Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:57:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

James Acaster

Started by notjosh, March 26, 2018, 05:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: olliebean on November 02, 2018, 08:59:24 PM
I mean, I've seen him do bits of stand-up and other stuff as himself on other things and frankly couldn't tolerate him and can't imagine myself warming to him. Is this significantly different from anything he's done in the past?

I can't see how anyone would find it intolerable. It's a joyous show with lots of silly songs, great jokes and impressive production.

neardark

Genuinely makes me wonder if you're all trolling when you say he's good.

Utter Shit

Does it genuinely? That's a pretty stupid attitude to take if so.

kittens

first thing i saw of him was a work in progress of his new show last year which i really enjoyed. then watched his netflix shows which i laughed quite a bit at but were less good. like him on taskmaster. all in all, good lad, one to watch.

CaledonianGonzo

Mixed emotions on this. I've been on board for a number of years now and the new show is getting raves, but I'll be fucked if I'm going to pay £60 to see him on a Sunday night in the King's Theatre.

ozufan

Tickets for Kings Theatre are £21. Still available for Dress Circle on capitaltheatres.com

CaledonianGonzo

Fair response.  Although £42 (for two) is also right out.

I dunno.  I'm spoiled I guess.  If I've seen an act plenty of times in an Edinburgh tin hut I guess I have to wave goodbye at some point when they graduate to the big league.  I'll still see S. Lee and Kitson when they come through town in the bigger venues, but I don't think Ja-Cast is quite in the same league.

He's still fucking great though.

Small Man Big Horse

The work in progress I'm seeing is only £8 which I'm happy to pay. But not a penny more.

London whores might be interested in https://centraltickets.co.uk/, there's only a sprinkling of comedy on there but I've managed to see a few things for £4 instead of £18+

chveik

I loved the four specials. He's very good in Taskmaster, but I wouldn't have bothered to watch his stand up if (almost) all of you fine folks haven't recommended it. Thanks !

Blinder Data

Dammit, I'm late to the party with this one. Watched all four as a newbie and loved them, though the last one was clearly not as well structured and more stand uppy (if still funny).

Has Taskmaster made him the next big thing then? He seems to have sold out the O2 Academy in Glasgow which is bonkers. I remember neglecting to see him when he was at the Oran Mor a few years ago, which obviously I regret now (it sounds like that was the show he mentions in his rant towards the end of the third special).

Here's hoping he declines in popularity and starts picking more sensibly sized venues soon

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 03, 2018, 05:09:21 PM
The work in progress I'm seeing is only £8 which I'm happy to pay. But not a penny more.

London whores might be interested in https://centraltickets.co.uk/, there's only a sprinkling of comedy on there but I've managed to see a few things for £4 instead of £18+

He ended up cancelling this as he supposedly was ill. I shall never forgive him, and intend to spread rumours that the illness is a psychological urge to commit murder.

DrGreggles

For anyone who hasn't read his Classic Scrapes book, someone has compiled all his stories from Josh Widdicombe's radio show:
https://youtu.be/htTVD31u0f0

Warning: contains Josh Widdicombe

up_the_hampipe

Acaster is doing a week in London in January for his new hour (won't start touring with it until much later in the year). Got some tickets for it last night, might still be some good ones left https://www.livenation.co.uk/artist/james-acaster-tickets

notjosh

Acaster is a contestant on this week's Richard Osman's House of Games and comfortably walked away with the first episode.

It's a nice tea-time watch and comedians tend to do well on it, as their opponents are mainly actors and presenters who don't know anything unless the words are already written out for them.

Utter Shit

House of Games is bloody brilliant, isn't it.

imitationleather

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 24, 2018, 05:12:43 PM
Acaster is doing a week in London in January for his new hour (won't start touring with it until much later in the year). Got some tickets for it last night, might still be some good ones left https://www.livenation.co.uk/artist/james-acaster-tickets

D'oh, wish I'd seen this sooner.

Not sure my missus can go down to London during the week anyway. Hopefully he'll grace us backward folk in the north-east with his presence before the world ends, which I anticipate being at some point in the latter third of 2019.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

He's the comic that Justin Lee Collins wanted to be.

Custard

Ed Gamble has just announced they're doing a new podcast together

https://www.instagram.com/p/BquJGezhPtM/

BritishHobo

Is that his first ever non-Peacock-and-Gamble podcast? Should be interesting.

DrGreggles

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 28, 2018, 01:25:09 PM
Is that his first ever non-Peacock-and-Gamble podcast? Should be interesting.

He did one regularly for a while on Fubar with (someone) and has guested on a few.

gilbertharding

Acaster's voicing the 'Be Someone's Mate' advert Dave are running at the moment.

It made me wonder if my phone would ring... but perhaps none of the friends I last spoke to 8 years ago aren't big telly watchers.

I have two Cold Lasagne Hate Myself tickets for Wednesday the 16th of January if anyone wants to buy 'em. Gutted I can't go, I love this guy.

Jockice

I've managed to totally avoid this chap until now. But I know for a fact I'm getting his book for Christmas. It'd better be good.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Jockice on December 19, 2018, 07:46:31 AM
I've managed to totally avoid this chap until now. But I know for a fact I'm getting his book for Christmas. It'd better be good.

Classic Scrapes? You have nothing to worry about there, my friend.
I laughed out loud at some of it - something I rarely do with books.

Jockice

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 19, 2018, 07:53:48 AM
Classic Scrapes? You have nothing to worry about there, my friend.
I laughed out loud at some of it - something I rarely do with books.

Yip. And how do I know I've been bought it for Christmas? Because I've already opened the package with it in, that's why. There's a bit of a family dispute going on at the moment and as I have three parcels from the two estranged sections curiosity overcame me this morning. I haven't opened the other two yet though.

I think the person who chose it is my legendary relation who is a member here but rarely posts. I trust in his taste in comedy so I'm sure it'll be good.

rasta-spouse

Interesting point on Buxton's podcast about vibe similarities between Acaster and Jarvis Cocker, I hadn't seen it until it was mentioned.

To those who have the Classic Scrapes audiobook - is there a point in getting this if one has already heard the stories on the Widdecombe podcast + youtube fan compilations? (Obviously yes, to support the artist - but I'm wondering if there's additional stuff that's otherwise unobtainable).

vainsharpdad

Yes - it's better structured and more reflective.

The book's an odd one. Some of the it falls completely flat while much of it made me laugh more than anything else I've ever seen in print, but it's not really representative of his standup.

Three stars some funny bits.

up_the_hampipe

Saw a preview of Cold Lasange, Hate Myself 1999 last night. Excellent, superb, brilliant. His best stuff yet. I've always been impressed by his work, but the subject matter was a little too whimsical at times for me, dwelling on a silly premise for a long time. This new show is a lot more personal, but still retaining the style and writing that have put him on such an elite level. It's progression that could send him into the stratosphere. Definitely recommend you all go see it later this year. 

Dusty Substance

James Acaster is a very good comedian but he was rude to me after a gig circa 2013 and I've never been able to enjoy his comedy since.