Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:17:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

James Acaster

Started by notjosh, March 26, 2018, 05:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: Dusty Substance on January 16, 2019, 02:27:21 AM
James Acaster is a very good comedian but he was rude to me after a gig circa 2013 and I've never been able to enjoy his comedy since.

Maybe you are an arsehole. Did that cross your mind?

olliebean

Quote from: Dusty Substance on January 16, 2019, 02:27:21 AM
James Acaster is a very good comedian but he was rude to me after a gig circa 2013 and I've never been able to enjoy his comedy since.

Funnily enough, this actually make me enjoy his comedy more.

DrGreggles

Acaster held the door open for me once.
Said thanks and he said no problem.

A dull exchange undoubtedly, but one that shows his basic politeness.

#teamacaster

Twed

He should host a podcast via the Acast platform

Twed

What was his name before?

Twed

Probably James iTuneser.

Mango Chimes

James is an odd name too, when you look at it. Plural Jame. No wonder he's a comedian!

Dusty Substance

Quote from: phantom_power on January 16, 2019, 09:54:31 AM
Maybe you are an arsehole. Did that cross your mind?

I really wasn't. I told him how much I'd enjoyed the show, thanked him and wished him all the very best - Just as I have with dozens of comedy acts over the years. He was the only one to simply silently stare blankly at me for what seemed like an eternity before turning his back. I'm not saying he's always a rude cunt but he definitely was to me that night.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Dusty Substance on January 16, 2019, 05:58:51 PM
I really wasn't. I told him how much I'd enjoyed the show, thanked him and wished him all the very best - Just as I have with dozens of comedy acts over the years. He was the only one to simply silently stare blankly at me for what seemed like an eternity before turning his back. I'm not saying he's always a rude cunt but he definitely was to me that night.

Hold on. You're not Alex Horne, are you?

phantom_power

Quote from: Dusty Substance on January 16, 2019, 05:58:51 PM

Have you considered the possibility you were invisible?

Dusty Substance

Quote from: phantom_power on January 16, 2019, 06:55:49 PM
Have you considered the possibility you were invisible?

Holy shit! I did go to the venue that night via a secret laboratory with all blue lightning and smoke emanating from it so it's not out the question.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 15, 2019, 09:33:06 AM
Saw a preview of Cold Lasange, Hate Myself 1999 last night. Excellent, superb, brilliant. His best stuff yet. I've always been impressed by his work, but the subject matter was a little too whimsical at times for me, dwelling on a silly premise for a long time. This new show is a lot more personal, but still retaining the style and writing that have put him on such an elite level. It's progression that could send him into the stratosphere. Definitely recommend you all go see it later this year.

Want to echo this, really fantastic show. Would put it well above anything I saw in 2018. Glad I got to see him do it in a room above a pub setting too, he has such a great intensity to his stuff that I have to assume gets lost a bit in a big theatre

Blinder Data

Shut up, i delayed getting tickets for the extra show they added due to the first one being sold out, and now that that show is sold out, i do not need to hear about how great the show is

SteveDave

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on January 21, 2019, 11:43:54 AM
Want to echo this, really fantastic show. Would put it well above anything I saw in 2018. Glad I got to see him do it in a room above a pub setting too, he has such a great intensity to his stuff that I have to assume gets lost a bit in a big theatre

I saw it in November when he did a run at a theatre and it was still quite intensely intense.

The row of banter lads behind us didn't like it though. Especially when he went for Brexit.

DrGreggles

Sorry for the bump, but I'm on the lookout for a spare ticket to one of his remaining Cold Lasagne tour dates.
Please drop me a message if you have or know of one.

Ta.

MigraineBoy

Anyone seen a 'Cold Lasagna..' date recently?

I saw it months ago and it was fantastic, saw it in Liverpool on Friday night & it was still great, but fucking hell - he's knackered.

Apparently the next night was a mess - heckler, getting an audience member ejected, telling the audience because they are Scousers they think they are funny, that they were too conservative for talk about mental health...etc
He did 2 hrs but didn't even reach the halfway point of the routine.

up_the_hampipe

Heard he's had some other rough nights on the tour, one show in Stafford seemed to break him. That's the problem when you do things like Bake Off and all the naff panel shows, he's opened up to a wider audience, and they're probably expecting something else.

rasta-spouse

I've been at an Acaster show where he's taken a significant detour from his material to have a go at hecklers. Really enjoyed it. I think he'd make a really good abstract insult comic.

QuoteApparently the next night was a mess - heckler, getting an audience member ejected, telling the audience because they are Scousers they think they are funny, that they were too conservative for talk about mental health...etc
He did 2 hrs but didn't even reach the halfway point of the routine.

Gigs like these make great bootlegs. Get taping!

Hat FM

hasn't that been part of acaster's shtick now for a few years? to perceive that the audience aren't into it and that he's having a terrible show? kinda like an offshoot of the stewart lee thing as in the audience don't really get it.  I've seen him do this sort of thing two or three times. maybe i've just been unlucky!

what happened about those shows he filmed at EARTH in hackney a while back? i think it was cold lasagne and some other stuff that didn't fit into that show. I presumed he would be selling it to one of the streaming ladz.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Hat FM on December 02, 2019, 03:38:48 PM
hasn't that been part of acaster's shtick now for a few years? to perceive that the audience aren't into it and that he's having a terrible show? kinda like an offshoot of the stewart lee thing as in the audience don't really get it.  I've seen him do this sort of thing two or three times. maybe i've just been unlucky!

He does do this sometimes, but it's not schtick, according to him and people who have worked with him.

MigraineBoy

The Friday at Liverpool he did go off at UK audiences (Northern especially) as being the worst to play for. He said Liverpool was especially bad as the last time he played there he had the most walk-outs and for a city regarded as having a sense of humour nobody was as funny as they thought they were. He talked about a woman incessantly heckling (in Blackburn maybe?) who the audience sided with despite disagreeing with her pro-Boris shouts.

This was all taken on the chin though & before the end of the show he said coming from Kettering meant he had no identity and everyone is just bitter, so as Liverpool has a stereotypical image it's easy pickings to attack.

Apparently the Saturday night was a different matter and the jabs at the audience really split the room, which didn't recover.

It just felt to me like he should've stopped touring it a few months ago.  Speaking about your fragile mental health to a bunch of pissed-up people on a Saturday night is bound to get you down eventually.

Thosworth

I read reports about Acaster having a rough time of it 6 or 7 months ago at lots of different gigs in the US and Australasia. Seems like this has been going on for a long time:

https://www.reddit.com/r/notapanelshow/comments/bp5qmk/james_acasters_standup_shows_discussion/

Saw him at Wrexham in October, he did flip out at a couple in the front talking near the end for a full 5 mins then went back to the routine

btw does anyone know the songs he was playing before he came on? One in particular was a trap/rap song with an asian high pitched voice from what I can remember, cant find any info on his mix

chocky909

I'm going to one of the two filmed gigs week after next so hopefully he can keep it together. I didn't realise his gigs were so precarious though! Now I'm going to be tense and nervous watching him for the first time.

DrGreggles

Seen him twice on this tour and both times he had a go at the audience.
I think it's part of the show - almost as if he's challenging himself to kill the room mid-performance.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: chocky909 on December 02, 2019, 10:55:08 PM
I'm going to one of the two filmed gigs week after next so hopefully he can keep it together. I didn't realise his gigs were so precarious though! Now I'm going to be tense and nervous watching him for the first time.

Is he taping at EartH again? 
I thought it was just this in March:
https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2019/01/30/42180/james_acaster_records_another_special

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 02, 2019, 11:15:53 PM
Seen him twice on this tour and both times he had a go at the audience.
I think it's part of the show - almost as if he's challenging himself to kill the room mid-performance.

It's quite the opposite, from interviews I've heard. He says he has anger issues and a bad vibe from an audience or just individual audience members can completely throw him. It was something he said he was trying to control, but the length of this tour has probably made things worse. It's like Stewart Lee but for real.

Quote from: MigraineBoy on December 03, 2019, 06:25:14 AM
Is he taping at EartH again? 
I thought it was just this in March:
https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2019/01/30/42180/james_acaster_records_another_special

That was different material.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 03, 2019, 09:23:56 AM
That was different material.

I know.  I just hadn't seen anywhere that Cold Lasagna stuff was being filmed.  I was curious if the poster knew differently.

Beagle 2

Yeah, I've seen him properly turn on the audience a couple of times, once it was great if a little bit too real and once when he was absolutely shattered and it was all a bit of a flat fart as a result.