Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:22:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

James Acaster

Started by notjosh, March 26, 2018, 05:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rasta-spouse

Nish Kumar bases his act on John Oliver, right. And John Oliver's copped his persona from David Baddiel. So, the cool thing is, with Kumar's delivery you get what's known in the industry as an "accidental Baddiel".

But, yeah, he has a really punchable voice.

I'm definitely stuck on my own on an island waving at the Acaster boat go by.

The first special is the most alienating, I wouldn't recommend it as a starting point for non-fans of the guy. Go with stand-up show #2 or#3 for something solid.

Hat FM

apparently his Edinburgh show this year is called 'Cold Lasagne hate myself 1999' so thats cool...

Norton Canes

Red > Green

Yellow report to follow

phantom_power

I was a sceptic as he just seemed like another Mock the Week comedian to me, based on looks alone, and I think an appearance on 8OOTC or something so I was reluctant to watch this. I gave it a go though after hearing praise all over the place. I was won over pretty quickly though and loved all 4 specials. I do think he has a unique comic voice, though it is reminiscent of others (Lee, Izzard and others).

It is interesting how his delivery and style changes between when he does 5 minutes spots and when he does his own shows. He is a lot more straightforward and "normal" doing quick spots and the idiosyncrasies come out more in the long form shows

cakeinmilk

Quote from: Hat FM on April 06, 2018, 10:44:26 AM
apparently his Edinburgh show this year is called 'Cold Lasagne hate myself 1999' so thats cool...

I've just seen a reasonably complete preview of this at the Underbelly thing on the Southbank. It's nothing short of amazing. Can see why he's tied the previous Netflix'd shows up together as this marks a whole new Acaster.

If you get the opportunity, definitely see it.

Hat FM

Quote from: cakeinmilk on May 09, 2018, 11:32:18 PM
I've just seen a reasonably complete preview of this at the Underbelly thing on the Southbank. It's nothing short of amazing. Can see why he's tied the previous Netflix'd shows up together as this marks a whole new Acaster.

If you get the opportunity, definitely see it.

i saw him a few weeks ago in Greenwich. Thought the stuff about man united's mascot was pretty funny. i normally try to check him out at lolfest in july as he normally has his edinburgh set down by then.

Replies From View

My first encounter with Acaster was the RHLSTP interview.  I can recommend that if you haven't seen it yet.  I can't really be doing with any of the panel shows; I always feel they're not so much a way to showcase people's talents as to highlight how big everyone's egos are.

imitationleather

I'm going to be in London when James Acaster does a performance of his new show at the Museum of Comedy on 30th May. Of course, it's sold out. Anyone got a spare ticket? Blowjobs will be provided if required.

SteveDave

I saw "Cold Lasagne Hate Myself 1999" last night and I would advise people to go and see it. His Brexit and England football supporters stuff was a highlight as well as the relationship stuff in the second half.

Strangely the "lads" with Richard Spencer haircuts on the row behind us were silent throughout. Not a peep.

DrGreggles

Just realised that my ticket to see him in Cambridge on the 22nd November is for 2019.

Fuck. Was looking forward to that.
Now looking very forward to that.

SteveDave

We'll all be dead by then.

Tony Yeboah

I think he's great. Brian Logan thinks he's great. Lots of people in the comments section of this review disagree https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2018/oct/31/james-acaster-cold-lasagne-hate-myself-1999-review

rasta-spouse

Wow, just reading those Guardian comments. That's quite a chunk of debate there.... "a genius re-defines the art form" etc.

I get the feeling that Acaster just gets better and better with each show. So can't wait to see this one. He does seem to be one of the few young guys really working on stand-up as a real thing and not as a means to buy a few minutes on tv. Not sure if he's re-defining the art form yet, I mean Lee only became great in his late thirties or early fourties.

Incidentally I've always found it weird that in his monthly newsletters Lee usually bigs up Nish Kumar as the next great thing in stand-up, and never gives Acaster a mention.

SteveDave

I've also never been to a stand up show where the comedian remains onstage for the whole thing. As people came in, interval and all.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm seeing him in two weeks time but it's billed as a work in progress, has that been the case with his other dates?

SteveDave

This London run is his 2018 show so I presume that you're going to see the first rumblings of his 2019 show?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: SteveDave on November 01, 2018, 02:31:48 PM
This London run is his 2018 show so I presume that you're going to see the first rumblings of his 2019 show?

Ah, that would make sense, and I certainly hope it is the case.

SteveDave

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 01, 2018, 06:14:09 PM
Ah, that would make sense, and I certainly hope it is the case.

It'll be interesting to see if he continues doing the "personal" stuff that "Cold Lasagne Hate Myself 1999" has. If I wasn't as busy as a bee fucking four separate beavers in November I would try and see it too.

DrGreggles

Quote from: SteveDave on November 02, 2018, 08:44:18 AM
It'll be interesting to see if he continues doing the "personal" stuff that "Cold Lasagne Hate Myself 1999" has. If I wasn't as busy as a bee fucking four separate beavers in November I would try and see it too.

That's apparently what he's touring next year. According to the blurb anyway.

Quote from: rasta-spouse on November 01, 2018, 11:56:09 AM
Incidentally I've always found it weird that in his monthly newsletters Lee usually bigs up Nish Kumar as the next great thing in stand-up, and never gives Acaster a mention.

I know that Stewart Lee the person sees Acaster's shows every year, but Stewart Lee the comedian would probably stop short of recommending an Xfm/Mock the Week type. I'm sure Stewart Lee the comedian has asked how an act with a much lower profile than him has made a series of Netflix specials (was that in Content Provider? I can't remember).

The more I see Acaster, the more I'm convinced he's the very best we have.

Utter Shit

What makes me love Acaster is that he's so gloriously unpredictable, his shows (and indeed his TV appearances) veer all over the place making it properly exciting to watch him because you really have no idea where it's going from one moment to the next. Kevin Bridges probably makes me laugh even more than him, but Acaster is the most inventive by far and hilarious with it.

Clownbaby

I'm surprised anyone would think Nish Kumar is the next big thing in stand up. I mean he's okay but I always forget about him until he's on something.

studpuppet

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on November 02, 2018, 09:12:10 AM
I know that Stewart Lee the person sees Acaster's shows every year, but Stewart Lee the comedian would probably stop short of recommending an Xfm/Mock the Week type. I'm sure Stewart Lee the comedian has asked how an act with a much lower profile than him has made a series of Netflix specials (was that in Content Provider? I can't remember).

To channel my mum for a second, he's a lovely boy but he needs to change the company he keeps. I originally wrote him off as an 'Avalon hack'*; he ticks all the boxes (Mock The Week, Live At The Apollo, mate of Josh Widdicombe, that episode in New York with Ed Gamble). But I loved Repertoire - I watched the first one again last night and one of the things I admired about it was that apart from a couple of minor expletives I could have shown it to my pre-teen kids.

*Yes I know he isn't managed by them.

c

Quote from: rasta-spouse on November 01, 2018, 11:56:09 AM
Wow, just reading those Guardian comments. That's quite a chunk of debate there.... "a genius re-defines the art form" etc.

I notice that Logan didn't actually use the word 'genius' in his review - so it seems the subs put it in the headline. I suspect it's the G word that's irked people. I love Acaster, but I'm not sure I'd go that far. (Not yet.)

Interesting about S Lee - you have to wonder if JA is too close for comfort, in that nobody could sensibly accuse him of ripping SL off, but at the same time, he's in his turf and doing it wonderfully. That would make most people nervous. & I think that would make 99% of creative people a bit itchy.

DrGreggles

Been listening to his Classic Scrapes audiobook.
Some wonderful stuff in there.

Obel

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on November 02, 2018, 09:12:10 AM

I think he's by a mile the best British comedian working right now. Though you can see his influences I think he's very much developed a unique voice of his own.

Utter Shit

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 02, 2018, 10:29:53 AM
Been listening to his Classic Scrapes audiobook.
Some wonderful stuff in there.

I love how unprofessional his reading is, he puts weird emphasis (em-FAR-sis) on words and seems constantly surprised by his own stories to the point that he sounds like he's trying not to laugh. Great stuff.

Soup

Quote from: Obel on November 02, 2018, 10:32:53 AM
I think he's by a mile the best British comedian working right now. Though you can see his influences I think he's very much developed a unique voice of his own.

I saw Acaster on a bill at Union Chapel a few months back, with Kitson compering. Acaster improved a joke early on that didn't land and then riffed on how we'd have loved it if Kitson had said it, and then riffed on "coming for Kitson's crown" for a bit. I think it might prove prophetic, if he keeps improving. It's quite nice to see somebody who clearly really loves stand up as a form and thinks deeply about it. And he manages to innovate within that and yet isn't crotchetty elder a la Lee or weirdo recluse like Kitson. I sort of like that he hangs out with yer Widdecombes of the world and doesn't come off particularly artiste-y, it makes his talent more unexpected.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Obel on November 02, 2018, 10:32:53 AM

I don't get this at all and I've seen it said about him a lot, what is it about his comedy that makes it so unique? See also people calling him a genius. I get that people like him a lot, but how does 'genius' and 'unique voice' apply? And when you say the best British comedian working I take it you just mean his peers like yer Widdicombes, Richardsons, Becketts and the like? That's the only bit I can actually understand as most of those comics are fucking shit. Or do you mean he's better than people like Stewart Lee and Frank Skinner by a mile  too?