Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:00:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cab Men II: Because fact into doubt won't go

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 29, 2018, 09:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: Chollis on May 05, 2019, 05:38:53 PM
Akabusi

Akaboosty

I want to cave in his skull
Everyone in that advert should die in a threshing machine.

Clownbaby

Why have they decided to add a surplus gimmick to GoCompare with the people going ''fantastic!" ON TOP of the stupid Opera shit

lgpmachine

The Martin Freeman/Vodafone ads seem to have come full circle, as I saw the foreign wedding one ("No roaming charges...wheeeey...") the other day.

gilbertharding

Quote from: lgpmachine on May 05, 2019, 09:45:20 PM
The Tim from The Office/Vodafone ads seem to have come full circle, as I saw the foreign wedding one ("No roaming charges...wheeeey...") the other day.

Apparently two of the earlier ones have been 'banned' for being misleading - though not before they'd been shown thousands of times.

Ornlu

We'll always be together! Together in a pub full of thunderous beardy cunts singing and drinking Strongbow.

Sebastian Cobb

Jeff Bridges in these Amstel adverts makes me sad.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 11, 2019, 12:05:46 AM
Jeff Bridges in these Amstel adverts makes me sad.
Sounds like he's had a stroke.

Icehaven

There's a-bloody-nother ad with everyone dancing in formation to 'You Make My Dreams' by Hall and Oates, this time for some cider or other. That's about the third one in recent years, is it just because of the sequence in 500 Days Of Summer or are they just copying each other?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I made a Jeff Bridges CaB account a few years back where the brilliantly clever joke was that he only ever talked about bridges. This is proof that some robbing tosser at Amstel reads CaB and is a filthy fucking plagiarist who doesn't appreciate my genius enough to give me royalty money.

Icehaven

Trivago woman is in space now. Either Branson's finally got his arse into gear or that's false advertising, surely. 

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: buzby on March 27, 2019, 01:29:26 PM
They are advertising 'creatives' so they have no conscience whatsover and sleep like logs.

depends how much of a coke-bender they've been on, in order to summon their muse & meet the deadline for the client.
it's an odd game. I must dig out & digitise summat I recorded aeons ago, off BBC2... may've been a 'late show' special, "the death of advertising", where all these big brands had decided that advertising (in its then form) was infra dig & that they'd be taken more seriously by punters if they just upped & quit advertising. still waiting, guys, still waiting.

Quote from: icehaven on March 26, 2019, 11:53:20 AM
There's one on a bus stop near me with a QR code thing attached to the metal edge of the poster holder. Does anyone really scan those things?

the ones that are actually part of the bus-stop are useful. they really do tell you when the next bus is coming, accurate to within a minute most of the time. my mrs pointed them out in madrid, & I was then astonished to see them here in chiswick too.

Icehaven

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 21, 2019, 05:44:06 PM

the ones that are actually part of the bus-stop are useful. they really do tell you when the next bus is coming, accurate to within a minute most of the time. my mrs pointed them out in madrid, & I was then astonished to see them here in chiswick too.

Oh I thought they'd link to an ad/info about whatever was being advertised! Didn't know they were just bus info, but then I've got an app on my phone that does that.

gilbertharding

The Florette adverts for salad are weird, aren't they?

They used to remind me (visually - although the name of the product is suggestive too) of the film Jean de Florette which is unfortunate, if you've seen the utterly bleak film.

The new advert is the one with the Rap Battle between the small girl (is she the same small girl from the Robinsons Squash adverts? I liked her in those) and a huge lummox with a beard. I'm not sure what they represent. Two types of salad? Anyway, there's something about the way Beard Lummox moves when he's rapping which looks really odd. As if they've dubbed the audio in later (I know they have). And surely the fact he appears to beat the little girl can't be right...

Anyway: apparently 40% of all the bags of pre-washed salad leaves bought are thrown away unopened.

beanheadmcginty

How come when the old fella asks his Alexa "to play the song that goes 'Valerie'", the Amazon spy gadget knows to play the Amy Winehouse song and not Steve Winwood?

seepage

^ prob'ly default to playing the most recent version, which most people would be familiar with. But also, presumably Amazon's AI could guess the age of the user from their voice and play the older version if appropriate.

BritishHobo

Why does he do it at all? I don't understand the advert. Am I thick? I assumed the first time that he never fucking uses the thing, and he just puts it on when he sees son walking up the driveway so it seems like he always has it playing. That seems about appropriate in my experience.

gilbertharding

/\  /\  /\ I think that's the answer - but it's not a very good way of selling the things, is it?

Also - why is it never the Zutons version? And why is it when you do a google image search for The Zutons, the first suggestion for your next search is 'saxophone player'? Actually, I already know the answer to that...

Clownbaby

That new Boots advert with the song to the tune of I'm Coming Out is starting to annoy me, when the two ''ordinary'' lasses point up at the poster of the slim but still shapely model and sing ''nobody looks like that''

Yeah alright lasses you never ever see a size 8 woman out and about. Never ever, no, u n o b t a i n a b l e .  I'm sick of this oddly sniping angle that sometimes pops up with go guuurl body positive ads. The model isn't that much slimmer than they are anyway..

If they were going to make a point like that they should have pointed to a very obviously airbrushed and retouched size zero rib and titty model at least. Or better yet just stop with the drawing attention to women's shapes and just show the women in the ad arsing about on the beach being confident without the righteous undertone

gilbertharding

There's quite a few adverts at the moment exploiting celebrating women at increased risk of cancer and cardiovascular diseases who are realistic, or 'curvy'. Dove seem to be selling pictures of such people, for some reason.

There also seems to be a firm which (whatever it's really called) I like to think of as Lady Jacamo

Ah well.

Cerys

That Boots advert mostly pisses me off because of the terrible lyrics.  Someone got paid for those lyrics.  Meetings were held over those lyrics.  Someone sang those lyrics.  And at no point did anyone think 'hang on, Boots is not a shitty magazine such as might be lampooned through the medium of Photoshop on an Internet message board'.  I have cancelled my subscription to Boots as a result.

Icehaven

And when they're prancing down the beach they pass two women who actually do look ''like that". Obviously this being an advert the skinny minnies look on judgementally because all slim women think larger women should walk around in mumus, so to hell with them yeah girls? But it does kind of disprove the premise that 'nobody looks like that' when literally the next women you see in the ad do.

Clownbaby

The whole  thing is stupid. I hate this ''fuck skinny bitches am I right girls'' mentality that creeps into things sometimes. It's just a very childish tit for tat way of addressing body image. Thing is, when you see very obese models like Tess Holliday or whoever, people fail to realise that her size is as much of a dangerous extreme as size zero, just on the opposite end of the scale.

gilbertharding

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 30, 2019, 08:53:36 PM
Why does he do it at all? I don't understand the advert. Am I thick? I assumed the first time that he never fucking uses the thing, and he just puts it on when he sees son walking up the driveway so it seems like he always has it playing. That seems about appropriate in my experience.

I've watched it again and it's quite a nice story, in which the poor helpless old man hears his grandson/carer singing a song which goes 'Valerie' over and over again and decides to show him he's actually very grateful for how considerate the young man is by arranging to have his favourite tune playing as he arrives. He also proves that he can and does use the technology properly.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Clownbaby on June 02, 2019, 02:50:05 PM
The whole  thing is stupid. I hate this ''fuck skinny bitches am I right girls'' mentality that creeps into things sometimes. It's just a very childish tit for tat way of addressing body image. Thing is, when you see very obese models like Tess Holliday or whoever, people fail to realise that her size is as much of a dangerous extreme as size zero, just on the opposite end of the scale.

The absolutely awful Eva Wiseman covered this subject in her Observer Magazine column yesterday, here: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jun/02/the-trouble-with-woke-ads-is-theyre-just-another-cliche

Captain Crunch

Funny how all the token cripples have evaporated to make way for the lovable fatties isn't it? 

Cuntbeaks

I genuinely couldn't fucking stand those "hey, disableds like fucking too", Malteser adverts.

The deaf/dumb ones with their horrendous plappy mouth noises gave me the fucking bolk.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on June 11, 2019, 08:17:05 PM
I genuinely couldn't fucking stand those "hey, disableds like fucking too", Malteser adverts.

The deaf/dumb ones with their horrendous plappy mouth noises gave me the fucking bolk.

I don't like the lass on the left's badly acted reactions to the story in this one https://youtu.be/lYIEAIogarI

buttgammon

They're all awful, but the worst Maltesers ad remains that "just a snog" monstrosity. The second most hideous set of confectionery adverts after the M&Ms bollocks.

the

Quote from: buttgammon on June 12, 2019, 11:15:19 AMThe second most hideous set of confectionery adverts after the M&Ms bollocks.

What, more hideous than this? Have a word