Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:55:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Roseanne

Started by MortSahlFan, March 27, 2018, 04:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

The show starts back up tonight at 8pm on ABC... I'm excited, as it can be a good opportunity to talk about the state of things in America at a base level. I hope the "We poor folk voted for Trump" thing isn't milked, but instead explained humorously. I've read some of her tweets in the last 10 months, and she sounds like an insane Zionist, but she's probably the only woman I'd consider funny in comedy... I hope they point to her support for Bernie Sanders, and maybe show people won't be taken for granted.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: MortSahlFan on March 27, 2018, 04:11:45 PM
The show starts back up tonight at 8pm on ABC... I'm excited, as it can be a good opportunity to talk about the state of things in America at a base level. I hope the "We poor folk voted for Trump" thing isn't milked, but instead explained humorously. I've read some of her tweets in the last 10 months, and she sounds like an insane Zionist, but she's probably the only woman I'd consider funny in comedy... I hope they point to her support for Bernie Sanders, and maybe show people won't be taken for granted.

Woah, woah, woah... what?

Ornlu

Would you like to explain to the rest of the class what you meant by that?

sevendaughters

don't derail the thread this early, take it elsewhere. ROSEANNE everyone!

Twed

Quote from: MortSahlFan on March 27, 2018, 04:11:45 PMI hope they point to her support for Bernie Sanders, and maybe show people won't be taken for granted.
I don't, because she's associated with Trump (for what seems to be contrarian reasons for the most part) and it just gives fuel for the "alt-left" accusation fire. Also she's vocally anti-Bernie.

I think Roseanne as a Trump supporter is going to be important in understanding why the working classes supported Trump and why calling a huge swath of the midwest "deplorables" isn't going to work. I believe the first episode is going to touch on this.

Rolf Lundgren

Read a review which said they're all phoning it in apart from Sara Gilbert who's great. Generally lukewarm was the reaction. I'll give it a go if I see it though. Always liked the original until the last series and WORST finale ever.

Malcy

Quote from: Twed on March 27, 2018, 04:45:50 PM
I don't, because she's associated with Trump (for what seems to be contrarian reasons for the most part) and it just gives fuel for the "alt-left" accusation fire. Also she's vocally anti-Bernie.

I think Roseanne as a Trump supporter is going to be important in understanding why the working classes supported Trump and why calling a huge swath of the midwest "deplorables" isn't going to work. I believe the first episode is going to touch on this.

Oooft, don't think i'll bother watching now.

MortSahlFan

I don't like Donald Trump, but I didn't like the other candidate, either.. Also think it's childish to NOT watch something.. never mind.

Twed

I'm with you. And it's about two sisters, one wearing a Make America Great Again Hat and one wearing a Nasty Woman/pussy hat falling out over the election, not a pro-Trump piece. It's a bit petty to tune out.

Malcy

It's neither 'childish' or 'petty'. I'm sick of hearing about Trump and American politics so I'll just watch something else to get a laugh. It's not like Roseanne is the only comedy show in existence.

Dog Botherer

Laurie Metcalf and Darlene's son are by far the best parts of the reboot. John Goodman is as good as always. Debbie from Shameless is absolutely stinking the place up though, how did she go from being one of the best actors on that show to this?

Overall thought it was pretty good, will keep watching.

Twed

Seen the first two episodes. I think it's great, more than I hoped for.

DarleneBecky can't act.

MortSahlFan

Pretty good.. But the only thing I could say definitely was how Darlene couldn't act, especially when she'd get angry, even though she said those same lines 24 years ago (when she was the best children's actor)... Roseanne, Dan, and Jackie were the highlights for me.

Desirable Industrial Unit

Quote from: MortSahlFan on March 28, 2018, 02:50:54 AM
Pretty good.. But the only thing I could say definitely was how Darlene couldn't act

Really?  She was the pin holding it together for me.  Goodman was his reliable self, and original Becky seems to have either been on the cigars or dropped a couple of octaves.  What was remarkable was how Roseanne was barely there.  A ghost in her own series.

About as good as could be hoped for, but with the feeling of a very quick check-in.  It could have been a disaster, but was happily just a drink of water.  We'll see if they can do anything with this next week.

ajsmith2

My tag would have been:

[Roseanne, you don't have to put on a red hat]

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: MortSahlFan on March 27, 2018, 10:32:04 PM
I don't like Donald Trump, but I didn't like the other candidate, either.. Also think it's childish to NOT watch something.. never mind.

Perhaps he should have said he didn't want to watch it because there is only one funny woman in the world of comedy, you'd be OK with that.

Didn't Goodman die at the end of the last season? How have they dealt with that?

Dog Botherer

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 28, 2018, 08:21:42 AM
Didn't Goodman die at the end of the last season? How have they dealt with that?

By making a few jokes right at the start and then basically pretending it never happened. Probably the simplest way really.

Brundle-Fly

SPOILERS

Just watched the last few episodes, (a friend works at Carsey Werner Distributions) the usual cameos, AAAAaaaarrrgh... C****n turns up as Dan's "secret son" but his accent was surprisingly good, a completely throwaway appearance by Britney Spears and some actress from Orange Is The New Black that made the audience go, "Woooooo!!!!"

I can't believe Rosanne had the temerity to wrap it up like they did. It was almost giving the big finger to the viewers. Breaking the fourth wall is a risky thing to do. Maybe she's been watching Mrs Brown's Boys or something? It looked real enough but "Angry Birds"? In 2018???

And that rap! Jesus.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Malcy on March 28, 2018, 01:37:11 AM
It's neither 'childish' or 'petty'. I'm sick of hearing about Trump and American politics so I'll just watch something else to get a laugh. It's not like Roseanne is the only comedy show in existence.
Your reasoning isn't petty. But there are people who refused to watch because Roseanne voted Trump. Which is just fucking stupid, never mind petty.

Malcy hitting saturation point with the fucker is perfectly understandable, the twat is permanently in the headlines in a way that no other president in my lifetime has been.  You kind of want a break from time to time.

As peculiar as Roseanne has always been as a person, it makes perfect sense for the show itself to address this.  A president this polarising is absolutely the sort of thing it would have addressed in its heyday, and at least in the first episode, it's by no means a cheerleading exercise.

MortSahlFan

I think it's trying to cash in on the chaos and the gossip of the day (Trump, etc).. And even with that, no substance, just a few tag-lines "Hey deplorable!"... I'm hoping it was to get 18 million viewers to watch for later, and that it actually say something, with humor.

newbridge

This was very funny actually. I'm surprised.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 28, 2018, 10:21:45 AM
SPOILERS

Just watched the last few episodes, (a friend works at Carsey Werner Distributions) the usual cameos, AAAAaaaarrrgh... C****n turns up as Dan's "secret son" but his accent was surprisingly good, a completely throwaway appearance by Britney Spears and some actress from Orange Is The New Black that made the audience go, "Woooooo!!!!"

I can't believe Rosanne had the temerity to wrap it up like they did. It was almost giving the big finger to the viewers. Breaking the fourth wall is a risky thing to do. Maybe she's been watching Mrs Brown's Boys or something? It looked real enough but "Angry Birds"? In 2018???

And that rap! Jesus.

Joking aside, I'm really looking forward to this. Surprised to read that Roseanne has marginalised her presence in this first episode.

It's not that she's marginalised herself exactly, it's more that she's the least essential person there.  She may well have the most screen time but the focus is very much on the rest of the cast - you could lose her without losing too much.

JoeyBananaduck

Debuted to 18 million + viewers. That's pretty impressive.

Gulftastic

A lot better than I feared it could have been. Goodman, Gilbert and Graham were my favourites. And sounds like a law firm.

I did let out a little cry of 'no!' when Becky threw a pile of comics in the bin.

Gulftastic

bloody duplicae post

That was pretty good actaully. The only issue i've got so far is the kids are way to well ebhaved, in Orginal Roseanne the kids were unruly, mow they are far to clever and thoughtful and always right.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 27, 2018, 04:15:25 PM
Woah, woah, woah... what?

Yeah, I love the way he just slipped that in. It's more ignorance than from basis in fact though so we should probably go easy on the young lad.

As for Roseanne doing a new show. It was consistently great when I watched the whole thing from the start about a year ago. Fell off a cliff in the last season where they become millionaires and start hanging around with kings and celebrities like Patsy and Eddie from AbFab. I gave up before I could get to the end of that season. It was really woeful, especially considering the previous seasons.

When Roseanne is concentrating though she is capable of great things.

daf