Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:03:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Roseanne

Started by MortSahlFan, March 27, 2018, 04:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

I said a spotty representation. But fuck me if you don't miss a chance to ShareBlue a talking point.

newbridge

Quote from: Twed on April 05, 2018, 11:53:55 PM
I said a spotty representation. But fuck me if you don't miss a chance to ShareBlue a talking point.

Yes, pointing out that the working class is much more progressive than you seem to think is a "ShareBlue" talking point.

Twed

Your used a Roseanne thread to try to make Clinton look popular with the white working class.

newbridge

Quote from: Twed on April 06, 2018, 12:05:55 AM
Your used a Roseanne thread to try to make Clinton look popular with the white working class.

Income <$50,000:
Clinton 53%
Trump 41%

And that's only because the poorer people are the less likely they are to vote (by choice or by disenfranchisement). If there was compulsory voting and everyone was actually allowed to vote, I suspect the number would be >80% Democratic. The embittered middle class are the engine of fascism and always have been.

Don't let facts ruin a good patronizing narrative from corporate journalists in a handful of East Coast cities though.

Twed

OH you think those are figures are positive or relevant. Or you don't but it is your job to randomly make Hillary Clinton look vaguely good apropos of nothing.

newbridge

Quote from: Twed on April 06, 2018, 12:36:10 AM
OH you think those are figures are positive or relevant. Or you don't but it is your job to randomly make Hillary Clinton look vaguely good apropos of nothing.

More about making Trump look bad and noting that it is patronizing to think that a majority of the working class are as gullible or fucking dumb as Roseanne.

(Your point would be better if the storyline was that Jackie was angry at Roseanne for staying home and not voting)

Twed

More of that wonderful "deplorables" messaging that helped your girl lose an easy election against an opponent she picked.

Fuck, you people would rather astroturf than consider trying to understand the Midwest.

newbridge

Quote from: Twed on April 06, 2018, 12:42:10 AM
More of that wonderful "deplorables" messaging that helped your girl lose an easy election against an opponent she picked.

Fuck, you people would rather astroturf than consider trying to understand the Midwest.

I'm from the Midwest, that's why I know the corporate media narrative is such bullshit. Poor people and the working class substantially favor Democrats. They're the ones who actually have to live with the differences.

You would be better served pointing out, correctly, that poor people are totally disillusioned with electoral politics and tend not to vote, or, as happened in Wisconsin and Michigan, voted for Sanders over Clinton in the primary. You don't need to parrot this elitist garbage about "union voters" handing Trump the election. Classist propaganda.

Twed

You are shit at spin and this thread is the about the TV show "Roseanne". Shut up.

Desirable Industrial Unit

Quote from: newbridge on April 05, 2018, 11:48:44 PM
The reason I liked the original show is because it is funny for a network sitcom and because it actually seems real and relatable as a depiction of a Midwestern middle class family.

They were always middle class, which is one of those things that gets lost a bit now as the landscape has shifted.  It was the always about the widening gap between rich and poor, and how the middle class as a concept was ceasing to exist.  We were looking at a family who should have been your ideal TV sitcom family, but they were struggling because the parents were born about 10 years too late.

newbridge

Quote from: Twed on April 06, 2018, 12:53:53 AM
You are shit at spin and this thread is the about the TV show "Roseanne". Shut up.

*audience gasps, serious music plays and the scene fades to commercial*

Can this thread not get bogged down in political tit for tat, there are other threads for that. The last episode had nothing to do with Trump. The question that should be addressed is, is the return funny. The answer for me is its slightly funny, there are a couple of good lines, but the world has changed a lot since its orginal run. Has Roseanne changed or the world cahnged around her, I don't recall Roseanne being so reckless in the orginal run, what I've have got from the recent watching on (spam) is that Roseanne and Dan are snarky but you feel real chemistry between them and a love for the family. In the modern rendition the chemistry has somewhat disspated, and Roseanne just comes across as a women who is struggling with the modern world.

Kelvin

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on April 06, 2018, 01:17:08 AM
Can this thread not get bogged down in political tit for tat, there are other threads for that. The last episode had nothing to do with Trump. The question that should be addressed is, is the return funny. The answer for me is its slightly funny, there are a couple of good lines, but the world has changed a lot since its orginal run. Has Roseanne changed or the world cahnged around her, I don't recall Roseanne being so reckless in the orginal run, what I've have got from the recent watching on (spam) is that Roseanne and Dan are snarky but you feel real chemistry between them and a love for the family. In the modern rendition the chemistry has somewhat disspated, and Roseanne just comes across as a women who is struggling with the modern world.

In the latter years of the original run, Roseanne is already a completely transformed character. She's truly hateful to her family at times, which is never true of her in the first few series. 

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: Twed on April 05, 2018, 03:05:46 PM
BTW it's okay to find Harris hot, she's not actually 15. Don't worry about any feelings that shower scene gave you.

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Emma+Kenney/Emma+Kenney+Takes+Dog+Salon/n3TS2rnrgrZ

Move over, Ariel Winter.

Yeah, cheers for going out of your way to reassure me that it's ok to find a fictional underage girl fuckable.

Twed

You're welcome. Please enjoy the way the ridiculous words "fictional underage" feel in your mouth.

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: Twed on April 06, 2018, 04:04:45 PM
You're welcome. Please enjoy the way the ridiculous words "fictional underage" feel in your mouth.

Please continue to give yourself permission to knock one out over teenagers on TV.

Twed

You really want her to actually be 15, huh?

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: Twed on April 06, 2018, 04:12:00 PM
You really want her to actually be 15, huh?

Yes mate that is exactly what I'm implying. Classic projection innit.

You fucking weirdo.

Twed

*Luc Besson comes charging into thread*

paruses

Where are people watching this? Feel free to be cryptic if the source necessitates it (but not so cryptic I can't understand the answer).

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Hmm... Sounds like "ship"?

Its all wall to wall politics and Peados with you guys.

Desirable Industrial Unit

Quote from: olliebean on April 05, 2018, 11:09:26 PM
And that physically assaulting a child is not only an acceptable punishment, but also a funny joke. I'm out.

Plus the shower gag at the end, which was just invasive and horrible.  Think you can have some privacy when you're naked?  Guess again!

I get what they're doing with Harris, but what they've done with Darlene as a result is the bigger crime.  They've made her into the stereotypical kid who will grow out of her individuality once she has some REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE under her belt.  Sara Gilbert is putting in a good turn but they've sanded her character down so much, because that's what happens when you have kids apparently.  I'll keep watching, but the third episode was where it died.

Kelvin

Bhazor

Bit of a shitshow this thread. Which is fitting given the show.

Endicott

Quote from: Desirable Industrial Unit on April 06, 2018, 01:02:01 AM
They were always middle class, which is one of those things that gets lost a bit now as the landscape has shifted.  It was the always about the widening gap between rich and poor, and how the middle class as a concept was ceasing to exist.  We were looking at a family who should have been your ideal TV sitcom family, but they were struggling because the parents were born about 10 years too late.

Roseanne worked on a factory assembly line, and Dan did construction, when he could get it, which wasn't all the time. That's working class, isn't it? How were they ever middle class? Does it mean something different in America?

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Endicott on April 09, 2018, 12:57:49 PM
Roseanne worked on a factory assembly line, and Dan did construction, when he could get it, which wasn't all the time. That's working class, isn't it? How were they ever middle class? Does it mean something different in America?

They were definitely working-class (except the last season)