Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:37:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cab Men II: Because fact into doubt won't go

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 29, 2018, 09:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

Thanks to them using a Toby Young lookalike in their adverts, I now associate TopCashback with dog turds.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 15, 2020, 12:18:34 PM
Thanks to the current advert, I now subconsciously associate Maltesers with dog turds.

Is that better or worse than associating them with spunking cocks?

paruses

I've ventured onto Five for the first time in years (is it still called Channel 5?). This is only catchup so ads shown are maybe a bit skewed but the gambling ads seem to have taken a bit of turn towards the responsible. Obvs this is no more than skin deep and there's probably all sorts of marketing trickery in it for brand awareness but the point of the ads is to show what features they have to stop you becoming instantly destitute if you play their games, rather than showing how much fun it is to gamble. Paddypower even give the obligatory FUN/stop tag a decent amount of screen time.

I wonder if in the current situation people have noticeably and consciously stopped spunking their money away on imaginary slot machines so now they need to drag them back in with the equivalent of being a Low-Fat-enjoy-yourself option for a bit of fun (but don't mention it's 80% sugar).

Icehaven

Quote from: paruses on October 16, 2020, 08:51:12 AM
I've ventured onto Five for the first time in years (is it still called Channel 5?). This is only catchup so ads shown are maybe a bit skewed but the gambling ads seem to have taken a bit of turn towards the responsible. Obvs this is no more than skin deep and there's probably all sorts of marketing trickery in it for brand awareness but the point of the ads is to show what features they have to stop you becoming instantly destitute if you play their games, rather than showing how much fun it is to gamble. Paddypower even give the obligatory FUN/stop tag a decent amount of screen time.

I wonder if in the current situation people have noticeably and consciously stopped spunking their money away on imaginary slot machines so now they need to drag them back in with the equivalent of being a Low-Fat-enjoy-yourself option for a bit of fun (but don't mention it's 80% sugar).

Yes it's basically "Got a gambling problem? Skint? Don't let that stop you, come one, we won't let you spend too much, pwomise, and it's not as if you can reach our limits then go on multiple other sites that we probably own too and do the same thing....wink."

I think I said this before earlier in the thread but the very fact that the emphasis in these ads is on playing safely and not overdoing it suggests that there's a higher proportion of regular gamblers that have what counts as a problem than, for example, regular drinkers or regular eaters of unhealthy food. Booze ads have Please Enjoy Responsibly in little writing at the end but none of them have the main thrust of the ad being how weak the beer is or how expensive the spirits are to stop you from getting too pissed (well OK there are some low-alcohol beer ads but they're not so blatant about trying to stop you ruining your life, I figure they're more for if you're driving). Maybe it's also because gambling issues have been high profile recently but as you say they're still advertising that they exist when it'd be better for anyone with a potential problem not to be reminded of them 20 times a day.

Jockice

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 15, 2020, 12:18:34 PM
Thanks to the current advert, I now subconsciously associate Maltesers with dog turds.

i always have done. Cos they're shit.

JesusAndYourBush

Pocket tap is back.  After about 3 times I managed to get the subtitles on in time.  Apparently it's "It's the pocket tap for our times."  What does that even mean?  Yes I know in the older Asda Price ads people tapped their pocket, but "for our times"... huh?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on October 23, 2020, 01:16:00 AM
Pocket tap is back.  After about 3 times I managed to get the subtitles on in time.  Apparently it's "It's the pocket tap for our times."  What does that even mean?  Yes I know in the older Asda Price ads people tapped their pocket, but "for our times"... huh?
No more going around tapping random women's bottoms, I guess.

Fambo Number Mive

That gambling add where they say its about getting them to line up came up on Youtube yesterday. Is't it quite worrying that the bloke in the ad is looking at a petrol pump and thinking about gambling? Also, surely you dont' "get" them to line up, it's not like you do anything to affect those type of gambling outlets.

DrGreggles

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on October 23, 2020, 01:16:00 AM

I once bought a piece of tat from a market in Sri Lanka because the guy selling it said "I give you good price. I give you ASDA price.", then did the pocket tap.
Well worth 3 quid.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 29, 2020, 04:47:37 PM
I once bought a piece of tat from a market in Sri Lanka because the guy selling it said "I give you good price. I give you ASDA price.", then did the pocket tap.
Well worth 3 quid.

Because Colombo is a well known destination for its Asda stores.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: paruses on October 16, 2020, 08:51:12 AM
Indeed. Sleazy as fuck, it is. I expect the bean counters at these online dens of vice worked out that it's more profitable to take 5% of people's earnings for years than to bankrupt them in one go.
Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 29, 2020, 12:28:05 PM
That gambling add where they say its about getting them to line up came up on Youtube yesterday. Is't it quite worrying that the bloke in the ad is looking at a petrol pump and thinking about gambling? Also, surely you dont' "get" them to line up, it's not like you do anything to affect those type of gambling outlets.
Yep, that ad is particularly terrible. The bloke acting like he's got nerves of steel, when all he's doing is ordering a big sandwich (and you say "Twist", not "Hit me" ffs). And the tone of desperation as the woman says "I'm going to bet it all on black. No, red!"

Also, what's up with the woman looking at the petrol pump bloke? Is she meant to be admiring him?

Jockice

I'm quite proud of the fact I've never set foot in an Asda in my life.  Not that I have anything against Asda, it's just never happened. The one in Spondon sounds great though.

Uncle TechTip

I think the gambling companies are simply doing all they can to avoid further government regulation and restrictions on advertising, by demonstrating how thoughtful they are. All the companies seemed to do a responsible advert recently, on tv and radio. Probably something led by their lobby group. The funniest example was Sky Bet with Matt Le Tissier and Phil Thompson off Soccer Saturday - they made them do that and sacked them months later.

Why is the woman on that Captain Morgan rum advert dressed as Thing 1 and/or Thing 2?

turnstyle

My kids have been exposed to the advert that continually plays on kiddy TV for a shitting flamingo toy, and now are badgering me about purchasing said shitting flamingo toy for Christmas.

It's a flamingo, sat on a bog, curling out a horrific looking turd.

Is this really what Jesus would have wanted?

Gurke and Hare

Did not Jesus say "Let the little children come unto me and do not hinder them, that I may give them a shitting flamingo toy"? It's just I Vant To Bite Your Finger for the COVID era, really when you think about it.

Danny and Presuming Ed finally got their prototype made.

"s'orrible, really, but they like that, the little girls."

seepage

Quote from: turnstyle on November 02, 2020, 01:54:51 PM
My kids have been exposed to the advert that continually plays on kiddy TV for a shitting flamingo toy, and now are badgering me about purchasing said shitting flamingo toy for Christmas.

It's a flamingo, sat on a bog, curling out a horrific looking turd.

Is this really what Jesus would have wanted?

I didn't believe you until I googled 'shitting flamingo toy'...

JarrowMonkey

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on October 30, 2020, 10:01:59 AM
Because Colombo is a well known destination for its Asda stores.

One more question.....

Pseudopath

Quote from: seepage on November 02, 2020, 07:49:28 PM
I didn't believe you until I googled 'shitting flamingo toy'...

I'm actually quite impressed by how well it introduces magic sand to a whole new generation. Teaching kids to that it's OK to eat their own shit however...

Phil_A

There's one of those many life insurance ads doing the rounds on Freeview channels which stood in my mind as particularly odd. In it the spokeswoman for whichever company it is is inexplicably delivering her pitch in some couple's bedroom while they're both still in bed. The guy in it reacts to her presence like he's just the seen the spectre of death hanging over him, it's completely bizarre.

I keep waiting for this one to pop up again but it never seems to, I'd love to know what this was for and who thought it was a good idea.

paruses

Am seeing the Estrella ad a lot. It features a woman dancing gracefully underwater who then starts to drown because of pollution. There are a couple of identical ads but with a different caption before. I know one is "1.Soul".

Always reminds me of the ad agency's version of Mr. Plow that is nothing to do with snow ploughs.

gilbertharding

I was thinking that they don't really use poems in adverts anymore. Like the kind of shitty little verses you still get in the birthday cards your Nana sends you (probably). Oh, sure - there's the 'Here's to the...' poems. And there's the Nationwide pErFoRmAnCe PoEtS.

Then I saw the one for Philips Shavers, about "Some days are rugged, but other days are Smooth".

It's brilliant - but I haven't seen it for ages, and it's not on youtube... the last line proves it's definitely poetry, because they rearrange the words in the sentence into an order which only makes sense if you're trying to make something rhyme - like POETRY!

If anyone sees it (I accept I'm cursed never to see it again) could they please try to remember it, and type it out here?

Pseudopath

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 03, 2020, 11:24:14 AM
Then I saw the one for Philips Shavers, about "Some days are rugged, but other days are Smooth".

I'm on a work conference call at the moment so can't check the audio, but is it this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMBRjburN4c

EDIT: Sounds like they rhyme the word "right" with itself three times at the end there. Not impressed.

gilbertharding

No, not that one, I'm afraid. Not seen that one on the telly.

I'll keep watching. Thanks anyway.

Pseudopath

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 03, 2020, 03:23:02 PM
No, not that one, I'm afraid. Not seen that one on the telly.

It's obviously part of the same campaign (possibly the US version). This sounds like it might be the UK version (and the rugged/smooth thing is closer to your description): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn655GBRoKY

"If you're a man who are the uncompromising kind", then this is probably the advert you were hoping you would find.

gilbertharding

YES!

Well done. It's more subtle than it should be - but why did it have to rhyme at all?

Why not go full Birds Eye Singing Vegetables?

Fambo Number Mive

Using Spotify for about half an hour a couple of nights ago, there were three "get ready for Brexit" ads during this time which I think were aimed at business. Did seem a bit pointless repeating the ad so many times to somebody who may not have a business.

Also an ad for one of the playlists Spotify makes for me, I already listen to this playlist so not sure why they needed to tell me twice.

Icehaven

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 03, 2020, 11:24:14 AM

Why not go full Birds Eye Singing Vegetables?

While we're on the subject of that, that ads been changed. Previously the second to last line was sung with a big emphasis on the last word (can't remember what it was, possibly "juicyyyyyyyy!") but now it's at the same tone and level all the way through. I don't think anything else has changed so it's as if they just re-recorded the song with that one tiny alteration for some unfathomable reason.