted Arrested Development in my affections (and it shits on Curb Your Enthusiasm).

Clownbaby

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 03, 2018, 03:08:31 PM
To be fair, those shows had more than twice as many episodes per series. Their fifth or sixth series might be a more apt comparison. That's before we even get into the difference between network and cable standards.

I certainly can't, shan't and won't disagree about Always Sunny being a classic, though. Hell, it's even supplanted Arrested Development in my affections (and it shits on Curb Your Enthusiasm).

Yeah, Curb Your Enthusiasm has an even split of good/shit episodes for me and even though I love Arrested Development, it's shown its limit with season 5. They should have just left it

New Jack

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 03, 2018, 03:08:31 PM

S'pose but we live in an age where the mere 12 episodes of Basil' s BnB or the 6 a season, Peep Shows are only six long a series and in the pantheon of greats (well, Peep Show will be if it ain't already)

Frasier n Friends had big writing teams, and one of the things I admire about Always Funny (I'll keep calling it that til it sticks) is it's almost British in its scriptwriting teams.

A few outsiders have come in to write and direct but it's admirably kept close to the core creators. Rickety Cricket!! OK, so it's expanded a bit.. It's not quite Cleese and Booth holed up together. But I think their closeness absolutely adds to the congruity and identity.

Seems a bit more impressive when it's still largely a bit indie, a bit in house, and doesn't even submit material for awards! I particularly buzz off how it started. Very DIY.

Danny DeVito has to be the best bit of executive meddling ever. In a looser setup it could have been a disaster!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Another thing it has going for it is that it's already so over the top, I'm not sure there's any way it could jump the shark. Then again we've yet to see how the gang fares without Dennis.

New Jack

I look forward with glee to how they can top themselves

Maybe it's actually topping themselves?

Clownbaby

I'm thinking maybe the end of the show will be Frank dying. Or maybe he'll die in a Father Jack way after drinking something dodgy and turn out to actually be fine

Chollis

So am I the only person who thought the last season wasn't very funny?

New Jack

Quote from: Chollis on July 03, 2018, 05:19:04 PM

Old Lady House and the Water Park and the Lottery Ticket One and Cricket's Story and the perhaps arguable Dee Is a Stripper's Rock Bottom One

Suppose someone will pop up and agree with you, but I think it was stronger than the season previous!

Some of the effect might be how unique it is though.

I didn't like the Gang turn Black, oddly laugh free.. Respected it, but chuckles? Nah.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 03, 2018, 04:26:13 PM
Another thing it has going for it is that it's already so over the top, I'm not sure there's any way it could jump the shark. Then again we've yet to see how the gang fares without Dennis.

I really doubt Dennis has gone, at least not for long, or not from the whole show. Maybe just the bar for a bit.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: New Jack on July 03, 2018, 05:23:35 PM
Old Lady House and the Water Park and the Lottery Ticket One and Cricket's Story and the perhaps arguable Dee Is a Stripper's Rock Bottom One

Suppose someone will pop up and agree with you, but I think it was stronger than the season previous!

Some of the effect might be how unique it is though.

I didn't like the Gang turn Black, oddly laugh free.. Respected it, but chuckles? Nah.

Making Dennis Reynolds A Murderer is rock solid too.

madhair60

Finished S7 other day. The High School Reunion two-parter has some standout moments but overall I found it a little bit too depressing. Dennis' "tools" was a fucking outstanding performance though

Small Man Big Horse

Season 13 Howerton news: https://news.avclub.com/glenn-howerton-isn-t-entirely-finished-with-it-s-always-1828093617

QuoteRob McElhenney and Charlie Day both confirmed their longtime collaborator's involvement. "He's in pretty much every episode," McElhenney told reporters.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssss.

Clownbaby

That's a relief, the cast as a whole has a really specific effortless chemistry, Dennis leaving would have damaged it

Ferris

Quote from: madhair60 on July 05, 2018, 10:38:53 AM
Finished S7 other day. The High School Reunion two-parter has some standout moments but overall I found it a little bit too depressing. Dennis' "tools" was a fucking outstanding performance though

Mac's performance in the dance sequence was tremendous.

SteveDave

I've just finished season 11 and I'm upset that I've only got one more to go before I have to watch it week by week like a schnook.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 04, 2018, 11:28:00 AM
Season 13 Howerton news: https://news.avclub.com/glenn-howerton-isn-t-entirely-finished-with-it-s-always-1828093617

Rob McElhenney and Charlie Day both confirmed their longtime collaborator's involvement. "He's in pretty much every episode," McElhenney told reporters.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssss.

Every episode or cancel the show! He's a five star man!

Clownbaby

I can't stop thinking about Dennis' meltdown at the end of the Family Fight episode

ASFTSN

Quote from: Chollis on July 03, 2018, 05:19:04 PM

No, I didn't like it very much either. I really wish I did because I loved this show at its peak but I feel that was several series ago. There's certain things in the recent series that are actually starting to annoy me, like them falling back on their "The gang has one video tape" joke repeatedly.  I should probably rewatch them because I shifted my opinion on later Peep Show after basically feeling the same way.

Fingers crossed for the new episodes though!  Needs more McPoyles.

Cuellar

I thought it had some good episodes (PTSDee, Wolf Cola: A Public Relations Nightmare, Making Dennis Reynolds a Murderer for instance). It was inconsistent of course; compare Mac and Charlie's promotional video for Fight Milk to the incredibly professional job they did on Making Dennis Reynolds a Murderer. But on the whole I thought it was good.

I was actually just looking for the ones from that series that I didn't like, and I now see that they were all in series 11! Episodes like 'Being Frank' - made Frank far too brain damaged (not even knowing the names of the gang? You can't be serious Jeff come on); 'Chardee MacDennis 2' - just Chardee MacDennis again. So, compared to series 11, 12 is in my view much better.

Bhazor

I thought the last few seasons were a big step up from series 9 and 10. Really feels like they caught a second wind.

neveragain

Quote from: Clownbaby on August 04, 2018, 11:30:40 AM
That's a relief, the cast as a whole has a really specific effortless chemistry, Dennis leaving would have damaged it

Everything I've read says he'll be seen coping with fatherhood in, er, wherever it was. So I think there'll just be the odd phone call or unrelated B-plot (so little in the way of physical scenes with The Gang).
Has anyone seen the little trailers on the Sunny Facebook page? They all feature the supporting players and nothing of The Gang, which worries me.

Clownbaby

Quote from: neveragain on August 08, 2018, 07:23:09 PM
Everything I've read says he'll be seen coping with fatherhood in, er, wherever it was. So I think there'll just be the odd phone call or unrelated B-plot.

I'm hoping it's a lot more than that

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Clownbaby on August 08, 2018, 03:47:48 PM
I can't stop thinking about Dennis' meltdown at the end of the Family Fight episode

I love Keegan-Michael Key's exasperated performance in that entire episode. He's so good.

AsparagusTrevor

Bhazor

They all did that thing where they suddenly age 5 years. Don't like it. Reminds me we'll all die one day.