Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 07:29:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wild Wild Country

Started by paruses, March 24, 2018, 10:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

This appeared on Netflix the other day and I started watching late last night. Am into the second episode at the moment and quite enjoying it although it's fairly by-the-numbers documentary in style.

At the moment I'm siding with the cult and finding the Americans, as usual, to be massive hypocrites and frightened of anything different.

This no doubt the set up before they turn the tables and reveal horrors like the  cult is based on rape and murder or that they keep eggs in the fridge.

Am sure I heard an R4 Sunday morning "we were there" sort of thing (is it called The Reunion?) and it seemed a fine lifestyle but ruined by human ambition in the end - could be very wrong.

Anyone else?

I am at episode 3 just now and very fascinated by the "cult". Currently on the side of
The Rashwana lot as they don't seem to be doing any harm and the locals seem to be a majority of
Intolerant white Christian folk.I think that's all about to change though given what I have learned.
The series seems be quite balanced so far and is a very interesting in the detail it seems to be capturing. 

TIAL

I'm 4 episodes in and absolutely loving it.
I feel like saying anything about it would spoil the turns it takes, so it's best going in cold.

Quote from: TIAL on March 27, 2018, 09:32:20 PM
I'm 4 episodes in and absolutely loving it.
I feel like saying anything about it would spoil the turns it takes, so it's best going in cold.

Totally agree with that. I started reading the wiki page on the whole scenario and decided to stop so it wouldn't spoil what's coming up.

paruses

Glad someone else is watching it - I got derailed at the weekend by buying The Sopranos complete series on DVD for not much but will get back to this.

Think I was up to ep. 3 and the town had voted <redacted> disincorporate.

I liked the film that was shown at the cinema about the Rashwana - apart from seeing a few tits and massive man bush those sessions were just like the primal scream therapy of the 60s - hardly shocking. I loved the reactions of the white folk to that.

Also avoiding wikipedia to see what happens so appreciate spoilers to a minimum. 

Lee Van Cleef

I thought it was a good series, and neither side essentially came out well. The intolerance and small-mindedness of the local community, and the callousness and aggression of the leaders of the Rajneeshees (particularly Sheela, it seems like she was consistently provoking and gunning for a fight). What I found most uncomfortable was the deification of this man, and even now his followers mainaintaining (for the most part) their loft opinion of him, whom was ultimately taking advantage of them and enjoying the opulence of his status. I know it's a instinctive thing and not quantifiable, but when I was watching him he just had an air of untrustworthyness, heightened by his apparent retaliation over the "defection" if you can call it that. He actually came across to me as a petty and disingenuous person.

Standard hypocrisy from the Christians. Law enforcement/government agents being assholes but in some instances justifiably so.

Really liked the Lawyer and the Mother (and would be assassin).

TIAL

One episode to go, feel like I'll spend a long time reading up about all this after I know how it ends up.
Also I have a bit of a crush on Sunny. That is all.

Lee Van Cleef

If you haven't seen it yet, I'd recommend Holy Hell, also on Netflix. Film about life inside a Cult over 20 years. It really is a testament to the charm and manipulation inherent in narcissism.

paruses

Thanks. Will have a look. It's all serial killers these days but I do like the cults.

Not reading your spoilered post yet - got a bit further the other day watching at my desk but in the end there was just too much tits and fanny to be comfortable - never thought I'd type that sentence.

Sin Agog

Best thing I've seen on there for yonks.  Ta for starting this thread.

paruses

No problem - I am pleased that this has become literally 1000% a more popular thread than my Beyond one.

I am watching them in a bit of a rush and just got into ep 5. I am not quite sure how much is archive footage and how much is reconstruction. I am sure there is a bit in ep 4 about Bhagwan's doctor which is either a reconstruction to make in more dramatic (even though that's not necessary) or it is a really good bit of archive footage editing.

Have to say I've not seen such a compelling documentary in a while. I think understatement is the key to its quality.

What will happen next? Hoping to finish today.

Hank Venture

I've not spoiled myself, and have just seem episode 2, which was good, but I suspect the filmmakers are omitting a few facts here and there to build a better narrative.

In fact, I know they are:

It is implied that the bombing at the end of episode 2 is done by one of the villagers. It was actually done by an Islamic extremist from LA who had nothing to do with any of the groups. The police caught him within a year. It's very dishonest to omit this, because it makes the viewer immediately sympathize with the cult over the supposedly bombing villagers.

paruses

Interesting. I just have ep 6 to watch now so not looking into things until I've done that one.

Very disappointing to find that the nude photos of Sheela in Stern magazine are impossible to find - and that's with Safe Search Off too.

kidsick5000