Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:32:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Started watching Always Sunny

Started by madhair60, March 23, 2018, 12:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

What's the episode where Frank gives a rousing speech to get the gang riled up for something and they go

"Yeah but what should we do?"

and he goes

"Hah?"

here it is, brilliant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5He3oobBQic

alan nagsworth

Dennis will always be my favourite character, although Sweet Dee is probably second, because as others have said, she's fucking amazing and her physical comedy is hilarious. That car-faceplant bit made me scream with laughter the first time I saw it. So unexpected, so fucking brutal.

Dennis' steady spiralling off into being a complete psychopath is wonderful character development, particularly when they buy the boat, and also amusingly when they're on the cruise ship. I love the scene when he's trying to explain "the implication" to Mac.

Another great peak of his personality is the season 11 episode "Mac and Dennis Move to the Suburbs", his decline there is terrifying to watch. He's just such a good performer.

As far as individual quotes go, Charlie finding the "Ali Baba sword" at the dump always makes me laugh:

checkoutgirl

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 23, 2018, 11:11:42 PM
I love the scene when he's trying to explain "the implication" to Mac.

Yeah that's an amazing piece of comedy. I can't imagine another show that could pull that off so convincingly. It's really dark.

Mac is easily the greatest/funniest character, the amount of times you can see Rob trying to contain laughter on multiple viewings

alan nagsworth

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 23, 2018, 11:15:16 PM
Yeah that's an amazing piece of comedy. I can't imagine another show that could pull that off so convincingly. It's really dark.

Yeah, there are ever-increasing levels of sheer human depravity and awful behaviour in Sunny that, if done most other places, would be ham-fisted or "lol dark/lol random" in their approach, and they'd fumble. This show has never felt that way to me, and the naturalistic way in which each individual episode, of which it's worth remembering there are a heady one hundred and thirty-four, spirals off into these hellish chasms where people's lives are ruined or even terminated in the flick of a switch and then abandoned forever is often sheer brilliance. There's heaps of talent in this show. I fucking love it.

BeardFaceMan

I feel like the first season was a bit ham-fisted, it was all cancer and molesting and racism and all a bit obvious and tryhard. Second season they started to concentrate on character more and the comedy was more about the characters in fucked up situations rather than the fucked up situation being the joke or maybe I just wasnt used to the characters. Its been a while since I've seen the first season but isnt there a fair bit of cringe comedy too? They toned that down over the years, thankfully.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 23, 2018, 11:32:13 PM
Yeah, there are ever-increasing levels of sheer human depravity and awful behaviour in Sunny that, if done most other places, would be ham-fisted or "lol dark/lol random" in their approach, and they'd fumble. This show has never felt that way to me, and the naturalistic way in which each individual episode, of which it's worth remembering there are a heady one hundred and thirty-four, spirals off into these hellish chasms where people's lives are ruined or even terminated in the flick of a switch and then abandoned forever is often sheer brilliance. There's heaps of talent in this show. I fucking love it.

I think part of the secret of the show is that while some things have long lasting consequences, for the gang mainly they just shrug their shoulders and carry on. They don't seem to give a shit about anything. Even the priest character, even though he's disfigured, homeless and will accept any bit of drugs or booze to get high for some pretty terrible forfeits, the next episode he's still willing to do whatever he's told for a bottle of beer or couple of dollars, and usually fairly enthusiastically. (love the episode where Cricket has a fever dream, fantasising about all sorts of shit and wakes up kissing a dog)

This removes the whole pathos element which ruins a lot of other shows and is why it's been described as Seinfeld pushed to wicked extremes. It owes a lot to that show, it's like a Seinfeld for the jaded, nihilistic, internet generation.

A bit like how Simon Day described The Fast Show as Monty Python for the MTV generation.

Bhazor

Another thing is that though horrible people they always direct it at each other.  Compared to say a Gervais sitcom there's very little humour derived from mocking other people.

That episode is one of my favourites. Dennis' storm sequence is amazing.

One thing I also love about the show is all the real world relationships. Mac and Dee are married, Charlie and Waitress are married, Dennis is married to the Pharmacist. It always adds to their scenes. Especially Mac and Dee fights where I always picture Rob sitting on the couch typing on his laptop. Looking down at his wife and child lying next to him. Ruffles her hair. She smiles up at him. He turns back to his laptop and types

"Interior (Paddy's Pub)

Mac: Dee you fucking bitch

[Dee is pelted in the face with raw fish guts and dry heaves for three minutes]

Twit 2

The health inspection episode is basically Birdman sitcom-style. My jaw was on the floor the first time I saw that one.

I still think my favourite exchange ever is Nightcrawlers:

https://youtu.be/FmM06XrJsKU

Ferris

I really liked the meta-episode ("The Gang Desperately Tries to Win an Award"). Great concept, fantastically executed.

Same with The Gang Broke Dee (or whatever it's called) where Sweet Dee becomes a standup. Skewering modern American standup comedy, while also making it fit into the narrative of the show and it's very funny. Lovely stuff.

Also any episode where they go out to that expensive restaurant and call everyone jabronis.

Twed

My mind hasn't really been okay since I saw this:

Always Honey in Philadelphia

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 23, 2018, 11:15:16 PM

I quite liked the callback to it on the cruise ship as it transpires Dee nonchalantly got it without Dennis having to explain.

Ferris

RUDE MAN WHO SHUSHES, PLEASE CALL

Dr Rock

I'm going to introduce someone to the show later tonight - what do you reckon is the best episode for such intensive purposes?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 24, 2018, 03:45:02 PM
I'm going to introduce someone to the show later tonight - what do you reckon is the best episode for such intensive purposes?

I tend to go with The D.E.N.N.I.S. System.

Dr Rock

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 24, 2018, 03:59:23 PM
I tend to go with The D.E.N.N.I.S. System.

I liked that one. But what's the one where Charlie fights the mascot?

Sebastian Cobb

Frank's intervention.

I think I introduced my 67 year old father to it with the one where they're working out who kept shitting the bed.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 24, 2018, 04:18:04 PM
Frank's intervention.

Good one. Directed by Fred 'Wonder Years' Savage says IMDb.

sprocket

Quote from: Twed on March 24, 2018, 02:46:08 PM
My mind hasn't really been okay since I saw this:

Always Honey in Philadelphia

Needs some vinegar.

kidney

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 24, 2018, 04:02:31 PM
I liked that one. But what's the one where Charlie fights the mascot?

The World Series Defence

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 24, 2018, 03:45:02 PM

My never fail, go to, intro episode is 'Sweet Dee gets audited'. The one that ends with the fake baby funeral. If people get on board with that ep, they'll get on board with all of them.

alan nagsworth

Everyone I've ever introduced it to gets Sweet Dee is Dating a Retarded Person as the first one. There's no fucking way anyone can not be bowled over and cheering like a mad cunt after the first time they watch Charlie and Dennis come up with Dayman, clapping and yelling it triumphantly, Charlie's mouth covered in silver spray paint. It's glorious.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on March 25, 2018, 12:04:41 AM
My never fail, go to, intro episode is 'Sweet Dee gets audited'. The one that ends with the fake baby funeral. If people get on board with that ep, they'll get on board with all of them.
That's definitely chucking them in at the deep end!

BeardFaceMan

Who are the best recurring characters? I have a soft spot for the lawyer and his increasing incredulity at the gang, their interactions are always fun, Brain Unger is great and its always good to hear Charlie pontificate on bird law. Hard to choose though, so many good guests in the show.

Ferris

Ornlu

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Rickety Cricket and the McPoyles, obviously. Also the rival bar owner, whom the gang repeatedly wind up discussing gay terminology in front of.

Dennis and Dee go on Welfare seems like a good introductory episode. You could follow it up with Frank's Pretty Woman, given they both feature Dee and Dennis' crack addiction.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 25, 2018, 03:16:10 PM
Who are the best recurring characters? I have a soft spot for the lawyer and his increasing incredulity at the gang, their interactions are always fun, Brain Unger is great and its always good to hear Charlie pontificate on bird law. Hard to choose though, so many good guests in the show.
Uncle Jack Kelly, when his fake big hand flys off in the court, then hes got them duct taped on the next scene