Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,314
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:30:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cab Men II: Because fact into doubt won't go

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 29, 2018, 09:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pseudopath

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 25, 2018, 09:19:01 AM
Didn't listen to the whole 11 minutes but it sounds like it, yeah. 'Car keys'. Ta.

Still can't remember which advert...

Budweiser, I reckon. Can't find it on YouTube, but there are a few Google results where people have asked about it: http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/which-bandsinger-did-the-budweiser-advert-song-in-the-80s-early-90s-that-started-got-some-money-in-my-pocket/1905924

Norton Canes

yesitsme

Quote from: Pseudopath on October 25, 2018, 09:37:06 PM
Budweiser, I reckon. Can't find it on YouTube, but there are a few Google results where people have asked about it: http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/which-bandsinger-did-the-budweiser-advert-song-in-the-80s-early-90s-that-started-got-some-money-in-my-pocket/1905924

Yeah, I was thinking beer or cider.  Budwieser does ring the bell now.

Icehaven

Why the hell are there so many toothpaste and toothbrush adverts on at the moment? We watch quite different channels and programmes so it's not a demographic thing, but all of them have endless ads of young women (and it's always women) blarting on about healthy mouth healthy me and the importance of gums and wanting whiter teeth and electric toothbrushes versus non-electric and on and on it goes, worse than mobile ads a few years ago.

DrGreggles

Quote from: icehaven on October 28, 2018, 04:57:48 PM
Why the hell are there so many toothpaste and toothbrush adverts on at the moment? We watch quite different channels and programmes so it's not a demographic thing, but all of them have endless ads of young women (and it's always women) blarting on about healthy mouth healthy me and the importance of gums and wanting whiter teeth and electric toothbrushes versus non-electric and on and on it goes, worse than mobile ads a few years ago.

I've got an electric toothbrush.
Not sure why - I don't even have any electric teeth.

mothman

Probably getting people to brush their teeth more, in preparation for further post-Brexit austerity when they cease NHS dental treatment. It has to happen, I'm afraid - back in the idealised glorious 1950s they want to take us back to, nobody had teeth anyway.

yesitsme

If it's not toothbrush ads it's vacuum cleaner ads.

Bushing - hovering.  Nae wunner everyone has OCDs these days.

Clownbaby

I'm so sick of that advert with the woman talking about the difference between big and small. Ive seen it so many times and I still don't have a fucking clue what kind of point it's supposed to be making. She looks so pleased with herself as well

yesitsme

Nationwide are at it again I see.  Where do they find these cunts?

Icehaven

Quote from: Clownbaby on October 29, 2018, 09:42:20 AM
I'm so sick of that advert with the woman talking about the difference between big and small. Ive seen it so many times and I still don't have a fucking clue what kind of point it's supposed to be making. She looks so pleased with herself as well

We decided the other day that she's a low level drug dealer. Sitting in a parked car in a field with the door open in her bomber jacket, talking in code, waiting for kids walking home from school. Next thing they know they'll be in some dingy flat being told they only have to ''stay if you want to stay'' yet the doors are locked.

Clownbaby

Quote from: icehaven on October 29, 2018, 01:34:20 PM
We decided the other day that she's a low level drug dealer. Sitting in a parked car in a field with the door open in her bomber jacket, talking in code, waiting for kids walking home from school. Next thing they know they'll be in some dingy flat being told they only have to ''stay if you want to stay'' yet the doors are locked.

I'm going to remember what you said and treat it as canon for when I next watch the advert

gilbertharding

Quote from: icehaven on October 29, 2018, 01:34:20 PM

Yes! That supercilious half-smile on her face, daring you to go with her. I'm kind of tempted myself...

Trying to find out more about it (it's an early 80s Chevrolet Caprice) reveals that the production company behind it is called Rattling Stick, for which the people responsible need to be taken out and shot and their relatives are forced to watch.

mothman

Watching this compilation of Super Bowl ads, I was wondering... a) what did Super Bowl ads do in the days before big stars did commercials? And, b) what is it that makes so many of them quite so... naff?

https://youtu.be/XPt3uMaqG7c

BlodwynPig

Quote from: mothman on October 30, 2018, 10:49:00 PM
Watching this compilation of Super Bowl ads, I was wondering... a) what did Super Bowl ads do in the days before big stars did commercials? And, b) what is it that makes so many of them quite so... naff?

https://youtu.be/XPt3uMaqG7c

Have to watch two Youtube ads to watch a youtube video of ads.

Icehaven

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 30, 2018, 10:50:36 PM
Have to watch two Youtube ads to watch a youtube video of ads.

Yes the irony of this has struck me before. And you'd think they'd at least have the algorithm technology now to have the most recent ad for whatever products the ads in the video are for (if they still exist.)

Clownbaby

What is going on with the woman voicing the "all hail voxi" advert, I have to mute it when it comes on

Soup

Is this the place to put a vintage ad about  how sexy babies are?

"Because innocence is sexier than you think... for your baby, at Christmas."

Paedophilia was to the 70s what the Spice Girls were to the 90s.

gilbertharding

I was listening to TalkSport2 the other day. I wouldn't normally, but I thought there might be some cricket.

Anyway, someone's re-recorded the song What's That Coming Over the Hill is it a Monster (Is it a Monster?)? by the group Automatic so the chorus goes "What's that coming over the hill - Van Monster (van Monster)", presumably in an effort to sell vans to people who want to buy vans.

Completely baffling.

Vodka Margarine

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 01, 2018, 06:01:38 PM
I was listening to TalkSport2 the other day. I wouldn't normally, but I thought there might be some cricket.

Anyway, someone's re-recorded the song What's That Coming Over the Hill is it a Monster (Is it a Monster?)? by the group Automatic so the chorus goes "What's that coming over the hill - Van Monster (van Monster)", presumably in an effort to sell vans to people who want to buy vans.

Completely baffling.

It all started with 'Another One Drives A Duster'. Now the replacing-a-word-in-a-famous-song-with-the-name-of-a-car genie is well truly out of the lamp. If I knew the first thing about cars in 2018 I could probably reel off a dozen or so just in my lunch break.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on November 01, 2018, 11:57:26 PM
It all started with 'Another One Drives A Duster'. Now the replacing-a-word-in-a-famous-song-with-the-name-of-a-car genie is well truly out of the lamp. If I knew the first thing about cars in 2018 I could probably reel off a dozen or so just in my lunch break.

The Pogues - Fiesta
Jane's Addiction - Of Corsa
Bob Marley and the Wailers - Kadjar Be Loved
The Saturdays - up!
Laurie Anderson - O Superb Man
Cliff Richard - It Astra Be You, It Astra Be Me
Tinie Tempah - Passat
Kid Creole and the Coconuts - Annie I'm Not Your Caddy
Starsailor - fortwo The Floor
Kelis - Caught Out There (i8 You So Much Right Now)

There that's ten. Invoice to follow. Payment on publication.

lebowskibukowski

The new Jacamo ads that book end the adverts on one of the satellite channels are particularly awful. 'Pretend-lad-mate-gentle-banter' seems to have been a trope for a few years now and it is absolutely soul-sapping.

gilbertharding

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on November 02, 2018, 11:01:43 AM
The new Jacamo ads that book end the adverts on one of the satellite channels are particularly awful. 'Pretend-lad-mate-gentle-banter' seems to have been a trope for a few years now and it is absolutely soul-sapping.

"Alright mate coming down the footie?"

I will concede that some people sometimes called football 'footie'. But Kevin Bacon? Fuck off.

Chollis

Bogbrainedmurphy

I actually quite liked that different version of Olive - You're Not Alone for a bit, until it came on every 10 minutes. Ta, Lloyds.

Bogbrainedmurphy

Bronzy

gmoney

Quote from: Clownbaby on October 29, 2018, 09:42:20 AM

I hate hate hate this advert with every atom of my mass. I've sworn off ever getting a Giff Gaff sim card. I would love to have been around in the meetings where they came up with this, and thought it was the best way to sell something.

A good friend of mine and former housemate is in the new series of Iceland ads. I hope I'm not starstruck next time I see him.

Bronzy

Quote from: gmoney on November 09, 2018, 08:49:36 PM
A good friend of mine and former housemate is in the new series of Iceland ads. I hope I'm not starstruck next time I see him.

He'll have Goodfella's pizzas coming out of his ears and arsehole, the lucky bastard.

Isnt Anything

Channel 4 sponsorship bumpers.

Have hated the fucking glitzy monaco style spy thriller bollocks ones for ages

but

tonight my tolerance for the other ones suddenly out of nowhere snapped and so

tonight i was entertaining fantasies of getting every single one of those bizarre objects - pot plants, chainsaws, traffic lights, etc etc - that ludicrously and seamlessly dive into the sides of that stupid red car, and shoving every single one of them up the bottoms of the creatives who thought of them

'ABSORB THESE, YOU FUCKERS !!!'

Yes.

gmoney

Quote from: Bronzy on November 10, 2018, 02:01:06 AM
He'll have Goodfella's pizzas coming out of his ears and arsehole, the lucky bastard.

I've just realised it's actually the new Argos ads. No pizza for him :(