Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:47:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Started watching Always Sunny

Started by madhair60, March 23, 2018, 12:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ieXush2i

Quote from: neveragain on April 04, 2018, 03:19:57 PM
But his acting improves remarkably as it goes on! Seriously. By the latest series, he's giving a wonderfully confident and rounded comedy performance. Possibly due to the streamlining of the character or just being around such talented conspirators. I struggle to think of other examples of this. (To my mind, he was stilted and always mugging woefully at the start.)

They (and the non-performing writers) know exactly how to write to each actor's strengths, which is why they always appear as slight variations on their Sunny personae in other projects for better or worse.

Mac is my favourite by a shade too, there's so much going on there that elevates him above closeted jock-wannabe (the distinction needs to be made).

I love that it's never ha-ha gay once he comes out, but ha-ha that is exactly how Mac would embrace his homosexuality, selfishly and childishly adopting and rejecting facets of the stereotypical identity when he's not changed at all, other than being open about banging dudes.

ieXush2i

Quote from: gout_pony on April 04, 2018, 12:02:12 PM
I'm been watching from the start with my sister this last month. Mid-way into season 3. I find Mac such a confusing character - I don't even know how I'd begin to describe him!

He's blissfully unaware of how confused/confusing he is, which leads to some great internal amd external conflicts.

Scrapey Fish

Quote from: Bhazor on April 04, 2018, 03:28:20 PM
He definitely improved but the rest of the cast improved alongside him so he remained the weakest link. He certainly doesn't have the range of Dennis or Charlie let alone the absolute shamelessness of Devito.

Probably true but his facial expressions are all I need really

https://youtu.be/KSXJfqkT36M

TrenterPercenter

Show is complete genius and is the best comedy to come out of the US since the Simpsons imo. I'm on my second watch through now.  Big big fan.

Top episode (though there are so many) i don't think has been mentioned yet

"The Gang Wrestles for the Troops"

garbed_attic

Quote from: (Ex poster) on April 04, 2018, 07:10:47 PM
He's blissfully unaware of how confused/confusing he is, which leads to some great internal amd external conflicts.

This is a nice description!

garbed_attic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 04, 2018, 06:53:07 PM
Charlie is the least outright malicious even when you take the stalking into account.

I don't know... children can be plenty malicious.

neveragain

Yeah, what about his attacks on the restaurant/bar critic?

up_the_hampipe

The scene in which Charlie watches Dee try stand-up comedy is probably the hardest I've ever laughed at the show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3BEUX5n0nY

Kaitlin Olson has gagging down to a fine art.

AsparagusTrevor

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 05, 2018, 08:22:10 PM
The scene in which Charlie watches Dee try stand-up comedy is probably the hardest I've ever laughed at the show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3BEUX5n0nY

Kaitlin Olson has gagging down to a fine art.
That's my favourite IASIP clip.

Twit 2

I wonder if the Jesus Christ called out off screen is influenced by a similar bit in Father Ted (fuckin hell) or whether they just arrived at the funniness of that independently.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 08, 2018, 10:24:32 PM
I wonder if the Jesus Christ called out off screen is influenced by a similar bit in Father Ted (fuckin hell) or whether they just arrived at the funniness of that independently.

The off screen exclamation gag has been around for a while. Though I can't recall a great pre-Ted example of the top of me head. Just back in from booze. Will follow up shortly

ieXush2i

Simpsons, which is presumably where they got it from for Ted. The fingers thing means the taxes, who keeps saying nay etc

Bhazor

Isn't there a Beckett play where a character heckles from the audience in a similar way?

AsparagusTrevor

Yeah, in Waiting for Godot someone shouts "fuckin' 'ell!"

JamesTC

After reading this thread I thought I'd rewatch the show.

Now nearing the end. A Cricket's Tale is much funnier the second time around when you can follow along knowing how it ends.

Season 9 was really weird rewatching it. Such an oddity to the seasons before and after. It was as if that season alone had a budget increase which they felt they had to use but then the budget was dropped again. Some good episodes (in particular Flowers for Charlie) but it is certainly the worst post-season 1. 

madhair60

Watching season 5, oh my god. This season is firing on all cylinders. Incredible.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: JamesTC on April 15, 2018, 12:56:34 PM
Season 9 was really weird rewatching it. Such an oddity to the seasons before and after. It was as if that season alone had a budget increase which they felt they had to use but then the budget was dropped again. Some good episodes (in particular Flowers for Charlie) but it is certainly the worst post-season 1.

On the contrary, I thought 9 was Sunny finding its feet again after a couple of dodgy seasons.

Bhazor

Quote from: Bhazor on April 13, 2018, 10:14:48 PM
Isn't there a Beckett play where a character heckles from the audience in a similar way?

I'm so uncultured I'm forced to concede you might be right.

SteveDave

There's a Buzzfeed article I found yesterday that says that Glenn Howerton was in the running to be Starlord in Guardians Of The Galaxy? And the lead in the new Jurassic Park films? He must really hate that Pratt fellow if it's true.

Bhazor

How could they turn down the golden god?

Dr Rock

Danny DeVito is the only person that could play the Mole Man.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: SteveDave on April 19, 2018, 11:22:27 AM
There's a Buzzfeed article I found yesterday that says that Glenn Howerton was in the running to be Starlord in Guardians Of The Galaxy? And the lead in the new Jurassic Park films? He must really hate that Pratt fellow if it's true.
Maybe he asked Charlie Day to piss in his coffee as revenge when they made The Lego Movie.

neveragain

Quote from: Bhazor on April 13, 2018, 10:14:48 PM

Beckett's first full-length play Eleutheria (which wasn't produced) features a character who rises from the audience to proclaim that it's all bollocks.

QuoteAn audience member becomes dissatisfied and leaves his box to get on the stage, complaining that the play is going on without providing any satisfaction to the audience. the prompter becomes fed up, and the script plummets from the sky onto the ground. The audience member brings a Chinese torturer to try to cure Victor. Eventually, he gets a mildly satisfactory answer and leaves the stage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleutheria_(play)

madhair60

Christ. Season 5 is the best season. Easily. Every episode has been amazing. "The Gang Wrestles For The Troops" followed by "Kitten Mittons".

Egg.

AsparagusTrevor

Season 05 has The Waitress is Getting Married and The D.E.N.N.I.S. System, the rest of the episodes could be dogshit and it'd still be a decent season. Luckily the rest of the episodes are amazing.

Ferris

What season has the boat*? I think that might be 5 as well.

*P Diddy style shrimping vessel

AsparagusTrevor

Season 6 has the boat episode, also a very good season.

Dr Rock

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 20, 2018, 01:16:05 PM
What season has the boat*? I think that might be 5 as well.

*P Diddy style shrimping vessel
Season 6, Episode 3.

These are really re-watchable too. I've got a few seasons to finish but if I accidentally put on one I've seen before I'll let it roll.