Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:45:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cab Men II: Because fact into doubt won't go

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 29, 2018, 09:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

If you're a proper cyclist you'll have a smart turbo trainer and a Zwift subscription... I have no idea how the costs compare.  Neither of these things are advertised on TV.

Icehaven

Just seen a new ad still using that 'Leddit shiyyyne" song, that's got to be a decade old at least?

paruses

Saw it mentioned in a different thread in passing but Jessica Knappett is advertising Walkers. But not as herself, as a sort of yummy mummy/hot mess hybrid character. Might just seem weird to me because I see her as a Name now and it seems like she's just jobbing.

gilbertharding

Asim Chaudhry is in an advert for Walkers too - playing a roofer or steeplejack or something. Walkers, innit. They always have big names in their adverts.

What was that booze (?) Jessica Knappett was flogging a few years back?

(isn't 'yummy mummy/hot mess' kind of a good working summary of her comic persona anyway?)

paruses

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 15, 2021, 09:32:55 PM
Asim Chaudhry is in an advert for Walkers too - playing a roofer or steeplejack or something. Walkers, innit. They always have big names in their adverts.

What was that booze (?) Jessica Knappett was flogging a few years back?

(isn't 'yummy mummy/hot mess' kind of a good working summary of her comic persona anyway?)

Is that Asim Chaudry? I only have half a memory of half watching it.

I think the fact that it's so close to her comic persona but it's not her explicitly playing her comic persona is what makes is jarring. I was thinking about it after I posted it and trying to work out why it stuck out so much. Sanjeev Bhaskar doesn't jar in all those QuickBooks (?) ads and I think he's playing a character in those.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: paruses on April 15, 2021, 11:38:57 PM
Sanjeev Bhaskar doesn't jar in all those QuickBooks (?) ads and I think he's playing a character in those.
Not too sure if Bhaskar is being a character or not (maybe slightly?), but as in The Kumars at No 42 he's good at blending a character with his actual personality, which is probably why he's less awful.

seepage

"Join a Nuffield Health Gym today and pay no activation fee". What activation fee? What the hell is that about?

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: seepage on May 02, 2021, 08:39:44 AM
"Join a Nuffield Health Gym today and pay no activation fee". What activation fee? What the hell is that about?

to activate the pesonal trainers super judgemental streak when you're e taken on your induction.

dissolute ocelot

Not sure if this is the best thread, but there's an Etsy TV ad featuring a painting of a dog which is very Hans-like.

El Unicornio, mang

"Listen man, would you moind puttin' on your seatbelt?"

If you watch dodgy football streams (or live in Ireland), you know this ad well.

Icehaven

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 09, 2021, 11:14:10 AM
Not sure if this is the best thread, but there's an Etsy TV ad featuring a painting of a dog which is very Hans-like.

Businesses making them have been all over facebook (and elsewhere I daresay) for years, you send them a picture of your pet and pay a silly price and they send you a picture of it in uniform or dressed like the queen or whatever. As if you couldn't just stick a cutout of your pet's head on an existing picture and get the exact same result (which is probably all they do anyway)

Captain Z

Channel 4 keep running an advert for their 4OD streaming service which is just a mish-mash of very quick clips from various shows. But the Father Ted clip has been edited badly and plays a microsecond of the theme tune before it cuts to the next. It's really annoying me.

JesusAndYourBush

The ads I find really jarring are those that take a well known piece of music but edit it because they only have 30 seconds and they only want to use certain bits, and in doing so they fuck up the beat.  I can't think of any current  examples but a few years ago I remember one doing it with a Hendrix song.

Jerzy Bondov

I've had an on/off obsession with this AA ad where they do You've Got A Friend and cut the gaps between the lines right back so it all fits in and the way it totally fucks my brain. I want to do a whole album of songs like this.

Captain Z

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 12, 2021, 03:19:39 PM
The ads I find really jarring are those that take a well known piece of music but edit it because they only have 30 seconds and they only want to use certain bits, and in doing so they fuck up the beat.  I can't think of any current  examples but a few years ago I remember one doing it with a Hendrix song.

The current "Let It Shine" example from just a few posts ago does exactly this.

buttgammon

I love these Soviet ads from the perestroika days, especially the menswear one. They look inept to modern eyes but there's a charm there that is entirely absent in a lot of recent ads.

An tSaoi

The walkman with two headphone jacks is a great idea. Did anyone ever do that for mp3 players?

jenna appleseed

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 09, 2021, 11:14:10 AM

Probably the same person Hans' owner got his painting from in the first place.

Icehaven

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 12, 2021, 03:19:39 PM

There's a current perfume ad that does this with Rapper's Delight, at the end it goes back to bit from earlier in the song and isn't edited quite right so it skips a few beats and just sounds generally shoddy.

mothman

M&S have been doing these mini-infomercials during the Channel 4 news. It's some trendily-accented chef (who's probably an actor) and an interviewer who seems to model her wooden interactions and palpable disinterest in cooking on Chris Kelly in the 1980s Food & Drink. They're out and about with a trendy mini-airstream caravan cooking "local" food - so this week they were in Jersey trying to make Jersey Royals sound interesting and look appetising (I fucking hate new potatoes). I want to see this pair of smug cunts shoved into that fucking caravan, the remaining space filled with muddy new potatoes, and the whole shebang fired into the sun.

seepage

^ "ITV weather presenter Lucy Verasamy and foodie Chris Barber" apparently.

DrGreggles

ebay ad
old woman refers to a second-hand bike as "pre-loved"
fuck off, cunt

mothman

Yes, where the fuck does that come from anyway? I first encountered in New Zealand years ago, but now it's everywhere. And what does it MEAN? OK, I know what it means, but what's the etymology? Pre-loved? Pre-graved, more like.

DrGreggles

Sounds like it'd have spunk on the seat.

Uncle TechTip

Not as bad as "upcycled" though, which just means "changed".

imitationleather

mothman

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 20, 2021, 07:12:12 PM
Sounds like it'd have spunk on the seat.

Extra-specially eww given I first encountered the term in the context of a second-hand - sorry, "pre-loved" - children's clothes store a Kiwi friend's sister had set up!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

What is the deal with those Brand Power adverts? Totally basic, no frills efforts, usually for stuff that already has fancier looking ads running. Are they made by some discount marketing agency, or is it some sort of reverse psychology thing?

Also, that Alpecin shampoo. The adverts never actually say that it's meant to cure baldness even though they do their damnedest to imply it does. Don't be fooled, baldies.