Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:19:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedians who were in bands before they became comedians. The Album.

Started by Brundle-Fly, March 28, 2018, 11:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newbridge

Tommy Chong was in an r&b band (Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers) that had a top-30 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 and, perhaps more significantly, discovered Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5 and got them signed to Motown.

marquis_de_sad

darby o chill

Quote from: nardis on March 28, 2018, 01:15:23 PM
Adam Buxton told a funny anecdote in one of his podcasts about being in a sixth-form band that was just a bad Talking Heads rip-off. Cornish and/or Theroux may have also been involved. Can't put my finger on which episode and a quick google search reveals nothing :(

Quote from: /m/ on March 28, 2018, 04:18:57 PM
Like you, I can't put my finger on the episode, but I half recall the two of them talking about 'the worst thing you did at school' (or 'your worst memory', perhaps). I think Adam's story was about him feeling guilty because of something he did to another kid, who was a member of said Talking Heads rip-off band, and the incriminating bit was him making this kid the fallguy when one of their gigs went south. Adam and the rest of the band just walked off, abandoning him on-stage, or something like that. It's been a few years since I heard it, though.

Quote from: non capisco on March 28, 2018, 11:38:28 PM
It's in the same Theroux episode as the stone cold classic "Aaaaaaaaahyessir, I can boogie" section.

^ that's the one.
https://soundcloud.com/adam-buxton/ep-29-louis-theroux#t=52:42

and the boogie falsetto :)
https://soundcloud.com/adam-buxton/ep-29-louis-theroux#t=1:01:25

*post amended to acknowledge /m/'s fantastic memory ;)

/m/

Quote from: /m/ on March 28, 2018, 04:18:57 PM
Like you, I can't put my finger on the episode, but I half recall the two of them talking about 'the worst thing you did at school' (or 'your worst memory', perhaps). I think Adam's story was about him feeling guilty because of something he did to another kid, who was a member of said Talking Heads rip-off band, and the incriminating bit was him making this kid the fallguy when one of their gigs went south. Adam and the rest of the band just walked off, abandoning him on-stage, or something like that. It's been a few years since I heard it, though.

Quote from: non capisco on March 28, 2018, 11:38:28 PM
It's in the same Theroux episode as the stone cold classic "Aaaaaaaaahyessir, I can boogie" section.

Jesus, it was and all.

"It's been a few years." Sure it has, y'feckin' eejit.

marquis_de_sad

Martin Mull — of Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Arrested Development fame — was another singer/comedian. He also wrote songs for other people.

/m/

Quote from: darby o chill on March 29, 2018, 12:24:32 AM*post amended to acknowledge /m/'s fantastic memory ;)

Listening to it over, I'm amazed I've retained various details of the anecdote but not the single Stone Cold Steve Fact of where it came from.

On the other hand, Theroux? Cornballs? What's between them, really? And, being fair to myself, 2016 is almost a few years ago. Right?

Nah, you were wrong, y'pillock.

Quote from: The Always Red Society on March 29, 2018, 08:24:36 AM
I still maintain that The Higsons were really quite good.
I agree, I stumbled on some 7''s and there awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHCTmAorTRE

I wonder who did steal their Bongo's.

Brundle-Fly

Mark Lamarr must've played double bass in some skiffle outfit in Swindon in the distant past. Something like Mark Kermode's Railtown Bottlers?