Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:26:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Far Cry 5

Started by Rolf Lundgren, March 27, 2018, 09:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

It's obviously difficult to make mass-appeal art that means anything. That doesn't mean we shouldn't want it, or that it's impossible.

QuoteReally, I thought
Well.

Ubisoft, for example, made a fair a bit of noise about how they'd researched how cults actually recruit and retain people, by references to actual cults. (None of which makes it in the game.)

Timothy

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 29, 2018, 02:48:24 PM

Really, I thought 99% of that was people looking at the setting and then flying off on their own tangents for their own reasons.

It never made any sense for Ubisoft to make a strong political stance video game when they cost so much money did it?

They sold it as a political game.
Then 98 percent of the game isn't political.
Then the last 2 percent of the game is quite political.

biggytitbo

I don't think they did sell it as a political game, people just presumed that from the setting.

Bhazor

They go for Klan imagery, they talk about torture and rape. Then they pull back and make the evil deep south militant christian cult into multi-denominational multiethnic social club. Its cowardice. They court the controversy and then they don't have the nerve to do what they said they were going to do.

Saints Row is far more gamey than Far Cry has ever been and no one ascribes politics to it because it doesn't court politics in it. Wolfenstein is far more political than Far Cry has ever been and it doesn't let it stop them being a bombastic action game.

Timothy

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 29, 2018, 03:54:34 PM
I don't think they did sell it as a political game, people just presumed that from the setting.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/d3wjyv/far-cry-5-interview-talking-cults-and-culture-with-the-developers

QuoteDoes that mean that we absolutely, unequivocally, have to tackle it this way at this moment with this thing? No, it doesn't. We can go in and we can have a story that has a cult. We can have a story that's not just about America.

It's about the state of the world right now, where everything feels like it's a little bit closer to the edge than it should be. And that maybe we need to take a step back. Maybe there's a moment where we need to think.

And I think that that's... If people are going to be able take away anything from this... Y'know, of course it's a Far Cry game, you're gonna be able to go in, it's going to be an anecdote factory. You have a whole bunch of stuff to do and you can play it however you wanna play it, and you can assemble the story as a choose your own adventure, right?

But what you take away from it?

I think you take away from it that we are on the edge. And that maybe there needs to be a little bit of thinking about that. There needs to be... What do we learn? How do we manage that in the real world.

samadriel

Quote from: Bhazor on March 29, 2018, 04:01:39 PM
They go for Klan imagery, they talk about torture and rape. Then they pull back and make the evil deep south militant christian cult into multi-denominational multiethnic social club. Its cowardice. They court the controversy and then they don't have the nerve to do what they said they were going to do.

Sounds reminiscent of Bioshock Infinite, which pretty much ended up saying "the blacks and the Irish are just as bad as their oppressors!"

Mister Six

Quote from: samadriel on March 30, 2018, 04:57:14 AM
Sounds reminiscent of Bioshock Infinite, which pretty much ended up saying "the blacks and the Irish are just as bad as their oppressors!"

Yeah, not really though.

It said that atrocities committed for a righteous cause are still atrocities. It made no statement about any racial or national group, only about those individuals and the wider human condition. And the game stood by its central message - that violent retribution is not the solution to violent injustice - up to the end.

Timothy

Quote from: Mister Six on March 30, 2018, 05:42:01 AM
And the game stood by its central message - that violent retribution is not the solution to violent injustice - up to the end.

Have you played and finished the game? Because that's just not true.

Bhazor

Quote from: samadriel on March 30, 2018, 04:57:14 AM

I'd never say Bioshock Infinite is a masterpiece but I do think it's misunderstood. It is not about racism but about a very particular American frame of mind at a very specific period of time. Civil religion, "god given rights" and manifest destiny. Racism is a part of that but its a form of racism unique to its time. The idea of "lifting up the savages" and saving them from their own backward ways. If you have the time listen to American Peril by Dan Carlin which is the most concise and interesting summary of the very specific era that Bioshock Infinite is based on.

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-49-the-american-peril/

How successful it was is up for debate of course but unlike Far Cry it at least tries to do it.

Shay Chaise

Managed to resist buying this following Timothy's posts. Thanks, Tim.

Saved me fifty quid.

I alcohol looked at some more footage and it looked like the same old thing.

Mister Six

Quote from: Timothy on March 30, 2018, 09:59:13 AM
Have you played and finished the game? Because that's just not true.

Yes, and it is. Booker's caught in an eternal loop of creating, fighting against, and therefore recreating, "Comstock", who in turn lashes out and creates (and recreates) "Booker". The only way for Booker to break the loop is the step he takes at the end - to stop turning violence outward, and to passively allow himself to die.

Timothy

Oh shit, thought you were talking about Far Cry. My bad.

QuoteManaged to resist buying this following Timothy's posts. Thanks, Tim.

Buy it used when it's 20 or something. It's worth that.

TIAL

Definitely one to rent, but I'm glad I did (also I don't know why more people don't rent games rather than buy them). Enjoying messing about slowly going through the map, although the story isn't much so far. A good podcast game.
It is slightly maddening that you can't stand in the same place for a minute without being discovered by some cult members and immediately shot at, but I'm guessing once I have completed a county this becomes a safe zone?

I really liked the look of this too but then realised I hadn't actually played FC4 yet still so decided to buy that instead for a tenner.

bgmnts

Far Cry Instincts was ace.

Everything after 2 is pure Ubisoft wank.

Blood Dragon gets a pass, though. Because its Blood Dragon.

Shay Chaise

FC3 was the first I ever played and having skipped the PS2 gen, it was my first glimpse of next-gen gaming. I rinsed it. It was my first collectathon type game. My first craft-em-up type game. My first open world game. It was a real eye opener. Then FC4 was a real disappointment, a palette swap. I sacked it off after an hour.

I was a whisker away from buying FC5 then reinstalled FC4. If I was desperate for more Far Cry, I would surely be happy to play this. Ten minutes. Boring.

Saved.

Bhazor

All this talk of Far Cry gave me a hankering for a first person sand box shooter. So I went looking on Steam for similar games and discovered I somehow had Dying Light in my library. Presumably from some humble bundle or something. Its pretty good. All the good stuff of Far Cry but with a crafting and progression system that actually feels empowering rather than limiting, much better movement systems and a lot less of the rubbish scripted "cinematic" moments and none of the art pretensions of Farcry 2-5. I might even upgrade to the Enhanced GOATSE edition. Which would be the first DLC I've paid for since the blood god DLC for Total Warhammer 1.

Shay Chaise

I don't get Dying Light - at all. The melee feels absolutely dreadful, especially that kick. The idea of first person parkour is interesting but the reality is stop start and so slow and fiddly. I think it falls well short. The story, fuck me. The night time bits were unbelievably tense, so good work on that. I heard it gets better when you get the grappling hook in the second half of the game or something.

Quote from: Bhazor on March 31, 2018, 12:13:48 PM
All this talk of Far Cry gave me a hankering for a first person sand box shooter. So I went looking on Steam for similar games and discovered I somehow had Dying Light in my library. Presumably from some humble bundle or something. Its pretty good. All the good stuff of Far Cry but with a crafting and progression system that actually feels empowering rather than limiting, much better movement systems and a lot less of the rubbish scripted "cinematic" moments and none of the art pretensions of Farcry 2-5. I might even upgrade to the Enhanced GOATSE edition. Which would be the first DLC I've paid for since the blood god DLC for Total Warhammer 1.

Really worth getting Dying Light:The Following expansion as well.

Quote from: Shay Chaise on March 31, 2018, 12:44:23 PM
I don't get Dying Light - at all. The melee feels absolutely dreadful, especially that kick. The idea of first person parkour is interesting but the reality is stop start and so slow and fiddly. I think it falls well short. The story, fuck me. The night time bits were unbelievably tense, so good work on that. I heard it gets better when you get the grappling hook in the second half of the game or something.

Once you get al your skills upa bit and the grappling hook I can say it is great fun to play. Especially when your weapons are modded up too. I still play it now when I fancy a quick blast of a game.
As said above, The Following expansion is great. You have a dune buggy that you can mod up as well.

bgmnts

I got bored of Dying Light quick. Same with Dead Island and other games of that ilk. First person melee combat is generally a bit cack.

biggytitbo

Dying Light is fucking great, as is the expansion. Incredibly atmospheric, quests remain fun just because climbing around the incredibly detailed and atmospheric environments remains mechanically satisfying in itself. It was the same with Assassin's Creed Syndicate, even when the quests were repetitive it didn't matter because using the grapple and jumping around the rooftops never stopped being fun.

bgmnts

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 31, 2018, 08:13:32 PM
It was the same with Assassin's Creed Syndicate, even when the quests were repetitive it didn't matter because using the grapple and jumping around the rooftops never stopped being fun.

You dont get bored of the same holding R and holding the analogue up after about 5 consecutive games? Fair play to you.

Moribunderast

Been looking at footage and reviews for FC5 and, despite loving 3 and enjoying 4, I just don't know if it's for me. Reckon I'll end up getting it on sale at some point as the setting and cult plot appeals but from footage I've seen it looks like the game simply refuses to leave you alone. I liked the organic ways shit could fall apart in FC3, where you'd spend ages scoping out an area, planning an attack and then a tiger would burst in and send you scurrying and a sudden gun-battle would erupt and it was all chaotic madness. FC5 seems to have taken that too far, though, where you barely get a moment where something in the world isn't trying to attack you. I reckon I'd find that bloody annoying as the game wore on. Is this the case or am I off-base here?

I do like the Far Cry games but they all feel incredibly samey. I didn't get much into Primal and having played Dying Light recently I reckon I've had my Ubisoft fill for a year or so. The games are all decent and functional and generally fun but they feel so identical these days that it's hard to justify playing more than one every twelve months.

Bhazor

Quote from: Shay Chaise on March 31, 2018, 12:44:23 PM

Well the slowness of combat feels deliberate. It's not like Dead Island or Dead Rising where you slaughter waves of zombies. Here two or three standard zombies can be a real challenge and killing them feels like a fallback for when you can't just run past. I've been playing it as a surprisingly effective stealth game. Certainly its better than trying to play stealthy in Far Cry where it always ends up squatting in a bush half a mile away and killing everyone with a magic silent sniper rifle until a jeep full of goons spawns on top of you. Theres simply too many zombies and silenced weapons are so rare that you have to choose between smash and grab or full stealth. Using parkour as a way to get from hiding spot to hiding spot. Which is really driven home at night when just trying to cross a couple blocks is fucking terrifying.

The story is absolute crap of course.

Mobius

Yeah, you do get attacked a lot. There seems to be plenty of patrols and planes and wild animals so there's always something annoying you.

This is exactly like all the other Far Cry games so if you enjoy them you'll like this. The world is pretty boring, nothing interesting happens in the wild.

I have been skipping cutscenes because they're tedious, so can't really say much about the storyline but it looks shit, all the NPCs are the usual wacky nutter type characters who talk a load of bollocks. You liberate outposts, rescue civilians, take drugs and a modern song plays whilst the screen goes mental. all the standard Far Cry stuff.

Timothy

Quote from: Moribunderast on April 01, 2018, 11:11:38 AM
Been looking at footage and reviews for FC5 and, despite loving 3 and enjoying 4, I just don't know if it's for me. Reckon I'll end up getting it on sale at some point as the setting and cult plot appeals but from footage I've seen it looks like the game simply refuses to leave you alone. I liked the organic ways shit could fall apart in FC3, where you'd spend ages scoping out an area, planning an attack and then a tiger would burst in and send you scurrying and a sudden gun-battle would erupt and it was all chaotic madness. FC5 seems to have taken that too far, though, where you barely get a moment where something in the world isn't trying to attack you. I reckon I'd find that bloody annoying as the game wore on. Is this the case or am I off-base here?

Yes.

Also add the times were, due to storyline reasons, you suddenly are forced to do storyline stuff before you can continue to freeroam. And this happens a lot.

Brundle-Fly

I've only got a 360 so can't play FC5. Boo. Must get a new console.

I loved 3 & 4, to be honest, I don't get too involved with any perceived political messages in these games. I just like running around shooting things and riding elephants.

Is Far Cry Primal any cop?

Famous Mortimer

I pre-ordered it because I got a decent deal, and have never played any of them before so I have nothing to be bored of. Yet. Fingers crossed!

Neomod

I hope this is a Raylan Givens Simulator. Otherwise, not interested.