Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:06:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Far Cry 5

Started by Rolf Lundgren, March 27, 2018, 09:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bhazor

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 01, 2018, 01:30:41 PM
Is Far Cry Primal any cop?

Lots of knobbing in it. Which is fun. Especially when the animations start going out of sync and they start clipping through each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQgzHrHa1kw

Beagle 2

Well, that made me laugh a lot more than I probably should have.

Bhazor

Interesting Crowcab video about the backward steps of the Far Cry series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCeEvQ68jY8

Ferris

Got this today, cannot believe how expensive these kind of titles are.

It's good fun. It's almost exactly the same as Far Cry 3 (the Nepalese civil war one).

Bonkers amount of NPCs spawning that are after a fight. If you stand still on a road for more than 10 seconds, a convoy will come along. I'm creating traffic jams because they just keep coming and you can blow up cars pretty easy. Not sure what to make of the story yet but so far, so good.

chand

I'm really enjoying it, but then I wasn't expecting much from the storyline and I'm a sucker for these open world stealth-em-ups. Not missing the towers at all, and the hunting being scaled down a bit is good. It's worth doing a bit of hunting because you earn perk points for it, but you don't have to spend hours hunting rare animals just to get a specific upgrade.

The most annoying bits are the story missions, I've just done the first third of the map and twice got randomly snatched up and forced into missions, which makes sense in the context but is still irritating. Also don't like when these games break their own mechanics for the sake of action; just did a story mission which clearly wanted me to have to have a massive firefight outside, and as soon as I snuck up on anyone the other fifteen guys in the area got instantly alerted by the power of magic. I don't mind the odd change of pace but the AI suddenly reacted completely differently and I had to watch enemies hilariously spawn in front of me because the game wasn't prepared for me to try and sneak up via a nearby hill for some reason.

Neomod

Is there multiplayer in this? Some of the most fun I had was in the Waterworld™ map someone had created for Far Cry 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6bj7uVm_5A

Lemming

Caved in and bought this for the full agonising £49.99. After checking my remaining bank balance and emitting a long scream, I installed it and have been playing it pretty much nonstop over the past couple days.

Probably the best Far Cry game yet, and I've played them all, although I only really liked Far Cry 3 prior to this. The enemy spawns are fucking crazy and it's easy to see why that's a lot of people's main complaint, but the amount of ridiculous shit that happens when you're travelling to and from objectives is the best part of the game to me.

Need to travel a mere 200 meters up the road to get to an objective. No problem, you think, and then half an hour later you've died six times, seen two enemy helicopters collide and explode in the air, hijacked a truck with a mounted M-60 to deal with the convoy that suddenly materialised half a mile away and started racing towards you, called your AI helicopter companion and grappled onto the underside just in time to escape as a pack of cougars arrives and starts mauling your enemies and then, just as you survey the wreckage and piles of corpses and think it might be safe to move on, a fucking bomber appears, blows your helicopter to shit forcing you to parachute to the ground, and starts strafing you and bombing the shit out of everything.

The only thing that's a properly bad idea is the whole getting captured every 5 seconds with no way to avoid it or delay it thing. What the fuck were they thinking with that?

Ferris

It makes travelling to do anything a chore. Got to go meet this NPC 300m away? Well that'll take 45mins because there will be 10 convoys, some helicopters, a couple of trucks, 6 roadblocks and a grizzly bear. Ohhh fuck it I'll just blow up some trucks.

I shot down 3 planes on the way to a fishing trip 450m down the road. 3!! What kind of stockpiling has this cult been up to? I've wasted dozens of anti-personnel trucks and hundreds of fighters, and they just spawn out of nowhere. Walk 20m down the road, turn around and walk back - there's a roadblock there now.

It ruins the game a bit for me because it doesn't feel like a disparate gang of baddies who occasionally show up, it feels like an infinitely spawning video-gamey sort of thing and that massively breaks the illusion. It doesn't feel real, and that's a shame because the graphics are fantastic.

Lemming

I'm finding the game hard to take seriously anyway (the boss fight with Faith which was like something out of a PS1-era platformer had me laughing like a lunatic) so the presumably relatively small scale cult showing up with three spitfires and a fleet of gunboats doesn't bother me at all, at least from a story perspective. For the most part, I get the feeling the story is intended to be taken as one big joke, with the occasional moment of genuine tension or peril. I mean, you spend half the game flying around in a helicopter called Tulip with dual-mounted heavy machine guns piloted by a woman who screams "THE LIBERALS COULDN'T TAKE MY GUNS SO YOU SURE AS HELL CAN'T" every time she charges into combat, aided by a bear named Cheeseburger.

The only time the spawns have pissed me off is during outpost raids. I'm pretty sure everyone who's ever played a Far Cry game likes to scope out outposts in advance and then either snipe the enemies or sneak in undetected and stealthily take everyone out, so it's bullshit that a grizzly bear can sometimes just teleport into existence right behind you as you're sneaking towards a camp and its chaotic roaring alerts every cultist in a 6 mile radius who all instantly telepathically learn your exact location, utterly ruining the fun of outposts.

But yeah, the spawns are definitely excessive. It'd be cool if the spawns lessened over time as you take more ground from the cult in each region, but as far as I can tell the game spams enemies at you right up until you defeat the leader of the region, at which point they all vanish overnight.

Lemming

Just beat the game, holy shit the endings are bad. I'll never understand why writers of action movies and games keep making endings where you DON'T GET TO KILL THE MAIN VILLAIN AT THE END. A generic but well-designed shootout through the Father's compound culminating in taking him down in some cool way (helicopter fight or some shit) beats the shit out of a long boring cutscene and/or glitchy drug-induced fight any day. Far Cry 3 did the same annoying thing - you did at least get to take revenge on the villains, but you had to do it through silly drug-fuelled QTEs rather than using your own skills at the game.

Still lots of fun right up until the ending though. The regions feel distinct in terms of quality - John's was the best by quite a wide margin, Faith's was good fun, and Jacob's felt pretty half-arsed. I wonder if that's the order you're intended to play them in? Playing Jacob's region would definitely have soured me to the game a little due to the total lack of anything interesting in the whole area and the crap mountain terrain that's a pain to navigate.

remedial_gash

Quote from: Lemming on April 18, 2018, 10:30:42 PM
The regions feel distinct in terms of quality - John's was the best by quite a wide margin, Faith's was good fun, and Jacob's felt pretty half-arsed. I wonder if that's the order you're intended to play them in? Playing Jacob's region would definitely have soured me to the game a little due to the total lack of anything interesting in the whole area and the crap mountain terrain that's a pain to navigate.

Oh, I just started and I think it's hinted at to go South first as the Dog is useful when you've minimal health and only two weapon slots; bit disappointed if really gets blander as it's hardly the most exciting environment, but there is stuff to do.

It's alright I suppose, certainly not as annoying as I had expected after reading other peoples comments about constant 'action' - I've found that basically avoiding roads and just yomping across country seems to avoid most  of the random spawning wankers. I am enjoying the prepper's stash things at least you aren't collecting pointless artefacts or lost letters.

Mister Six

Quote from: remedial_gash on April 19, 2018, 12:09:36 AM

It's alright I suppose, certainly not as annoying as I had expected after reading other peoples comments about constant 'action' - I've found that basically avoiding roads and just yomping across country seems to avoid most  of the random spawning wankers.

Havent played it yet, but I was wondering about that. Avoiding the roads has been a part of Far Cry gameplay since at least 2.

biggytitbo

Ferris

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 11, 2018, 05:33:33 PM
I ran over a cow.

I bought a helicopter gunship and use it to blow up cows. Get on my level.

biggytitbo

I blew up two cows having sex.

Ferris

Oh ok fair enough that's very good

biggytitbo

Two dogs chasing each other!

I shot them both.

Ferris

Well don't rub it in

New Jack

The box art has them on a table that is covered with the American flag. They leaned heavily on assumptions it would be about America, when it's about, basically, a wacky vague cult of evildoers who make no sense and refer to nothing of substance

biggytitbo

It's the most unrealistic storyline ever - it's basically Just Cause, but that game has the sense to take place in nowheresville, where this purports to take place in some American state, where within about 10 seconds of any of these events the feds or the US Army would be in there to stop it like a flash. I don't know what they were thinking, but I suppose it's a game and you just go with it.

New Jack

Aye. The cynic in me (which is all of me!) thinks they just wanted a different setting for marketing purposes (which worked - it more than doubled first-week sell-through of Far Cry 4 and is the fastest selling Far Cry game) while having no creative desire at all to do anything unique with it.

All those early sales make me wonder how many bought it on the strength of the setting. Then found out the story is nonsense that could happen virtually anywhere

Personally I was aghast at the idea of roleplaying a character fighting against a drug cult! Some of these computer games aren't half zany

Ferris

**Spoilers!**

Just finished this, enjoyed it on the whole. Fun explosions and I found dropping in and out quite fluid. I could put it down for a few weeks, then pick it back up for a couple hours, then put it down again which was nice. Combat was fun but the AI baddies weren't up to much.

The Big Ending is where everyone seems to have diverging views. I liked it, but I'll echo the thoughts of others up the thread - why couldn't I just finish off the head baddie? And I fucking hate choices that are forced on me at the end. The first thing I do is pause the game, google both and spoil the ending because it's so frustrating making a choice based on fuck all information (especially when it's the only one in the whole game). It reminded me of The World's End and The Trip To Spain where the ending is a total curveball. That's not inherently a bad thing, but it does leave some pretty glaring plot holes in this instance. Then the whole thing is erased anyway because you can "continue" so everything goes back to how it was and you get on with the side quests after the main story is done. So it didn't happen? Or something. Takes away from it, in my opinion.

It's a Far Cry game which means good explosions, fun with vehicles, and it looks terrific (particularly the landscape and environment. I also liked the prepper stashes and side quests, and the main story was alright. That said, it could get a bit samey if you played for an extended period of time, the fire (as in all Far Cry games) is ludicrously over the top, and the boss fights were either mad (Faith's one) or a bit shit (Jacob, who I clocked from 200 yards away with 3 or 4 bursts from my LMG so the cutscene made no sense).

Overall, a generous 7/10.

biggytitbo

Does it make any difference what choice you make at the end? I enjoyed it all the way through, its just a finely honed machine, predictable yes but satsyfying on a very basic level to play. It's the junk food of gaming, undemanding, enjoyable, but ultimetly a bit empty.

The best 'ubisoft formula' game is still watchdogs 2 though.

Ferris

No idea if it makes a difference, that's why I google it. That's why I hate it. Stupid old game.

The junk food analogy is absolutely "nail on head" though.

wooders1978

There is quite a big aesthetic difference on the game post ending depending which way you go

Ferris

Quote from: wooders1978 on September 10, 2018, 05:26:30 PM
There is quite a big aesthetic difference on the game post ending depending which way you go

Is there? I ended up with the explodey ending, then post credits I hit continue and carried on. Is the revised environment the "Game+" option?

amnesiac

Can we talk about the music for a minute. This has an amazing soundtrack. I just discovered there are 3 full albums on Spotify, 4 if you include the 'game sounds' soundtrack. The Christian rock stuff is SO good, not normally a fan but fucking hell this is amazing.

Also one of the albums is BY 'Hope County Choir' how cool is that? 

Favourite tracks are 'Heal Me Faith' and 'Let the Water Wash Away Your Sins' I like how descriptive Christian rock track titles are too. You know what you're getting.

maett

I've been playing for a few weeks now, and every time I get in a vehicle I search for the Cult's Station. Cracking songs!

Ferris

Just picked this up again for a bit of drop in/drop out fun for the last couple of days. Still looks great, and a terrific way to kill an hour.

I've started a "new game plus" so I keep all my good firearms and silly mods, but I get another run at all the bad bastards.

Ferris

This game is impressively fun. Just running people over in my tractor, blowing up cows with dynamite, hanging out on the farm.