Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:17:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Started watching Always Sunny

Started by madhair60, March 23, 2018, 12:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bhazor

I do enjoy the depravity of Artemis and Frank's relationship. But Brian Unger just plays the role with so much joy that I have to agree he's the best recurring minor character.

Dr Rock

Danny DeVito recklessly waving a loaded gun around, and often firing it, is funny as fuck.

SteveDave

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 26, 2018, 12:53:26 AM
Danny DeVito recklessly waving a loaded gun around, and often firing it, is funny as fuck.

From me it's the producing it from (seemingly) nowhere that gets me howling.

Dog Botherer

Frank hijacking the riverboat in order to get to a movie on time and ranting about banging whores and exploring sewers to the baffled tourists has me in hysterics every time.

up_the_hampipe

I hope you've all watched the bloopers too. Often excellent https://youtu.be/Aeg5IdnJtkc

AsparagusTrevor

You can often see them corpsing in the show, Mac especially. There's quite an obvious one when Charlie starts singing his "Go Fuck Yourself" song.

madhair60

Holy fuck; "The Gang Sells Out", "Frank Sets Sweet Dee on Fire" and "Sweet Dee's Dating a Retarded Person", last night. Hell of a triple bill.

Bhazor

"Frank Sets Sweet Dee on Fire" reminds me of my favourite running gag of the show where it Gilligan cuts to a title card. Even when I know the name of the episode (because streaming) it still cracks me up.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: madhair60 on March 28, 2018, 02:34:34 PM
Holy fuck; "The Gang Sells Out", "Frank Sets Sweet Dee on Fire" and "Sweet Dee's Dating a Retarded Person", last night. Hell of a triple bill.

I think, apart from The Gang Cracks the Liberty Bell and Frank's Brother which I don't care for, season 3 - 7 is a perfect run of brilliant episodes.

madhair60

Christ, "Sweet Dee's Dating a Retarded Person" is incredible. This one exchange I've rewatched over and over again.

Frank: "The Pecan Sandies!"

Mac: "Isn't that a cookie?"

Frank: "Yeah, it's a cookie, but it's got another meaning."

Mac: "What's the other meaning?"

Frank: "What?"

It's all in the performance of that "what".

Mister Six

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 23, 2018, 11:40:38 PM
I feel like the first season was a bit ham-fisted, it was all cancer and molesting and racism and all a bit obvious and tryhard. Second season they started to concentrate on character more and the comedy was more about the characters in fucked up situations rather than the fucked up situation being the joke or maybe I just wasnt used to the characters. Its been a while since I've seen the first season but isnt there a fair bit of cringe comedy too? They toned that down over the years, thankfully.

Yeah, that's how I felt about the first season too, and why I gave up pretty quickly. So happy I gave it a spin somewhere around season four and immediately fell in love with it. I think it was the one where Mac's dad comes out of jail and he and Charlie are terrified he's going to kill them. Even coming off the back of so much continuity, it worked so well.

EDIT: Actually it might have been "The Gang Breaks Sweet Dee".

Fuck, I might go binge a bunch now.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Lion King on March 24, 2018, 10:27:39 AM
Great shout! This scene is one of my favourites - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drr8e0BjT8M

In fits at the scene where Mac panics when Frank bites into one and he just spits it everywhere.

Also the bit where Charlie and Frank are doing their 'Gruesome Twosome' thrusting while Dennis loudly trys to sick up apple seeds in the background.

EOLAN

See Season One getting a bit of stick. Certainly Danny de Vito added a larger dynamic to the show and there was an increase in the interplay. But when I started off chronologically; I must admit to I really enjoyed season 1 and that I was happily set up for more; with or without Frank.
Any other Season One defenders out there.

brat-sampson

Sure, I started from the beginning and even then it seemed like an anarchic breath of fresh air. It may have tacked its topics pretty gracelessly, and been courting more controversy, but it was still very funny.

Cuellar

Yeah I thought it was good (Season 1). It devolved into shouting over each other a bit too frequently as a way of getting a laugh/out of a scene. And as much as 'Charlie Gets Molested' is a bit of a hackneyed 'lol paedos' plotline, I think it's a v funny episode. Mac trying to get molested, the brief shot of a sweating and aroused Uncle Jack at the intervention. All good stuff.

up_the_hampipe

Yes, season one is good and all these "skip to season two" recommendations on this forum make me sick to my arse. Fake fans.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I have no beef to squash with the first series. As great as Frank is, I was initially a little disappointed about him turning up and changing the dynamic.

Bhazor

I do enjoy the more natural feel of the first series. Though I'm sure its dourness would get exhausting after a few series. I will say though "The Gang Gets Racist" is one of their absolute worst episodes feeling like two Extras episodes jammed together. Charlie Has Cancer which was the original pilot would have made a much better introduction to the show.

The series is actually a bit funnier to watch once you've seen the later series. Just to see all the characters being out of character. I mean Charlie can read in series 1.

garbed_attic

I'm been watching from the start with my sister this last month. Mid-way into season 3. I find Mac such a confusing character - I don't even know how I'd begin to describe him!

Scrapey Fish

Quote from: gout_pony on April 04, 2018, 12:02:12 PM
I'm been watching from the start with my sister this last month. Mid-way into season 3. I find Mac such a confusing character - I don't even know how I'd begin to describe him!

I found that a bit too, but in the later series they define him better by developing two major aspects to his character

Scrapey Fish

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 04, 2018, 11:16:46 AM
I have no beef to squash with the first series. As great as Frank is, I was initially a little disappointed about him turning up and changing the dynamic.
Me too, I felt series 2 was weaker than series 1. They get it together in series 3 though

Dr Rock

The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis is awesome.

Bhazor

Quote from: Scrapey Fish on April 04, 2018, 12:31:05 PM
I found that a bit too, but in the later series they define him better by developing two major aspects to his character

I will say Mac is probably the weakest of the main cast. He always seems a little awkward and inconsistent both as a character and a performer. Though Rob compensates by being the main writer of the show. He should probably take some credit just for keeping the show an ensemble effort rather than doing the usual "This show is all about me!" that seems to happen whenever a comedian writes their own sitcom.

neveragain

But his acting improves remarkably as it goes on! Seriously. By the latest series, he's giving a wonderfully confident and rounded comedy performance. Possibly due to the streamlining of the character or just being around such talented conspirators. I struggle to think of other examples of this. (To my mind, he was stilted and always mugging woefully at the start.)

Bhazor

He definitely improved but the rest of the cast improved alongside him so he remained the weakest link. He certainly doesn't have the range of Dennis or Charlie let alone the absolute shamelessness of Devito.

BeardFaceMan

You have to admire Mac for putting on and then losing all that weight just because he thought it would be funny. And actually going through with it after he tried to get all of the cast to do it and they said no.

up_the_hampipe

I think Mac might be the most complex character. The rest of them are probably funnier but they are pretty cut-and-dry monsters, whereas Mac seems to have a heart but he's driven by his insecurities. He's still funny enough to carry episodes with his lunacy.

Sebastian Cobb

Charlie is the least outright malicious even when you take the stalking into account.