Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:13:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

James Acaster

Started by notjosh, March 26, 2018, 05:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lankyguy95

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 21, 2020, 01:46:04 PM
Is it the absurd whimsy? That's what put me off for a while, but his new show abandons the silly concepts and uses his clear writing and delivery strengths for personal stories. His 'Classic Scrapes' will give you a taste of that.
Not really, I'm absolutely fine with whimsy. It's odd, I really can't quite explain why I can't get into him. I enjoy watching him, I just don't laugh that much.

Wet Blanket

I've watched and enjoyed his Netflix specials and Cold Lasagne... but must admit it's brain smile material for me rather than laugh out loud. But his show's are packed with unusual and insightful metaphors and leaps in logic. I haven't read his books but I bet they're well written.

JumpAction

A friend of mine was talking about how funny James Acaster was but I'm not sure where to start. Any recommendations?

phantom_power

Quote from: JumpAction on January 21, 2020, 03:46:57 PM
A friend of mine was talking about how funny James Acaster was but I'm not sure where to start. Any recommendations?

Repertoire on Netflix

peanutbutter

Quote from: lankyguy95 on January 20, 2020, 12:42:22 AM
I might just blast through every show of his on Netflix and give up if that doesn't work.
That done it for me (1-3, haven't seen 4 actually). There's the weird feeling the whole time that he's absolutely capable of something a bit better than what he's doing, almost as if it's his own feelings coming out in the performances and I kind of just needed to get over that sense of expectation.

I wonder how I'll feel about him when it feels like he's settled or past his peak, think part of the appeal right now is that, on the basis of those shows, he's still figuring out what works best for him. Kinda like how 90s and 41st best standup are my favourite Stewart Lee ones even if I think one or two more recent ones are overall better shows, or why section.80 is this super exciting album but Damn is a underwhelming slog.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Wet Blanket on January 21, 2020, 03:40:49 PM
I've watched and enjoyed his Netflix specials and Cold Lasagne... but must admit it's brain smile material for me rather than laugh out loud.
Yeah that's a good summary of what I feel as well.

JumpAction

Thanks for the heads up, phantom_power.