Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:10:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

James Acaster

Started by notjosh, March 26, 2018, 05:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

I'd say his uniqueness comes from the fact that he's so unpredictable as mentioned above. Unlike most comics you can't really pigeonhole him - he does observational stuff, he does silly stuff, I've seen him use props in his shows, he has a touch of Lee Evans' physical comedy about his work. On top of that he seems to have now added a more personal touch which wasn't evident in his previous shows. And on top of THAT, he's really fucking good at all of them.

Genius is a bit of a nebulous term - if it relates to comedy at all I'd argue that it's in the comic's speed of thought rather than how funny they are, which to me applies more to people like Skinner and Lee Mack, but if you come at it from a "fuck, I could NEVER come up with something like that" perspective then it definitely fits the bill for Acaster.

Wet Blanket

It's interesting to see a comedian's comedian with genuine designs on the mainstream. Like a few of the other posters I'd half written him off as a panel show comic, and it's brought home just how much there's a schism at the moment between 'respectable' stand-ups and the TV ones. If he manages to break through without compromising himself he might open the doors for edgier and more interesting faces on the telly.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Wet Blanket on November 02, 2018, 11:19:08 AM
It's interesting to see a comedian's comedian with genuine designs on the mainstream. Like a few of the other posters I'd half written him off as a panel show comic, and it's brought home just how much there's a schism at the moment between 'respectable' stand-ups and the TV ones. If he manages to break through without compromising himself he might open the doors for edgier and more interesting faces on the telly.

If thats the case, why are his panel show appearances generally apologized for with a "ah but that's not what he's really like, hes much better at standup"? Why isn't he applying his uniqueness and genius on panel shows too? I don't know about mainstream acceptance, the last time he was HIGNFY he absolutely died on his arse, rambling unfunny nonsense which the audience didn't laugh at, I actually felt a bit bad for him. I thought he was going to spoil Taskmaster for me but he hasn't been too annoying but I'm still not seeing the unpredictability or anything like that. He just seems like a bog standard comedian, just the rest of his peers, I'm really not seeing anything different or monumental.

Soup

You don't have to see anything. I think people have said more than enough about what they like about him. It's okay if you don't agree.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 02, 2018, 11:29:19 AM
If thats the case, why are his panel show appearances generally apologized for with a "ah but that's not what he's really like, hes much better at standup"? Why isn't he applying his uniqueness and genius on panel shows too? I don't know about mainstream acceptance, the last time he was HIGNFY he absolutely died on his arse, rambling unfunny nonsense which the audience didn't laugh at, I actually felt a bit bad for him. I thought he was going to spoil Taskmaster for me but he hasn't been too annoying but I'm still not seeing the unpredictability or anything like that. He just seems like a bog standard comedian, just the rest of his peers, I'm really not seeing anything different or monumental.

Well to be honest I don't know much about him, other than what I've seen of him on Taskmaster and RHLSTP, but he's talked about in the same breath as Kitson and Lee and it's unusual for a comic of that sort to be prepared to play the game and do his turns on the panel shows, whether or not he's much cop on them.

It could go either way, he could just as well sell right out and become one of those "yeah but honestly his early stuff" kind of acts, like Al Murray.

Utter Shit

If thats the case, why are his panel show appearances generally apologized for with a "ah but that's not what he's really like, hes much better at standup"? Why isn't he applying his uniqueness and genius on panel shows too?

I think generally people think he does do that, certainly on Mock The Week people on here have spoken about him being a breath of fresh air, and that show is pretty much loathed across the board.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Soup on November 02, 2018, 11:32:00 AM
You don't have to see anything. I think people have said more than enough about what they like about him. It's okay if you don't agree.

Oh I'm well aware of that, I'm just inquiring as to why others use superlatives like genius, unpredictable and unique. to describe him other than saying he's really good or he's my favourite, it's the OTT praise I don't get. And when I don't get things, I like to ask questions to people who do get it to see if I can understand better where they're coming from. That's why replies from people like Utter Shit are helpful and replies like yours are pointless because I've offended you by not liking something you love. If you can just get over that feeling we might be able to have a conversation. This is a forum for discussing comedy, after all.

Again, its not that I hate him, he is better than your Widdicombes and Becketts, its the OTT praise and the best British genius evar! type stuff that I don't get.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 02, 2018, 11:37:15 AM
I think generally people think he does do that, certainly on Mock The Week people on here have spoken about him being a breath of fresh air, and that show is pretty much loathed across the board.

Yeah I think that may be the one panel show I havent seen him on as its always been a bit of a shitshow so I've never watched it.

ETA Or maybe it's a confidence thing, now he's gaining confidence as a standup hes doing his own stuff on panel shows these days rather than trying to do 'panel show' type material which he doesnt seem to be great at?

Utter Shit

Yeah possibly, certainly in his early MTW appearances he was shoe-horning in bits of his stand-up set whereas now he has a persona which sort of exists outside the intended format, a little like Milton Jones but more engaged with the rest of the panel, more meta.

Soup

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 02, 2018, 11:40:42 AM

Oh I'm well aware of that, I'm just inquiring as to why others use superlatives like genius, unpredictable and unique. to describe him other than saying he's really good or he's my favourite, it's the OTT praise I don't get. And when I don't get things, I like to ask questions to people who do get it to see if I can understand better where they're coming from. That's why replies from people like Utter Shit are helpful and replies like yours are pointless because I've offended you by not liking something you love. If you can just get over that feeling we might be able to have a conversation.

I'm not offended, I just thought you were being a bit truculent by basically asking the "but why" question repeatedly. I was probably a bit quick to get so curt though, so I'm sorry.

Still, I do think you're mischaracterising some of the praise here. I'm not sure anyone here's said he's a genius (?), more that he's an exciting and interesting comedian, the best of his generation, and if he continues to improve the way he has in the past few years he maybe could be BEST BRITISH EVAR or whatever it is we're meant to be heaping on him

I think Utter Shit's nailed what it is that makes him interesting and, yes, unique, and what makes him a thrilling stand up to watch. His mind doesn't work like any other comedian's, he's very unpredictable and adventurous as a stand up and, more often than not, his strangeness pays off.

As for panel shows, I'm not particularly arsed. I'm not a big fan and haven't seen Acaster on any (aside from Taskmaster, which isn't really a panel show), and regardless, one can be an excellent stand up who doesn't shine on panel shows and vice versa. If you want to understand what people like about him, look to his stand up rather than his appearances on HIGNFY or whatever.

Utter Shit

Have I Got News For You probably doesn't suit someone like Acaster as (particularly with Merton already installed as the outlier who bursts the bubble when it gets too serious or overtly political) if he comes on and ignores the political aspect of the show he's likely to end up looking like a bit of a twat. For all their faults, shows like Mock The Week and 8OO10C are at least loose enough to allow someone like him to just come on and try to be funny without worrying too much about sticking to set topics.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 02, 2018, 11:40:42 AM
Again, its not that I hate him, he is better than your Widdicombes and Becketts, its the OTT praise and the best British genius evar! type stuff that I don't get.

I'm with you BeardFaceMan and I like Acaster an awful lot, and he certainly has potential, but for me he's nowhere near the very best of British stand up right now, people like Joseph Morpurgo, Bridget Christie, Kitson, Munnery and Lee are far far better.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: rasta-spouse on November 01, 2018, 11:56:09 AM
Incidentally I've always found it weird that in his monthly newsletters Lee usually bigs up Nish Kumar as the next great thing in stand-up, and never gives Acaster a mention.

In this interview he says Acaster is better than any of the American stand-ups on Netflix, which isn't true but I think that counts as a sincere endorsement: http://www.culturenorthernireland.org/features/performing-arts/stewart-lee-ive-laughed-more-kevin-mcaleer-live-anyone-else-ever

DrGreggles

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 02, 2018, 01:25:27 PM
In this interview he says Acaster is better than any of the American stand-ups on Netflix, which isn't true but I think that counts as a sincere endorsement: http://www.culturenorthernireland.org/features/performing-arts/stewart-lee-ive-laughed-more-kevin-mcaleer-live-anyone-else-ever

Yup

up_the_hampipe

YUUUUUUP

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Soup on November 02, 2018, 12:07:54 PM
...he maybe could be BEST BRITISH EVAR or whatever it is we're meant to be heaping on him .

the best of his generation,

he's an exciting and interesting comedian

Quote from: Soup
somebody who clearly really loves stand up as a form and thinks deeply about it.

he manages to innovate

"coming for Kitson's crown" for a bit. I think it might prove prophetic

And that's just from you in two posts. Its not what I think youre meant to be heaping on him, its what youre actually heaping on him.

Soup

Yes, to reiterate I do think he's the best of his generation, I do think he's exciting and interesting, I do think he's an innovative stand up, I do think that if he continues to develop as a comedian he could be on a level of the Kitsons of the world. I have not said he's a genius or the best ever British stand up. You clearly are now being antagonistic for fun so... whatever, have fun.

Obel

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 02, 2018, 11:11:11 AM
I don't get this at all and I've seen it said about him a lot, what is it about his comedy that makes it so unique? See also people calling him a genius. I get that people like him a lot, but how does 'genius' and 'unique voice' apply? And when you say the best British comedian working I take it you just mean his peers like yer Widdicombes, Richardsons, Becketts and the like? That's the only bit I can actually understand as most of those comics are fucking shit. Or do you mean he's better than people like Stewart Lee and Frank Skinner by a mile  too?

Utter Shit has set it straight already really but I only just saw your response so thought I would reply. For me to be considered one of the best (in my eyes of course) it just has to keep me guessing and keep me laughing. You bringing up Stewart Lee is interesting, because I do like Stewart Lee a great deal and make an effort to see him whenever he's in town. Lee is very inventive with the structure of stand up comedy, his shows are meticulous and they're a wonder to behold really, but he's not really THAT funny. He definitely makes me laugh, but not as much as other comedians.
In my mind you could definitely make a couple of categories for comedians,those that are straight forwardly funny and those that treat it as an art form. For me Acaster bridges that divide kind of perfectly. His Netflix specials this year toyed with the artform, not in such depth as Lee, but he had a rough throughline tying the shows together, ridiculous as it was. Great callbacks that referenced the other specials. I know it isn't grandiose but he did enough with the format for it to be interesting while also peppering in some great jokes. He keeps things mixed up with little segments like the podcast or the do's and don'ts of passport photography, which are funny and never outstay their welcome. Not every joke lands, but for me many of them do. He makes me laugh out loud repeatedly when watching it on a TV, which honestly doesn't happen a lot with standup, for me I find I'm much more generous about laughing when I'm caught up in the energy of a live performance.
Also his stuff to date has been light subject matter wise, which I really appreciate. There's a lot of comedy about that deals with issues and politics and dark subject matter, which is great and all but it's rare that somebody can craft a set that is mostly nonsense but includes actual strong jokes and doesn't lean on him repeatedly telling the audience he has "hilarious story" that "actually happened" ala Greg Davies.

Anyway. I'm only speaking for myself but I have a lot of love for Acaster. I think the comedy scene is weak right now in general in the UK, but for me he stands head and shoulders above it. By the sound of it his new show is on an even higher plane so I'm looking forward to it (in a year!).

Also with regards to my comment about UK comedy being weak, I am willing to be recommended good current stuff because I might be out of the loop and would like to be proven wrong.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Soup on November 02, 2018, 03:30:59 PM
Yes, to reiterate I do think he's the best of his generation, I do think he's exciting and interesting, I do think he's an innovative stand up, I do think that if he continues to develop as a comedian he could be on a level of the Kitsons of the world. I have not said he's a genius or the best ever British stand up. You clearly are now being antagonistic for fun so... whatever, have fun.

Oh you mean I'm using your own words against you? How awful of me, I'll stop.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Obel on November 02, 2018, 03:37:38 PM
Utter Shit has set it straight already really but I only just saw your response so thought I would reply. For me to be considered one of the best (in my eyes of course) it just has to keep me guessing and keep me laughing. You bringing up Stewart Lee is interesting, because I do like Stewart Lee a great deal and make an effort to see him whenever he's in town. Lee is very inventive with the structure of stand up comedy, his shows are meticulous and they're a wonder to behold really, but he's not really THAT funny. He definitely makes me laugh, but not as much as other comedians.
In my mind you could definitely make a couple of categories for comedians,those that are straight forwardly funny and those that treat it as an art form. For me Acaster bridges that divide kind of perfectly. His Netflix specials this year toyed with the artform, not in such depth as Lee, but he had a rough throughline tying the shows together, ridiculous as it was. Great callbacks that referenced the other specials. I know it isn't grandiose but he did enough with the format for it to be interesting while also peppering in some great jokes. He keeps things mixed up with little segments like the podcast or the do's and don'ts of passport photography, which are funny and never outstay their welcome. Not every joke lands, but for me many of them do. He makes me laugh out loud repeatedly when watching it on a TV, which honestly doesn't happen a lot with standup, for me I find I'm much more generous about laughing when I'm caught up in the energy of a live performance.
Also his stuff to date has been light subject matter wise, which I really appreciate. There's a lot of comedy about that deals with issues and politics and dark subject matter, which is great and all but it's rare that somebody can craft a set that is mostly nonsense but includes actual strong jokes and doesn't lean on him repeatedly telling the audience he has "hilarious story" that "actually happened" ala Greg Davies.

Anyway. I'm only speaking for myself but I have a lot of love for Acaster. I think the comedy scene is weak right now in general in the UK, but for me he stands head and shoulders above it. By the sound of it his new show is on an even higher plane so I'm looking forward to it (in a year!).

Also with regards to my comment about UK comedy being weak, I am willing to be recommended good current stuff because I might be out of the loop and would like to be proven wrong.

Fair enough, thanks for the answer. I only brought up Stewart Lee as he's someone that gets mentioned a lot in the same breath as Acaster. But then I'm not a fan of Lee either so I do't know if the comparison is apt, or even what the comparison is. I was just going for an older, more established comedian.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Obel on November 02, 2018, 03:37:38 PM

I think it's in rude health, over the past 12 months I've seen and loved Michael Brunstrom, Bridget Christie, Marcel Lucont, Garrett Millerick, Jordan Brookes, Rob Kemp, Joseph Morpurgo and there's a sod load I've missed, whilst a lot of the acts on NextUp are bloody good too.

And on the "Not actually English but based over here" front there's Tony Law, Olga Koch, Steen Raskopoulos and a good few more who are really fantastic.

Queneau

I don't think his panel show appearances are apologised for. I can't recall the HIGNFY episode you are talking of but I must have seen it and would have surely remembered him dying. What I would say in response to that is the audience laugh at a lot of utter tripe - the show has very little to offer, particularly when compared to its former self.  It doesn't mean it was awful just because they didn't laugh - perhaps just pitched to the wrong crowd.

Also, I don't think the unpredictability was in reference to his Taskmaster performance but his standup. You are having certain expectations in relation to him ruining Taskmaster but it doesn't sound like you know his work too well (I could be wrong on that).

Queneau

olliebean

Which American stand-ups' Netflix shows would you recommend? Because I've only watched a fairly limited subset, but I don't think I've seen any that I'd place above Acaster's.

chveik

Quote from: olliebean on November 02, 2018, 05:47:52 PM
Which American stand-ups' Netflix shows would you recommend? Because I've only watched a fairly limited subset, but I don't think I've seen any that I'd place above Acaster's.

I've enjoyed Maria Bamford's specials, but if you're aware of her comedy albums they're not really necessary.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: olliebean on November 02, 2018, 05:47:52 PM

Bo Burnham, Bill Burr, Norm Macdonald, John Mulaney, Dave Chappelle. Hell, check out Adam Sandler's new special (more fun show, not a better comic). These are all American stand ups on Netflix that I would say are funnier and more enjoyable than Acaster. I say that as a fan of Acaster's work, he's a great writer, as are a lot of British comics.

olliebean

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 02, 2018, 06:39:52 PM
Bo Burnham, Bill Burr, Norm Macdonald, John Mulaney, Dave Chappelle. Hell, check out Adam Sandler's new special (more fun show, not a better comic). These are all American stand ups on Netflix that I would say are funnier and more enjoyable than Acaster. I say that as a fan of Acaster's work, he's a great writer, as are a lot of British comics.

Saw Bo Burnham's, it was OK and I enjoyed it but he somewhat rubs me up the wrong way, and I definitely enjoyed Acaster's more. Not seen the rest of those, I'll give them a look - but I fucking hate Adam Sandler (except sometimes as an actor in other people's films), so I think I'll give that one a miss.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: olliebean on November 02, 2018, 08:39:12 PM
Saw Bo Burnham's, it was OK and I enjoyed it but he somewhat rubs me up the wrong way, and I definitely enjoyed Acaster's more. Not seen the rest of those, I'll give them a look - but I fucking hate Adam Sandler (except sometimes as an actor in other people's films), so I think I'll give that one a miss.

I urge you to give it a try. If you can tolerate him as an actor, you will probably end up warming to him in the special.

olliebean

I mean, I've seen him do bits of stand-up and other stuff as himself on other things and frankly couldn't tolerate him and can't imagine myself warming to him. Is this significantly different from anything he's done in the past?

Scrapey Fish

Quote from: Wet Blanket on November 02, 2018, 11:35:44 AM
Well to be honest I don't know much about him, other than what I've seen of him on Taskmaster and RHLSTP, but he's talked about in the same breath as Kitson and Lee and it's unusual for a comic of that sort to be prepared to play the game and do his turns on the panel shows, whether or not he's much cop on them.

It could go either way, he could just as well sell right out and become one of those "yeah but honestly his early stuff" kind of acts, like Al Murray.

I think I'm right in saying that Lee and Kitson both "played the game" when they were the age that Acaster is now. Though admittedly it is harder to imagine Acaster going down such an esoteric route