Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:40:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

James Acaster

Started by notjosh, March 26, 2018, 05:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rasta-spouse

He's spoken about the effects of touring on mental health before, but I find it hard to believe he'd be having a genuine uncontrolled breakdown on so many of these gigs. Acaster's no amateur, he's good at what he does and is probably trying out something new. And that reddit thread is a bunch of US fans who are basically not used to their s/up having levels and would much prefer Joe Rogan and his deltoids talking about how cool peyote is (well I wouldn't pey-o-te [pay out] for one of his thicko gigs, haha!). 

Just to clarify, as Cold Lasagne and extra material has already been taped earlier in the year, what show is he filming in a few weeks' time?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: rasta-spouse on December 03, 2019, 02:26:00 PM
He's spoken about the effects of touring on mental health before, but I find it hard to believe he'd be having a genuine uncontrolled breakdown on so many of these gigs. Acaster's no amateur, he's good at what he does and is probably trying out something new. And that reddit thread is a bunch of US fans who are basically not used to their s/up having levels and would much prefer Joe Rogan and his deltoids talking about how cool peyote is (well I wouldn't pey-o-te [pay out] for one of his thicko gigs, haha!). 

Just to clarify, as Cold Lasagne and extra material has already been taped earlier in the year, what show is he filming in a few weeks' time?

I don't think it's always uncontrolled, so to speak, he's trying to make a bit out of it but it comes from a real place. Sometimes he misjudges it, or his actual anger clouds the jokes. There are plenty of UK audiences that have expressed just as much confusion on Twitter and whatnot, so that's probably an unfair dismissal of the US fans (and US stand-up which has a way, way more diverse and groundbreaking history than our scene).

He filmed the show with extra material earlier this year. The Cold Lasange taping is what's coming up at the end of the tour.

Sin Agog

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 03, 2019, 02:38:24 PM
(and US stand-up which has a way, way more diverse and groundbreaking history than our scene)

Is that true, though? I think U.S. stand-up is generally so much better at delving inside and finding personal turmoil to work into a set, but there is also a bit more dogma there about not wavering from the traditional 'brick wall' formula.  Whereas the U.K. scene extended from a sorta dark alt-cabaret foundation in the '80s- Jongleurs and whatnot- so doing weird left-turns like this makes some sort of sense.

In any case, this is definitely as much of a prepared bit as starting a show in complete darkness down on one knee.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 03, 2019, 02:47:31 PM
Is that true, though? I think U.S. stand-up is generally so much better at delving inside and finding personal turmoil to work into a set, but there is also a bit more dogma there about not wavering from the traditional 'brick wall' formula.  Whereas the U.K. scene extended from a sorta dark alt-cabaret foundation in the '80s- Jongleurs and whatnot- so doing weird left-turns like this makes some sort of sense.

In any case, this is definitely as much of a prepared bit as starting a show in complete darkness down on one knee.

I find the scepticism around Acaster getting annoyed to be quite confusing. It's something he has openly talked about in interviews, I know people who have gigged with him that can attest to him being genuinely upset. He makes jokes out of it, but it's usually a natural response to something happening in the room. Comedians riff, especially when they're tired of doing the same material every night, not everything is prepared.

As for the US scene, this could go off into a long tangent, but I'll just say that it's so gigantic and there's so many branches to it, that describing it as one thing or saying there's any blanket rules or restrictions would be unfair. You can literally find prominent shows in comedy clubs, bars, strip clubs, living rooms and comic book shops, offering everything we have and more on a larger scale, with so many different means for comics of varying styles to make names for themselves, while there are many fantastic comedians in this country who are doomed to obscurity and word-of-mouth.

Utter Shit

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 03, 2019, 03:08:08 PM
I find the scepticism around Acaster getting annoyed to be quite confusing. It's something he has openly talked about in interviews, I know people who have gigged with him that can attest to him being genuinely upset. He makes jokes out of it, but it's usually a natural response to something happening in the room. Comedians riff, especially when they're tired of doing the same material every night, not everything is prepared.

I'd tend to agree that this is legit rather than schtick because the comments from people at these shows often seem more worried than offended/amused...but I can see why people might think it's planned, simply because it's happening so often.

DrGreggles

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 03, 2019, 03:08:08 PM

He clearly does 'riff' when he's attacking the audience, but it seems to happen most nights and that suggests to me that it's part of the show.
It's not as if he'd say "and then I pretend to get angry" during an interview to promote the tour.

Sin Agog

I think it's planned and legit at the same time.  A designated strop.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Utter Shit on December 03, 2019, 03:16:43 PM
I'd tend to agree that this is legit rather than schtick because the comments from people at these shows often seem more worried than offended/amused...but I can see why people might think it's planned, simply because it's happening so often.

I get why they'd think that initially, I just mean there's continuous pushback on what I'm saying based on evidence.

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 03, 2019, 03:17:20 PM
He clearly does 'riff' when he's attacking the audience, but it seems to happen most nights and that suggests to me that it's part of the show.
It's not as if he'd say "and then I pretend to get angry" during an interview to promote the tour.

These aren't promotional interviews I'm referencing, mainly in-depth podcasts on his career.

Wet Blanket

He had a go at the audience in York but it seemed very much like schtick to me, unless he really does believe remain voting York is a hotbed of Brexity conservative Christians. 

Spode

Quote from: MigraineBoy on December 02, 2019, 07:03:11 PM
The Friday at Liverpool he did go off at UK audiences (Northern especially) as being the worst to play for. He said Liverpool was especially bad as the last time he played there he had the most walk-outs and for a city regarded as having a sense of humour nobody was as funny as they thought they were. He talked about a woman incessantly heckling (in Blackburn maybe?) who the audience sided with despite disagreeing with her pro-Boris shouts.

This was all taken on the chin though & before the end of the show he said coming from Kettering meant he had no identity and everyone is just bitter, so as Liverpool has a stereotypical image it's easy pickings to attack.

Apparently the Saturday night was a different matter and the jabs at the audience really split the room, which didn't recover.

It just felt to me like he should've stopped touring it a few months ago.  Speaking about your fragile mental health to a bunch of pissed-up people on a Saturday night is bound to get you down eventually.

I think I was at the Liverpool one he was talking about, if it was the one earlier in the summer. I loved it for what it's worth. Some of his brexit stuff didn't really land for some reason early on and he (seemingly) threw the routine away and did his own thing. He spent a good half an hour or so talking about people mistakenly turning up thinking they were seeing the Eagles (they were on next door) and carried it on as people left. He seemed to actually be enjoying just taking the piss. I was going to try and get tickets outside for Friday or Saturday last week to see the show proper in its entirety, but am glad I didn't if it just ended up the same.

Only explanation I can think of is that, as someone said earlier, his increase in profile has brought in a few fans that he probably doesn't really want or need at his shows.

bigfatheart

I mentioned it in the 'What Stand-Up Have You Seen Lately' thread at the time, but I saw him in Sheffield around June or so, and there were a couple of spiky moments without there being any major meltdown. The worst of it was some jeb-end shouting 'Bean' during the most serious and confessional bit, which prompted a (well-received) tirade against that person. Otherwise, he seemed to enjoy himself and to be in a cheerful and playful mood.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Spode on December 03, 2019, 09:03:39 PM
I think I was at the Liverpool one he was talking about, if it was the one earlier in the summer. I loved it for what it's worth. Some of his brexit stuff didn't really land for some reason early on and he (seemingly) threw the routine away and did his own thing. He spent a good half an hour or so talking about people mistakenly turning up thinking they were seeing the Eagles (they were on next door) and carried it on as people left. He seemed to actually be enjoying just taking the piss. I was going to try and get tickets outside for Friday or Saturday last week to see the show proper in its entirety, but am glad I didn't if it just ended up the same.

Only explanation I can think of is that, as someone said earlier, his increase in profile has brought in a few fans that he probably doesn't really want or need at his shows.

The Friday @ Epstein was the show proper. He did have a few pops at the audience but it was all taken as intended.  He actually dealt with a dog-whistling & whooping dickhead in a really smart way by not talking to him directly and instead talking to the audience about him & so the jeers and claps embarrassed him into silence for the 2nd half.

The next night seemed like the perfect storm - preconceptions about the place, then playing there on a Saturday night to a largely pissed-up crowd many of whom have come looking for the "weird one who sits on the end" the saw on a panel show.

Hat FM

i actually recall seeing him about 5 years ago at a tiny laugh out london festival gig in angel. he was on before Kathryn Ryan and half way through his set had a look in his eye and decided that we were all there to see Ryan. this led to him completely going off script for the rest of the gig. It was still really funny though not as good as the previous year when he didn't go off script. This one might have been the third hour he did?

Blinder Data

Long may Acaster's antagonistic behaviour towards the audience continue, as long as it leads to him shedding all the casual and "wahey lads" fans so that I can finally afford a ticket for him in an appropriately-sized venue among well-behaved spectators.

non capisco

I'm new to Acaster beyind his Buxton episode and haven't delved into his standup yet but started listening to the 'Classic Scrapes' YouTube playlist yesterday. Fucking hell, absolutely howling at some of that, brilliant stuff that not even the mediocre interjections of Josh Widdecombe can sully. "Classic Alistair." Definitely going to give these Netflix specials a go now.

DrGreggles

Quote from: non capisco on December 04, 2019, 07:22:02 PM
Definitely going to give these Netflix specials a go now.

You definitely should. They're really fucking good.

Hat FM

Quote from: non capisco on December 04, 2019, 07:22:02 PM
I'm new to Acaster beyind his Buxton episode and haven't delved into his standup yet but started listening to the 'Classic Scrapes' YouTube playlist yesterday. Fucking hell, absolutely howling at some of that, brilliant stuff that not even the mediocre interjections of Josh Widdecombe can sully. "Classic Alistair." Definitely going to give these Netflix specials a go now.

so jealous that you're fresh to these. what a treat.

jobotic

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 04, 2019, 07:38:35 PM
You definitely should. They're really fucking good.

Yeah you should, they're great. I'll probably never see him live but really enjoyed them.

Utter Shit

Ah man they are so good - the Alistair one is definitely my favourite, but there are so many classics. The one where he sees Mr. Eko from Lost in a restaurant is another gem.

olliebean

Think I'm going to watch them again over Christmas.

chocky909

Quote from: MigraineBoy on December 03, 2019, 06:25:14 AM
Is he taping at EartH again? 
I thought it was just this in March:
https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2019/01/30/42180/james_acaster_records_another_special

Yeah. He added two dates at EartH in December to rerecord Cold Lasagne. Assuming he wasn't happy with first shows...

MigraineBoy

Quote from: chocky909 on December 05, 2019, 08:41:01 PM
Yeah. He added two dates at EartH in December to rerecord Cold Lasagne. Assuming he wasn't happy with first shows...

Ah. As discussed up there 👆 I didn't realise Cold Lasagne had been (or was due to be) filmed.  I just knew they'd billed that March recording as stuff he had that hadn't made the tour show.

Utter Shit

Acaster's recent stand-up ills are touched on a little in the Christmas edition of Off Menu. He acknowledges that his shows haven't been going well recently but the discussion is very light and Gamble and guest Joe Lycett don't seem like they are treating it seriously, so hopefully it's not too big an issue.

boxmatt

The James Acaster episode of Rich Wilson's podcast (Insane in the Men Brain) discusses mental health issues and the stresses of touring. I particularly enjoyed the moment with Rob Beckett mentioned as you would think they are very different comics, yet are going through very similar issues (same size theatres & mixed audiences etc.)

https://play.acast.com/s/insaneinthemenbrain/6278c04d-1d6d-4cc7-a8af-0fe7d3a8374f

Quote from: boxmatt on January 14, 2020, 12:25:45 PM
The James Acaster episode of Rich Wilson's podcast (Insane in the Men Brain) discusses mental health issues and the stresses of touring. I particularly enjoyed the moment with Rob Beckett mentioned as you would think they are very different comics, yet are going through very similar issues (same size theatres & mixed audiences etc.)

https://play.acast.com/s/insaneinthemenbrain/6278c04d-1d6d-4cc7-a8af-0fe7d3a8374f

Thanks for sharing that. A really good listen, especially the second half which addresses some of the stuff I said in the Comics derailed by cushy TV gigs thread.

And I don't care for Rob Beckett's work but he comes out of that short anecdote sounding like a good egg.

peanutbutter

Started watching his Netflix shows a bit ago there, super late on the bandwagon here but he's definitely the most excited I've been by a newer standup from this side of the Atlantic in a fair while.

The only significant weakness I can see is that his attempts to make the whole show congeal together don't really work, there's strong endings but... I dunno, there's a pretty fucking challenging mix of Harry Hill levels of surrealism and narrative driven stuff. Kind of feels like it's all tantalisingly close to making an outright top tier of all time show, and maybe he still will!

Would be interested in hearing some especially good interview with him about what he's aiming for with his shows; I see a few are linked by people here, but I don't know any of the podcasts so I don't really know which is a good one to pick out so if I anyone could suggest a specific one.

MigraineBoy

Probably the Comedians Comedian appearance. A lot of the others Buxton, RHLSTP etc may touch on some points but the most nuts-and-bolts talk is CC.

alan nagsworth

Copped "Repertoire" last night and enjoyed it a great deal. Looking forward to watching the rest.

What I actually came here to mention though is how hilarious I find the response to new comedy on here sometimes. This esteemed comedy discussion forum where a fair whack of responses are "watched 5 seconds of it, couldn't get into it" or "that trailer wasn't funny, someone should execute this guy point blank gun to the face."

lankyguy95

I still can't quite get into him. I've tried a few times and failed, including one of the Repertoire shows. He's clearly got a great handle on what he does but I just don't find him as funny as lots of other people seem to.

I might just blast through every show of his on Netflix and give up if that doesn't work.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: lankyguy95 on January 20, 2020, 12:42:22 AM
I still can't quite get into him. I've tried a few times and failed, including one of the Repertoire shows. He's clearly got a great handle on what he does but I just don't find him as funny as lots of other people seem to.

I might just blast through every show of his on Netflix and give up if that doesn't work.

Is it the absurd whimsy? That's what put me off for a while, but his new show abandons the silly concepts and uses his clear writing and delivery strengths for personal stories. His 'Classic Scrapes' will give you a taste of that.