Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:25:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Directors not directing

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 27, 2018, 03:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

Quote from: bgmnts on March 30, 2018, 10:36:41 PM
Has John Carpenter been up to much in the 00s-10s?

Mainly working on music now, recording and performing.

I did hear he successfully sued Luc Besson's production company for ripping off Escape From New York a few years ago.

itsfredtitmus

im phoning hawks up and getting him to sue carpenter over precinct 13

Twit 2

Quote from: Shameless Custard on March 30, 2018, 10:30:49 PM
Eh? What about Somers Town (2008) and Le Donk and Scor-Zay-Zee (2009)?

Would be a stretch to call either of them proper features.

itsfredtitmus

I feel like Donk was a continuation of his early low budget short films

Z

Quote from: canted_angle_again on March 27, 2018, 08:38:41 PM
Also Shane Carruth seems to have been dormant since Upstream Color, which was another great film. I remember reading an interview saying he's working on 'a nautical adventure movie' but that was around the time Upstream Color was released and there's been no more news since that one interview.
He had one big project drain a lot of time and fall through before Upstream Color.
I believe he gets a good bit of consultant roles and is probably more a jack of all trades than a director tbh. He's been doing the music for The Girlfriend Experience recently and I suspect he cares more about learning new shit than getting really good at any one thing.

Zwigoff was never exactly prolific, 9 years between his first and second, 7 between his (very successful) second and third. Strikes me as someone who has gotten very used to getting by on fuck all and, after flirting a bit with being a full time filmmaker after Ghost World, just can't be arsed.

Warren Beatty done nothing at all for over 15 years other than a few court cases over the rights to Dick Tracey; and then put out some unfinished jumbled mess of a thing last year that everyone ignored. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_Don%27t_Apply

holyzombiejesus

I was reminded of a British film called Skeletons (2010) today. I really enjoyed it and it got much praise upon it's release. Surprised that the director, Nick Whitfield, has done fuck all since.

Keebleman

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 14, 2018, 12:52:56 AM
I was reminded of a British film called Skeletons (2010) today. I really enjoyed it and it got much praise upon it's release. Surprised that the director, Nick Whitfield, has done fuck all since.

Oh yes.  I saw a screening of that film in Cardiff with the director in attendance.  There was a Q&A after and I remember thinking how ordinary a character the director seemed.  He came across as just a middle-aged guy who had wanted to have a go at something.  His very mundaneness seemed to me a barrier against his achieving future success.  You might well say the same thing about successful Brit directors like Peter Yates, Mike Newell and Martin Campbell, but all of those have (I think) worked their way up from lowly positions in the industry.  People who want to make a film and actually do so, irrespective of whether or not it's any good, tend to be big personalities.

Noodle Lizard

Having rewatched The Borderlands today, I found it disappointing to discover that writer/director Elliot Goldner hasn't made anything since, instead seeming to be taking jobs in reality TV (and editing an episode of Locked Up Abroad).  Shame, since I think The Borderlands is the best British horror film in at least a decade and I'm sure he could've put those sensibilities to further good use.

Fabian Thomsett

Richard Lester's last film was Return of the Musketeers in 1989. Hasn't made anything since apart from a few Paul McCartney promos. Roy Kinnear actually died doing a stunt on the film and Lester was so traumatised by it he stopped working. But, having read Steven Soderbergh's book of interviews with him, I think he felt that he'd run of steam and probably felt a bit adrift in a very blockbuster-led industry.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 14, 2018, 12:52:56 AM

Really liked that film.

Fabian Thomsett

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 28, 2018, 12:46:29 PM
Christ, Bill Forsyth hasn't done anything since that Gregory's Girl sequel in the 90s.

There's this quote on his imdb page although I'm not sure if it's linked to him not directing or writing any more.

Oh, there's this from The Spectator too.

Mentioning Bill Forsyth reminds me of this very candid interview he did ten years ago

"I can't stand the cinema. We did go once three or four years ago just to experience it. We went to a mall outside Glasgow and had a pretty horrendous experience." What did he see? "I'm blush- ing," he says, and he is, and he is laughing too. "Wedding Crashers," he says. "We just wanted a night out. But the experience of being with the audience, the stench of popcorn. I objected to the way they were being manipulated, infantilised . . . The difference between an arthouse film and Wedding Crashers is minute. Then after the movie you're herded out, a rat in a maze. Suddenly you're in the car park."

QuoteGregory's Girl was a calculated movie on Forsyth's part. He knew which buttons to press: "young love and football", as he puts it. But those lovely touches, I suggest: the boy in the penguin suit, Clare Grogan looking cute in a beret (or "berry" as the gangly John Gordon Sinclair calls  it)... Forsyth says he wanted it to be a calling card, a ticket to bigger films with bigger budgets. "Sorry if it bursts your bubble," says the director, now 61 and attractively rumpled.

http://www.timteeman.com/2008/02/06/bill-forsyth/

Fabian Thomsett

I don't know whether he's  given up or what - but I would really like to see another Zwigoff film. Crumb and Ghost World are two of the best films of the last 25 years. Art School Confidential wasn't in the same class (ha) but was still fairly worthwhile. Haven't seen Bad Santa.