Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:28:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

YES! YES! YES! ... no

Started by Nearly Annually, January 25, 2005, 05:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nearly Annually

Apologies for the capitals, but... YES!

This has been bugging me for well over ten years, and thanks to the internet I have finally got me some closure. But instead of just coming out with it, which would warrant no reply other than "Uh, yeah, well done you tedious chap," I'll make a nominal quiz of it.

See here (only 74k). Three introductory licks from three guitar solos. They're in historical order, and each has plainly been nicked verbatim off its predecessor. (Different keys though, obviously.) Interesting how each is slower than the last, and I think slightly rubbisher. Does this show the natural half-life of any good idea?

Can you name the songs?

I'm so happy I finally got around to researching this, and that I was right. I've never had access to more than one of the solos at a time before.

TraceyQ

Fucking hell, you are so right.

The first one is Five To One by The Doors, natch

the second escapes me for a minute and the third is ,of course, the solo from Alive by Pearl Jam.

Edit: the second one is by Kiss, I know, but I cant think of the track.

Nearly Annually

I feel like I've had six string constipation for ten years, and finally shat.

Yeah, they're easy songs. I'll leave the middle title for any Iain Lees about the place...

Borboski

Isnae it Whiskey In The Jarooooooo.

But don't all solos sound like that? Those just sound like people playing scales to me.

Nearly Annually

Nope, it's She by Kiss.

Yes, arguably, but look what I found on Songfacts...

Quote from: "Someone writing about Five To One"Funny thing about this song. The guitarist for Pearl Jam was interviewed by Guitar magazine. In the interview, the guitarist was asked about the guitar solo for Alive. He made mention of the fact that he "kinda ripped it off Ace Frehley's (Kiss' guitarist) solo from the song She." Frehley was contacted to see how he felt about the flattery. Nonplussed, Frehley laughingly replied "I stole it from the Door's song Five To One." And you know what? I'll be damned. I have all three recordings, and it IS the same note-for-note solo. Shows to go you, Eddie Van Halen was right. Rock and Roll is a bastard child, everyone taking from everyone else.
Damn. Just when you think you've had an original thought. And no-one cares what you think Eddie, you gratuitous plank-wanking grinagog. All a bit deflating really.

terminallyrelaxed

And I know, baby, just how you feel
You got to roll with the punches and get to what's real

Captain Crunch

Ahem, I think you'll find it's 'RO-wah-ooowll with the punchas..'