Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:08:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cab Men II: Because fact into doubt won't go

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 29, 2018, 09:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

My mate had money on Pogacar to win it. Had kissed his stake goodbye and then...

Poor Roglic looked fucked. Didn't watch yesterday's stage, was he okay?

gilbertharding

Love this image:

Did his white jersey get a little mannequin too?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

"All those other places, constantly deadnaming you - but not Starbucks. Starbucks accepts you, no matter what you call yourself, because we don't give a toss about you or your name we're really progressive."

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 17, 2020, 04:39:39 PM
The Snuts... "One of the UK's most exciting new bands" covering Loving Spoonful.
Not even covering it properly. I am certain that he sings "Not town", instead of "Hot town".

If I hear that fucker say pocket tap one more time...

gilbertharding

Breathe HA-pee
FE-breeze
La la la-la.

FUCK OFF!

Icehaven

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 21, 2020, 04:06:27 PM
"All those other places, constantly deadnaming you - but not Starbucks. Starbucks accepts you, no matter what you call yourself, because we don't give a toss about you or your name we're really progressive."

And what else are they going to do when someone walks in and gives them their name, say "James? Nah, sorry, you're clearly more of a Jane."

Gulftastic

Currently clogging up the ad breaks on Classic Corrie and Emmerdale is Parselybox.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suvLNPAfYaQ

I am mildly obsessed with the guy at about 20s. His performance as a conflicted soul struggling to name his favourite is De Niro esque.

buttgammon

Quote from: Gulftastic on September 30, 2020, 03:23:42 PM
Currently clogging up the ad breaks on Classic Corrie and Emmerdale is Parselybox.com

I am mildly obsessed with the guy at about 20s. His performance as a conflicted soul struggling to name his favourite is De Niro esque.

It must be an ITV3/4 thing, because I've been watching the French Open over the last few days and it's a staple of that too. There's something weirdly grim about those adverts, particularly because they don't seem to be as explicitly aimed at infirm people as some of their competitors.

imitationleather

It's like how ads for walk-in baths, rather than from their actual target market, have people aged only slightly older than I currently am in them.

Come on, ad agencies. Be more realistic and get Noam Chomsky advertising this stuff!

Quote from: icehaven on September 28, 2020, 09:00:49 PM
And what else are they going to do when someone walks in and gives them their name, say "James? Nah, sorry, you're clearly more of a Jane."
Well they never show the employee's face. I reckon they were giving James the side eye.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Gulftastic on September 30, 2020, 03:23:42 PM

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 24, 2020, 08:44:37 AM
I can't shake this guy on one of those "home-delivery microwave meals for one for the elderly" out of my brain. He's tanned and attempting to give off heavy GILF vibes crossed with elderly Mafioso.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suvLNPAfYaQ#t=20s

We can be mildly obsessed together.

gilbertharding

Quote from: gulftastic
Quote from: gulftasticCurrently clogging up the ad breaks on Classic Corrie and Emmerdale is Parselybox.com

Quote from: monkfromhavanaI can't shake this guy on one of those "home-delivery microwave meals for one for the elderly" out of my brain. He's tanned and attempting to give off heavy GILF vibes crossed with elderly Mafioso.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suvLNPAfYaQ#t=20s

We can be mildly obsessed together.

I've seen a this advert a few times over the last few days, and the "...no - the lasgne!" guy made me think instantly of this thread.

Gurke and Hare

Weirdly, among the usual mix of over-50s life insurance and over-50s dating sites and over-50s ready meals this lunchtime on Gold, a Peloton advert.

imitationleather

buttgammon

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 01, 2020, 01:53:07 PM
Weirdly, among the usual mix of over-50s life insurance and over-50s dating sites and over-50s ready meals this lunchtime on Gold, a Peloton advert.

It's the same deal on ITV4. It's almost as if it's been chucked in there to keep them on their toes.

Aaron500

Nicole on the Starbuck's ad certainly got lucky - there she was, her transition was being held up by her failure to think of a girl's name (really?), so she thinks, fuck it, traffic lights, open this magazine at random and the name that dominates is mine. And there are three celebrities on that one page called Nicole. Scherzinger, Kidman, and err... Richie? are my guesses.

What if there'd only been men on the page?

"The decision has been made, doctor. My female name will be Trevor."
Why did Heat wait for that issue to do the Brooking photoshoot?

Icehaven

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 30, 2020, 04:25:19 PM
Well they never show the employee's face. I reckon they were giving James the side eye.

The one and only time I've been asked my name in Starbucks they did the most bizarre spelling imaginable. I literally burst out laughing when I saw it, to this day I don't know how they came up with it unless they have a very pretentious, affected friend with the same name.

Bazooka

Quote from: Aaron500 on October 01, 2020, 10:33:40 PM
Nicole on the Starbuck's ad certainly got lucky - there she was, her transition was being held up by her failure to think of a girl's name (really?), so she thinks, fuck it, traffic lights, open this magazine at random and the name that dominates is mine. And there are three celebrities on that one page called Nicole. Scherzinger, Kidman, and err... Richie? are my guesses.

What if there'd only been men on the page?

"The decision has been made, doctor. My female name will be Trevor."
Why did Heat wait for that issue to do the Brooking photoshoot?

Hello Starbucks staff, did you hear that every name is a story, my parents chose Gary because it's a strong name, please write it on the cup, that is my story.

JesusAndYourBush

Icehaven

I feel dirty even thinking this, but this campaign does strike me as virtue signalling - in the original sense of the phrase, before it was hijacked by alt right fuckheads: i.e. A big company seeking applause (and, more to the point, money) for showing basic decency.

"Starbucks: we don't discriminate (against paying customers)" Good, you're not blinking well supposed to.

On the other hand, when you've got Chick Fil-A and Papa John openly taking shitty political stances, I suppose Starbucks actually does deserve some credit for making a stand, however half-arsed.

gilbertharding

When something as innocuous as casting a family of black people in an Argos advert can (apparently) make a significant number of people on twitter start saying things like 'go woke go broke', putting a transgender story in an advert could be seen as a bit more than half-arsed.

You're right though. In a sane world...

On the other hand, maybe they've calculated that the gammons are all mourning the demise of Lyons Corner Houses and wouldn't go in a Starbucks anyway.

I don't know about you, but I find the phrase 'go woke go broke' quite good marketing in itself - if I have to choose between two brands, and one has had *this* shit levelled against it, that's the one I'll go for.

petril

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 02, 2020, 03:05:02 PM
When something as innocuous as casting a family of black people in an Argos advert can (apparently) make a significant number of people on twitter start saying things like 'go woke go broke', putting a transgender story in an advert could be seen as a bit more than half-arsed.

on the other hand, all everybody reacting like that does is help promote the brand and product more. and for free. probably saves companies money knowing they can make a queer reference, or have a couple more black lads in the advert and some folk will just wild out and keep promoting you for free

most of the time I get made aware of these campaigns is because of the reactionary fuckheaddery

the main problem is how entrenched needing people to hate it has gotten

kalowski

I always ask for "Zod" in Starbucks. Like to say, "Kneel before Zod," when they serve me my extra warm latte.

imitationleather

They don't even write the names on the cups anymore FFS.

monkfromhavana

"So you can enjoy an even rarer coin".

These TV versions of Viz ads.....who buys them????

Whose idea was it to have a woman with a lisp voice an advert for "thekth toyth"? In addition, the cinematographer seemed to think they were shooting an episode of Eastenders.

Put me right off my stroke.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: monkfromhavana on October 08, 2020, 01:09:26 PM
"So you can enjoy an even rarer coin".

These TV versions of Viz ads.....who buys them????

That's the first ever one-eighth of a sovereign coin you're talking about there!

Bently Sheds

The latest Toyota Yaris Hybrid advert with the gymnast cartwheeling down a traffic jam before morphing into a Toyota Yaris Hybrid containing a gymnast homunculus winds me up when the voiceover guy announces "The new TeeYoda Yaris".
Fucksake, you can't even pronounce the name of the product you're advertising correctly!!

Thanks to the current advert, I now subconsciously associate Maltesers with dog turds.