Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:15:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cab Men II: Because fact into doubt won't go

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 29, 2018, 09:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronzy

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 20, 2021, 11:59:59 PM
What is the deal with those Brand Power adverts? Totally basic, no frills efforts, usually for stuff that already has fancier looking ads running. Are they made by some discount marketing agency, or is it some sort of reverse psychology thing?

An explanation from some guy on Reddit:

QuoteBrand power buys commercial space in bulk and then makes ads in smaller blocks for other companies who don't need or can't afford the full advertisement time.

Buying the adspace in bulk means they can negotiate a better price. For example it is common that a tv channel may have a minimum buy of six 30 second ad spots. Brand A can only afford 2 adspots. So they buy 2 adspots from brand power, who sell the rest to Brand B and C.

gilbertharding

Quote from: mothman on May 20, 2021, 06:56:37 PM
Yes, where the fuck does that come from anyway? I first encountered in New Zealand years ago, but now it's everywhere. And what does it MEAN? OK, I know what it means, but what's the etymology? Pre-loved? Pre-graved, more like.

I thought it was one of the many euphemisms coined by Rolls Royce (eg - they don't break down, they 'fail to proceed'. The company never quoted performance or power figures for their engines, instead saying that they were 'sufficient'. A Rolls Royce isn't second hand, or 'used' - it has been previously cherished).

gilbertharding

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 20, 2021, 11:59:59 PM
Also, that Alpecin shampoo. The adverts never actually say that it's meant to cure baldness even though they do their damnedest to imply it does. Don't be fooled, baldies.

Thought it was for dandruff.

I don't have much use for shampoo myself these days, but have bought Alpecin for that reason. It tingles. No visible signs of sorting out the old Chrome Dome though.

gilbertharding

Lots of cheaply-produced adverts on telly at the moment for burglar alarms.

The call centre one - where the operator instantly knows that the caller has just been burgled. And the frankly odd one with the two dads on the doorstep: "Yes! I'll definitely do that!" because he's worried about his kids being stolen (?).

I always thought there are two kinds of people in the world: ones with burglar alarms, and ones without. I wonder how many of the first group are only in that group because they've been burgled.

Fr.Bigley

Tv advertising is the cheapest it has ever been, more is spent on social media advertising than traditional broadcast at present. Fuck, I could even afford a slot between countdown selling my own piss.

Icehaven

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on May 21, 2021, 01:30:26 PM
Tv advertising is the cheapest it has ever been, more is spent on social media advertising than traditional broadcast at present. Fuck, I could even afford a slot between countdown selling my own piss.

On the mornings when I'm in work I watch Cheers on C4 at about 6.30-7.30 while I'm getting ready, and there are no adverts. There's still a break halfway through but it's just one ad for a C4 programme then back to the show. Suits me but I'm surprised literally no one thinks it's worth paying for ads in that slot, surely there's at least a few thousand people watching?

seepage

Sometimes the Ch4 app doesn't play any ads for ages except the short ones for the company sponsoring the program, then dumps 5 minutes worth in one go. Didn't get any on Ch5 recently either. Mind you, I was watching Gardening with Carol Klein, which probably isn't a goldmine for advertising.

Gulftastic

Can Paddy Power please stop trying to get 'Acca' to be a thing? Even Legend Garys won't use it.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Gulftastic on May 22, 2021, 05:03:57 PM
Can Paddy Power please stop trying to get 'Acca' to be a thing? Even Legend Garys won't use it.

It's because retards can't say accumulator

neveragain

"He's me doggeee."

Anyone else annoyed by that advert?

Fambo Number Mive

Hayu advert on Spotify

"Hey you. Reality TV, yeah? Like duh..."

Pulled out my headphones at that point. Why do so many adverts treat the viewer/listener like they are an idiot*? Probably because most people involved in advertising think the average person is an idiot.

*not saying people are idiots for liking reality TV, it's the phrasing that comes across as patronising.

Kevin Bacon's bizarre ee advert using technology to shave a man in Wales with a robotic arm powered by a barber in London.

seepage

Haven't seen it, but is that EE's attempt at another tenuous 5G use case?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on May 27, 2021, 10:12:17 PM
Kevin Bacon's bizarre ee advert using technology to shave a man in Wales with a robotic arm powered by a barber in London.
Fairly sure they don't have 5g in rural Wales.

buttgammon

The French Open always brings bad ads to my attention: this time, it's one for the BritBox streaming service that uses Enola Gay by OMD as background music. They do realise it's about Hiroshima, right?

Captain Z

This fucking yodelling Dominos ad I swear to god...

Icehaven

Quote from: Captain Z on June 24, 2021, 06:56:58 PM
This fucking yodelling Dominos ad I swear to god...

Bud-Wei-Ser and "Wasssuppppp!!" were fucking years ago, it's ridiculous to still be trying to replicate that kind of thing.

gilbertharding

Quote from: gilbertharding on May 21, 2021, 12:56:07 PM
Lots of cheaply-produced adverts on telly at the moment for burglar alarms.

The call centre one - where the operator instantly knows that the caller has just been burgled. And the frankly odd one with the two dads on the doorstep: "Yes! I'll definitely do that!" because he's worried about his kids being stolen (?).

I always thought there are two kinds of people in the world: ones with burglar alarms, and ones without. I wonder how many of the first group are only in that group because they've been burgled.

On and on they go, with different very bad actors. This time at a dinner party.

"Yes, we'll definitely get a burglar alarm fitted before we go on holiday tomorrow."

mothman

That just makes me think of The Good Life Christmas episode where Margot is genuinely confounded to learn that no, everything she needs won't be delivered ON Christmas Day, because the lower orders all get the day off too.

El Unicornio, mang

That Grolsch ad that's been playing a lot during the Euros. Seems like such an odd choice of music, like something that would only appeal to American guys in the 90s who want to be into grunge but find Nirvana and Pearl Jam too intellectually challenging.

kalowski

The fucking Euros means I have to watch ITV from time to time (ie when a game is on ITV) so I have just seen a horrible ad for McDonald's where everyone is eating a Big Mac or similar shit and laughing away, apart form a "touching" moment where I think people are shedding a little tear. Fucking advert for twats. If I was eating a McDonald's I wouldn't be laughing I'd be throwing myself off a bridge.

Gurke and Hare

And thanks to sign language. even deaf people can eat McDonald's!

Poobum

Fed up of the YouTube ad where a dead eyed Wayne Bridge aggressively presents his crotch, don't need it.

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: Poobum on July 03, 2021, 06:33:23 PM
Fed up of the YouTube ad where a dead eyed Wayne Bridge aggressively presents his crotch, don't need it.

Ahh, that's who that awful man is!  He looks utterly dead inside.  I have been bombarded with ads featuring this deeply unhappy looking couple for months now.  Why would this make me want to buy anything??  I'm fine for grey trackie bottoms and dead eyes thanks ebay...

Cuntbeaks

That FUCKING yodelling Domino's ad has ensured I'll never buy another one of their shit pizzas ever again. Made by cunts, for cunts.

The card payment ad, where the woman has a small card reader to enable her and her fucking business. Not sure who it was for. The "OOOOOHING" that follows is nothing short of battery acid in my eyes, particularly the first woman that does it. Absolutely horrific.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on July 05, 2021, 01:54:26 PM
Ahh, that's who that awful man is!  He looks utterly dead inside.  I have been bombarded with ads featuring this deeply unhappy looking couple for months now.  Why would this make me want to buy anything??  I'm fine for grey trackie bottoms and dead eyes thanks ebay...
Fuck, is that a celebrity? Those eBay adverts seem to be always on when I'm watching YouTube or All 4 or something, and all the clothes are really ugly and boring. I'd never know that grey joggers even existed if it wasn't for the brilliant fashion advice of eBay. (But I guess that sums up eBay, it promises the world and it's just 20 people all selling the exact same horrible things.)

Gulftastic

'I'm 32 and I've never smoked.' was obviously putting off too many, so it's become the less definitive 'non smoker'

Icehaven

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on July 05, 2021, 01:54:26 PM

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 05, 2021, 08:37:38 PM
Fuck, is that a celebrity? Those eBay adverts seem to be always on when I'm watching YouTube or All 4 or something, and all the clothes are really ugly and boring. I'd never know that grey joggers even existed if it wasn't for the brilliant fashion advice of eBay. (But I guess that sums up eBay, it promises the world and it's just 20 people all selling the exact same horrible things.)

Grey joggers are standard issue prison clothes. Simply get a few weeks for shoplifting and avoid having to obtain them through ebay at all.

Bently Sheds

The Tui advert where the voiceover says "We all know that only a  holiday abroad is a proper holiday" - fucking cunts, hope you go bust.

paruses

Not 100% on the details of this as I was falling asleep(or woke up as it was on) but Rightmove have an ad on that makes renting look fucking amazing - all John Lewis / Made furniture and the chance to chop and change where you live to suit your current lifestyle.

Before I passed out again I tried to remember the slogan but could only gasp "you absolute bunch of c".

I haven't rented for years but it was mostly shit and stressful then and from reading everything on here it hasn't got better.