Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:05:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cab Men II: Because fact into doubt won't go

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 29, 2018, 09:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

I'm sure the old wifie in the sun life insurance ad used to say "Oh yes, I've seen the adverts on telly, with Parky" but now she just says "yes I've seen the adverts on telly." What can have happened, that they dare not speak his (nick)name?

the

Probably contractual. Anyway, Mumble Platitudes advertises teabags now instead of bodybags.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Rizla on March 26, 2019, 12:01:15 PM
I'm sure the old wifie in the sun life insurance ad used to say "Oh yes, I've seen the adverts on telly, with Parky" but now she just says "yes I've seen the adverts on telly." What can have happened, that they dare not speak his (nick)name?

Maybe they realised "av seen the ads wi parkie" is extremely grating to hear 4 times in every single ad break

dr beat

Noticing a trend for pop stars shilling economy cars. Well, Paloma Faith and Shaggy and Sting. Doesn't work.

Captain Z

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 23, 2019, 12:04:15 PM
Now their cunt Monopoly game is back and there's a new advert where everyone's going round twitching their finger going 'peely peely!'

Somewhere in the last 15 years was an advert that had a very similar voice saying 'Piri piri', [tag]I CAN NOT REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS FOR[/tag] but when I overhear that McDonalds ad I'm reminded of it.

paruses

Quote from: dr beat on March 27, 2019, 11:52:13 AM
Noticing a trend for pop stars shilling economy cars. Well, Paloma Faith and Shaggy and Sting. Doesn't work.

PF was called out (that's right, called out) by someone on Jason Manford's radio programme about this. The gist was that the listener had seen her and JM on something  a few years ago where she had a go at him for being into cars or driving a particular car or something and mounted her high horse about how bad cars were for the environment and he should re-examine his lifestyle.

It pleased me. Just like reading a Nevermind the Buzzcocks review where they asked of her appearance sitting next to Noel Fielding: "imagine the amount of self-satisfaction concentrated in that tiny area".

This is just me having a go at Paloma Faith now. I have nothing else to add.

[Fake Edit - yes I do. Will be in the next post]

paruses

I don't have the strength to go back over the last 17 pages to check but has anyone else noticed that the Freeview ad which mashes up lots of stars from various programmes CGId into a montage of them on a highway is the David Brent team-building seminar day song?

You must have done. I think that's one of the funniest bits of The Office - the whole Tim, Gareth, David interaction but pisses me off that Gervais will be really pleased with it being used.

gilbertharding

Sad to say, but Free Love on the Free Love Highway is actually quite a good song. That is to say, it's a close enough pastiche of something you can imagine one of the Eagles might have recorded after the Eagles split up... the comedy of it is knowing a tubby paper salesman from Reading is the singer, rather than any actual jokes in the lyrics.

paruses

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 27, 2019, 12:18:41 PM
Sad to say, but Free Love on the Free Love Highway is actually quite a good song. That is to say, it's a close enough pastiche of something you can imagine one of the Eagles might have recorded after the Eagles split up... the comedy of it is knowing a tubby paper salesman from Reading is the singer, rather than any actual jokes in the lyrics.

Yes exactly - I have to say it took me several listens of the ad to be confident that it wasn't an Eagles-type thing that I was just misidentifying. Think that's where my annoyance comes from .

Still, it was from when I liked Gervais  so I will look at it in that context.

Currently chuckling to myself at the "none of them was you... //What, you? // No. He's looking at a photograph. // Of you? " bit.

buzby

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 26, 2019, 11:42:48 AM
I'd love to know if the same team behind the Peely Peely thing are the same as the ones behind Dilly Dilly. I'd also love to know how they fucking sleep at night.
Dilly Dilly was by Wieden & Kennedy for Bud Light. It had been a massive success in the US (enough to rival the 'Wazzup' campaign) but fell flat on it's arse when they tried it over here.
Peely Peely is by Leo Burnett London.
They are advertising 'creatives' so they have no conscience whatsover and sleep like logs.

paruses

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 27, 2019, 12:18:41 PM

Supplementary - you're right about the lyrics and it's the ambiguity of the line that's funny not the line and the rest of the comedy is external it. That's where the Gyspy song in Life on the Road falls down massively - there's a deliberately comic exchange in it about her being a hooker (prostitute Gervais, you're not in LA now) and him being confused and indignant which wouldn't be in a straight song.

Like when you get narrative bits in prose that are along the lines "then we went to the pub. Er, sorry to church" - if you'd made a mistake you'd cross it out before sending it to the publisher.

gilbertharding

Obviously it's not good good: It's risible. But it's credible, and it's delivered straight.

McFlymo

Quote from: paruses on March 27, 2019, 12:28:40 PM
Yes exactly - I have to say it took me several listens of the ad to be confident that it wasn't an Eagles-type thing that I was just misidentifying. Think that's where my annoyance comes from .

Which reminds me: Has anyone spotted the rip off of Wonderwall that opens the "After Life" trailer on Netflix. I know there's a million of these "sound-a-like" things for Oasis, but if this isn't actually an Oasis song, then it's a fairly horrifying rip-off, rather than general "vibe" of the original, it is the exact sound of the first two chords of Wonderwall. ... It's possibly another Oasis song though, which would simply make it a case of Noel Gallagher ripping himself off, then Ricky Gervais using it to garner "feels" from "CUNTS".

Icehaven

Quote from: McFlymo on March 27, 2019, 08:33:36 PM
Which reminds me: Has anyone spotted the rip off of Wonderwall that opens the "After Life" trailer on Netflix. I know there's a million of these "sound-a-like" things for Oasis, but if this isn't actually an Oasis song, then it's a fairly horrifying rip-off, rather than general "vibe" of the original, it is the exact sound of the first two chords of Wonderwall. ... It's possibly another Oasis song though, which would simply make it a case of Noel Gallagher ripping himself off, then Ricky Gervais using it to garner "feels" from "CUNTS".

I've only ever heard the first few seconds before turning it off so I just thought it was Wonderwall. Slightly want to seek it out now out of morbid curiousity but can't bring myself to do it.

The Nationwide poetry woman is annoying me. She should be doing an advert for Sudafed.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on March 14, 2019, 07:35:32 PM
The BA advert with all the National Treasure's talking about our green and pleasant land.

This was the best advert I have ever seen. Why? Because it means I'm not going insane the world is truly fucked and you know that millions will see that advert and have a little chuckle and then shed a tear of patriotism and then a warm feeling and go "that was geeeeeeenius!" and those are the people that did that vote a couple years back that fucked the rest of us. I'm not a nutter. I can live in this sharps disposal receptacle of a country knowing that even as my body wastes away my brain remained at least intact enough to know what was going on there. The obviousness of it physically hurts.

Twed

Jesus Christ

The bit where some gay men are holding hands, and say "of all kinds". When is this idea that this is a good, modern approach to gay rights going to die out? It's fucking tokenising bullshit, they've just taken the words "it takes all kinds don't it" and made some gay men say it so you'll buy more plane tickets. Fuck.

Olivia Coleman can absolutely get to fuck with her twee English shite, too. "And rather a lot of tea!". Paddington is a more realistic human being. "Oh diddly do, a reward for little old me! I grew up scrubbing steps (inbetween Cambridge University and private school), any little girl can be where I am too, even though the industry relies on promoting a very select few to icon status and there's no room for you here, sorry".

Also please show me the consent forms David Bowie signed several years in advance that said he'd like his image to be used to hawk for corporations.

Twed

Quote from: imitationleather on March 17, 2019, 08:38:17 PM
In that Matt Berry-narrated Money Supermarket one I assume they were like, "Matt, just talk like you do in Toast of London for thirty seconds."
"Matt Berry, please do that single thing you know how to do"

seepage

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on March 29, 2019, 08:48:12 PM
The Nationwide poetry woman is annoying me. She should be doing an advert for Sudafed.

Yes, that ad is very irritating.

Fambo Number Mive

So a watch company have brought out a "Centwrist" watch, half of the dial is blue and half is red and the tagline is "Half Conservative, Half Labour".

Normalising centrisim and TIG while selling watches.

gilbertharding

Has anyone else seen the Guide Dog advert with the little girl playing football yet or is it just me?

I hope the people responsible never turn their powers of emotional manipulation to evil purposes, that's all.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 03, 2019, 01:29:11 PM
So a watch company have brought out a "Centwrist" watch, half of the dial is blue and half is red and the tagline is "Half Conservative, Half Labour".

Normalising centrisim and TIG while selling watches.

TIG Heuer?

Clownbaby

I fucking hate the Andrex advert where one time a kid felt as clean as a squid or something and the ad directors thought "oh we're onto something here" so they made many more adverts where kids adorably compare the clean feeling of Andrex to something ever so random like "a spoon in a circus" isn't it cute cause kids have big mad imaginations and a spoon or circus actually have nothing to do with feelings of cleanliness at all but in a child's imagination they DO. Oh little posh ginger girl you do say the darndest things. "Spoon in a circus" haha imagine that

FUCK OFF

Icehaven

Quote from: Clownbaby on April 04, 2019, 10:48:59 AM
I fucking hate the Andrex advert where one time a kid felt as clean as a squid or something and the ad directors thought "oh we're onto something here" so they made many more adverts where kids adorably compare the clean feeling of Andrex to something ever so random like "a spoon in a circus" isn't it cute cause kids have big mad imaginations and a spoon or circus actually have nothing to do with feelings of cleanliness at all but in a child's imagination they DO. Oh little posh ginger girl you do say the darndest things. "Spoon in a circus" haha imagine that

FUCK OFF

Aww come on, it's like they're on LSD or something!!!

boki

Plot twist: she didn't feel clean at all and her dad's a junkie trapeze artist

Sebastian Cobb

There's an advert I caught the other day for what I think was Wayfair but suspect isn't because I just checked their youtube and Lorraine Kelly definitely wasn't in it. Anyway the voiceover seemed a LOT like a knowing nod to the Benests of Milbrook and Fineprice geezer.

Gulftastic

Hipsters singing 'Together In Electric Dreams' for Strongbow can fuck off. RIGHT OFF.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 04, 2019, 07:42:14 PM
Hipsters singing 'Together In Electric Dreams' for Strongbow can fuck off. RIGHT OFF.

Came in to post about this.

DrGreggles

I hope those two Strongbow pricks, ruining 'Together in Electric Dreams' in a room full of gawping simpletons, bump into an irate Phil Oakey/Georgio Moroder combo in a dark alley and are thoroughly twatted.

mothman

"A remake of The Warriors, only set in the 1980s, and with a gang that model themselves on Phil Oakey and Giorgio Moroder..."