Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:41:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ozymandias: Some Bad News

Started by Serge, March 26, 2018, 09:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirty Boy

Sorry to hear you've been given such awful news. Look after yourself man.

can i have your record collection?

Genevieve

A couple of days ago I heard a cuckoo in the woodland nearby, he kept going all day but seems to have gone wandering now.  They're pretty nasty but it's nice to hear one, we don't usually get them visiting.  Then a wood pigeon started hooting along.

Male cuckoo https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s6y1h
Female cuckoo http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01sbz27
The Bonny Cuckoo https://youtu.be/2ENASCPZIKw

Serge

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on April 20, 2018, 01:17:22 PM
As I'm sure this is what you're really worrying about, hopefully one of those ghost / bigfoot hunting shows finally comes to a conclusion, one way or the other, soon.

Heh, I would love to see one advertising itself with a big flashy advert saying they've come to a definitive conclusion, no shit, this is THE ONE, and for all of the fans to tune in and the host to say, "Sorry folks, we've been doing this for years, and we can now reveal that there is not a single scrap of evidence for the whole hoo-hah. We've all been wasting our time," and walk away from the camera shaking his head sadly.

Bazooka

Top lad, all the best to you mate.

Serge

Something else I really should mention is that for all the thanks I'm getting for recommendations and pointing people in the direction of great stuff over the years, I really need to say that this has definitely been a two-way street, and I've picked up on so many great records, books, films and TV shows from this forum, generally from clicking on a thread with an intriguing title and wondering, "what's going on in there?" and then being drawn towards some masterpiece or other, so thanks to all of you lot as well!

And the fact that people write properly about this stuff on here can never be overstated - the amount of forums where the level of debate is down to 'yeh I like this album' 'me too it's great, isn't it?' (or even just fucking lists) makes me grateful that a place like CaB exists where people can get as self-indulgent and excitedly carried away as they like, in a way that's more likely to make me want to check stuff out more quickly.

Thanks CaB. ThaB.

Crabwalk

Agh Serge, man. That's pretty much all I can say. I wish you comfort and peace and the occasional hearty laugh.

As Warren Zevon advised, and we should all abide by this: enjoy every sandwich.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Serge on April 20, 2018, 04:50:29 PM
Something else I really should mention is that for all the thanks I'm getting for recommendations and pointing people in the direction of great stuff over the years, I really need to say that this has definitely been a two-way street, and I've picked up on so many great records, books, films and TV shows from this forum, generally from clicking on a thread with an intriguing title and wondering, "what's going on in there?" and then being drawn towards some masterpiece or other, so thanks to all of you lot as well!

And the fact that people write properly about this stuff on here can never be overstated - the amount of forums where the level of debate is down to 'yeh I like this album' 'me too it's great, isn't it?' (or even just fucking lists) makes me grateful that a place like CaB exists where people can get as self-indulgent and excitedly carried away as they like, in a way that's more likely to make me want to check stuff out more quickly.

Thanks CaB. ThaB.
Some of my contributions over the years

"Soon Over Babaluma is alright, s'pose"
"Annexus Quam are the band you should be listening to"
"I don't reckon I would like LCD Soundsystem, are they a poor man's !!! ?"

So, apologies for all that.

pancreas

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 20, 2018, 05:38:55 PM
Some of my contributions over the years

"Soon Over Babaluma is alright, s'pose"
"Annexus Quam are the band you should be listening to"
"I don't reckon I would like LCD Soundsystem, are they a poor man's !!! ?"

So, apologies for all that.

Oh, don't beat yourself up Blodders. I'm sure you must have been insightful once or twice.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pancreas on April 20, 2018, 05:48:22 PM
Oh, don't beat yourself up Blodders. I'm sure you must have been insightful once or twice.

Shut up, pram face.

How's your egg and cress British Rail sandwich?

pancreas

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 20, 2018, 05:49:56 PM
Shut up, pram face.

How's your egg and cress British Rail sandwich?

I'm saving myself for High Table, if you must know.

Harry Badger

I cannot add anything to the many eloquent tributes to your good self other than to echo those who have marvelled at your sang-froid. I would most certainly not be so gracious and philosophical. You're a good man, Serge. Enjoy what's left.

boki

Quote from: pancreas on April 20, 2018, 05:59:46 PM
I'm saving myself for High Table, if you must know.

You're being sacrificed?

Icehaven

Danger Man

Whenever any of us are in a Weatherspoons and see 'mixed grill' on the menu, we'll think of you.

Icehaven will think of you every day.

Cuntbeaks

In a Spoons in Glasgow yesterday.

Manager's Special
Mixed Grill
£4.99

idunnosomename

I keep avoiding this thread because I don't want to say anything insincere because it's my greatest fear

But fuck it: make like Wilko Johnson and embarassingly live on indefinitely. And blast out some great pub rock in a small space. While being bald. It's the CaB way.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 19, 2018, 04:53:38 PM
The way you look the situation straight in the eye and think and write about it so lucidly is some of the bravest shit I've ever seen. You're a person of tremendous character, Serge. I raise my glass to you

Seconded. Or maybe thirded or summat I haven't checked the whole thread what am I yer fucking mum?

Vodka Margarine

Serge, I'll never meet you sadly but you've always come across as the sort of person I'd rather be - paying more attention to a world beyond social media and being a proper enthusiast. My cynical, twitchy, attention deficit nature suggests it's unlikely I'll ever be like that.

NattyDread 2

I've been thinking about you a lot Serge. I hope you're able to enjoy your albums and birdsong all the way.
Wishing you all the best laddie.

iamcoop

Hi Serge.

I've never met you, and we never had any direct contact on here, but some of your considered, informative and witty posts directly influenced me to buy certain books and records that have enhanced my life immeasurably.

Thank you for that.

All my love.

J x

phes

Hi Serge,

Long, long, long time board/s member here. I've been reading your posts since the beginning of Serge, as we know him. Just wanted to say that I will be tickling the cap of my lucky Wren (steady now) in the hope that the birds help bring to you some moments of peace and comfort.

Much love, brother Serge.

Travis B

Just want to add my condolences to everyone elses. I just wish I could write something as articulate as the other posters, but I can't because I'm a fucking moron. You will be sorely missed, your posts were always free of the rancour you see on other boards when a disagreement occurs.

I always looked forward to reading your posts specially in the Books forum. Like all the others I'm staggered by your calmness and bearing in dealing with this awful situation.

Glebe

Quote from: Travis B on April 21, 2018, 04:17:53 PMjust wish I could write something as articulate as the other posters, but I can't because I'm a fucking moron.

That's me, that is!

mothman

Quote from: Serge on April 19, 2018, 07:30:53 PM
But yeah, on the other hand, I won't see Jodie Whittaker as Doctor Who (properly), won't see series 4 of 'Better Call Saul', hear the next LCD Soundsystem album, or the John Grant, come to that. Or spend the last 40 years of my life living in Manchester. Which is a bit of a bugger.

While I'm not sure we can do anything about the LCDS (unless anybody here - even a lurker - knows James Murphy), I gather there are enough people here who work in meeja (or fancy themselves as doing so) who might know somebody works on Dr. Who?

Serge

Honestly, don't anybody put themselves out on my account - I've enough to keep  me going for the foreseeable future, and I have to get used to the fact that there is always going to be something new just out of reach that I'll never see.

I also wanted to thank the people who've posted donations into my Whip-Round since I last mentioned  it - I have to say, this is all going to help enormously, and just not having to worry about cash at a time like this is a weight off the shoulders.

Having....not even good days and bad days, but good bits of days and bad bits of days at the minute. This morning I just couldn't get comfortable at all, which drives you mad, but this afternoon, managed to get a couple of hours of kip and watched a bit of TV. Appetite on its way out again, though still managing three meals a day. Legs a bit wobbly. Seeing the Macmillan Nurse on Tuesday, so we'll see if she recommends any particular course of action.

Cerys

If there are any posters you want to punch in the face while you still can, now is the time to say so.  For them to refuse to make themselves available for punching would be churlish.

doppelkorn

What's the current deal with the whip-round? I never donated last time (honest mistake gov) but I want to keep you in assorted meats for as long as possible. Barry?

Janie Jones

You Paypal money to neilbombd@gmail.com and leave a comment saying Serge, then Neil puts it in Serge's account, thanks doppelkorn

alan nagsworth

I met you once, Serge. I was in Rough Trade and I'd come to see Connan Mockasin. We exchanged a few words but I can be an awkward fucker at times so it was brief. You told me you didn't like Connan. Ever since then I've regarded you as an obnoxious gobshite with nothing but poison coursing through your veins.

Nah.

I got a bit emotional earlier reading your most recent announcement. You really are a wonderful person, you've made so many strangers happy and even though your time is being cut short, the insight, knowledge and warmth of human kindness you have accumulated is more than some fuckers could ever hope to achieve in their lifetimes. You've done humanity proud and we love you very much.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 22, 2018, 10:07:43 PM
I met you once, Serge. I was in Rough Trade and I'd come to see Connan Mockasin. We exchanged a few words but I can be an awkward fucker at times so it was brief. You told me you didn't like Connan. Ever since then I've regarded you as an obnoxious gobshite with nothing but poison coursing through your veins.

Nah.

I got a bit emotional earlier reading your most recent announcement. You really are a wonderful person, you've made so many strangers happy and even though your time is being cut short, the insight, knowledge and warmth of human kindness you have accumulated is more than some fuckers could ever hope to achieve in their lifetimes. You've done humanity proud and we love you very much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTDt5PuETLA