Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:35:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Far Cry 5

Started by Rolf Lundgren, March 27, 2018, 09:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolf Lundgren

Comes out today. Anyone interested in it? Set in Montana with you playing a sheriff's deputy trying to stop a doomsday cult.

The first reviews say they've got rid of the tower stations to unlock the map (boo!) and you don't have to constantly skin every animal you meet (hurray!).

I'm currently playing Far Cry 4 at the minute which has been disappointing because from gameplay to plot it's virtually the same as Far Cry 3. A good game but I'm expecting more. As far as open world games go though, they're amazing in creating a living, breathing world that also looks pretty awesome. Sounds like Far Cry 5 continues that tradition.

biggytitbo

I'll probably get round to playing it in 2021, I've only just got round to GTAV so I take my time.

Beagle 2

It looks absolutely nuts, I'm not sure whether in a good or bad way. I think I'm going to get it though. The last one proper was just too big, I couldn't even say that it was spread thinly because I enjoyed every part I experienced, but after completing about 0.3% of it I just thought "FUCK THIS" and filed it away.

They should do condensed versions of games for people with stuff to do that isn't computer games. Would buy a version of so many games with a guaranteed six hours of content before it evaporates in the console and tells you to go and phone a relative.

Ferris

I'm well up for this. Is it any good?

Mobius

It's just gonna be the same as all the other ones isn't it

Ferris

Yeah, but in Montana.

Shay Chaise

I'll get this after two beers and uninstall it a week later so the icon staring at me doesn't make me feel guilty. Once a month, I'll reinstall it with the best of intentions. Five minutes, looks nice that, nice lighting...hehe...a dog...

Uninstall. Fifty quid. A few months of guilt til the next dumb purchase replaces it.

That's why I predominantly play indies and Neo Geo ports and arcade ports these days, I get a good few hours out of each one, they're inherently fun because they have great mechanics and I feel I've got my money's worth by the time I uninstall, by which point I've normally completed them a couple of times. I bought Caladrius Blaze the other week for £25, I've played it once because I never use the PS4 really. It's not full price but it's a stupid buy when I've got Danmaku for less than a tenner which is better. Dumb bastard.

Bhazor

I am tempted by it (especially given that I have a 20% voucher for uplay) but the Far Cry games just seem to lack a spark with me. High budget open world spectacle with perfectly fine gameplay but there's just something souless about them. A game made by 4000 people that doesn't have an ounce of humanity to it. Doesn't help that they always have these pretensions of being thought provoking art with deep dark themes while the gameplay always goes totally against it. It just makes me long for a next gen Stalker. Imagine what a good developer using the Ubisoft open world formula.

Jerzy Bondov

Way too shite at these. 'Getting shot by people you can't see' simulators. Not their fault, mine.

Neomod

I've noticed I've played each Far Cry less and less as it's gone on.

Nice though that they apparently make a joke about not having to climb towers in this one, whilst you're climbing a tower.

Timothy

It's very good. Far Cry 4, but better. Buddy system is awesome, as is the fact that you can play the entire game in co-op.

Bazooka

I had Farcry 1 on the xbox but it was German only, so never played it(as in I could not change the language). Farcry 3 was the next, which I completed but it  was very much the same mission structure over and over, maxed out all the skill trees by the end but only used the same abilities over and over. 

biggytitbo

Watch Dogs 2 is the way these games should be done, just fun all the way without getting boring or repetitive.

wooders1978

Just played through FC4 again so well up for this as I love the far cry games - shame about the tower thing though, seems an odd decision to take away the little puzzles of climbing them

Shay Chaise

They replaced it with having to carefully negotiate showing any political bias so as not to affect sales.

Absolutely shit shit shit satire. Beneath me by miles but I said it, came from my head, must be a worse guy than even I thought. Greve.

Timothy

By the way. Just finished the game. And the ending.... URGH. Went from buy it now to but it at a sale.

madhair60

Quote from: Timothy on March 28, 2018, 09:06:50 PM
Just finished the game.

QuoteWent from buy it now to but it at a sale.

?

Timothy

There are no spoiler tags here right? If you want to know the ending send a PM.

Shay Chaise

Does the ending just cut to

THANKS OBAMA

Timothy

No.

But Obama is mentioned negatively in the game in side missions.

Mister Six

I've got a pile of games as long as my arm to finish, so I'll probably pick it up second-hand. But I'm glad I skipped 4, because it has left me feeling hungry to play this one.

Ferris

Was 4 the one set in not-Nepal? I liked that one

biggytitbo

Mr Biffo has had a bit of a rant about the reviews of this game here - https://www.digitiser2000.com/main-page/a-plea-to-games-journalists-sometimes-its-okay-not-to-be-outraged-by-mr-biffo

Pretty much agree with that.

Timothy

I disagreed with all the reviews and had the same view as the writer of that article until I finished the game and saw the end of the storyline. Then all the reviews started to make sense.
Never been more annoyed with a game in my life.

Bhazor

No. Farcry has tried to be about politics and big themes ever since Farcry 2. The problem is they're shit at it.

Mister Six

I'd love a remake of FarCry 2 that had actual gameplay and proper AI and functional physics. The setting and buddy system were great - but everything else was awful.

Zetetic

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 29, 2018, 01:05:55 PM
Mr Biffo has had a bit of a rant about the reviews of this game here -

Pretty much agree with that.
It doesn't seem to mention at any point the vast amounts of PR that Ubisoft through at the game trying to portray it as a work that says something about something.

QuoteAs I've aged, I've found myself with less energy to devote to such rabid discourse,
Since I'm devoting it to writing rants about games journalism instead. I wonder how much angry writing we have to have about other people being a bit disappointed before it become sufficiently obviously farcical to spend your time producing it.

It seems quite reasonable - if you're an art critic - to want vastly expensive works of art that fall among a small number dominating many people's experience of a medium to do something meaningful with a whole bunch of themes that have been specifically chosen because of their apparent relevance to unpleasant happenings in the real world.

Zetetic

Something still annoys me quite a bit about treating Far Cry, Far Cry 2, and the others as if they really have much to with each other than a shared series title. (Yes, there's the same studio name on the box and clearly some conceptual history but far less so even than Bethesda's reinventions of the Elder Scrolls for example.)

(I imagine it's the sort of "open your eyes, sheeple!" urge that means we can't have threads in General Bullshit any more.)

madhair60

Quote from: Mister Six on March 29, 2018, 01:42:30 PM
I'd love a remake of FarCry 2 that had actual gameplay and proper AI and functional physics. The setting and buddy system were great - but everything else was awful.

It's the most interesting game in the series imo. Brilliant atmosphere, great fun. Loved it. Recommended on PC over console though. I can totally understand why people weren't fans.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Zetetic on March 29, 2018, 02:17:11 PM
It doesn't seem to mention at any point the vast amounts of PR that Ubisoft through at the game trying to portray it as a work that says something about something.

Really, I thought 99% of that was people looking at the setting and then flying off on their own tangents for their own reasons.

It never made any sense for Ubisoft to make a strong political stance video game when they cost so much money did it?