Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:30:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cab Men II: Because fact into doubt won't go

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 29, 2018, 09:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardenio I

Quote from: icehaven on September 26, 2019, 01:59:31 PM
Does anyone know anyone who's ever bought one of these

My parents had one each. Had the rozzers booting the door of our gaffe down when I was about ten. Me, frozen, thumb in mouth; the riot squad, jackbootish and truncheoned, trampling over Gran. It sounds funny but all I could think as I watched them drag Mum and Dad away was "I told you. I told you it was only meant to be one per household."

Sebastian Cobb

Just seen Yazoo's Only You in a sentimental coke advert.

Isnt Anything

Quote from: Isnt Anything on July 07, 2019, 02:47:56 AM
help please

this american ad a friend sent me for reasons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qEl-lGfqds

what the fuck is the advert we use this music on over here ?

ta and thank you

any ideas anybody ? never did find out. thanks

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Isnt Anything on September 27, 2019, 01:13:30 AM

I remember seeing that commercial years ago & feeling sick then too. why on earth would you want to know who wrote that awful cloying twee racket? so you can avoid them elsewhere?

Isnt Anything

just so i can put it to rest in my brain sorry

i thought it was abbey national cos lifes complicated enough with alan davies but youtube said no. its newer than that anyway.

it sounds like penguins in a cafe but i dont think it is. more bothered about which advert it was used in than who made it but both would be good of course.

Icehaven

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 26, 2019, 11:53:10 PM
Just seen Yazoo's Only You in a sentimental coke advert.

The football one? Shudder. Although there's a bit where the music stops and the Cockney spiv says ''We don't sing, we're West Hayyyym.'' that I have on good authority is bollocks as he reminded me very much of an older version of someone I work with who's a huge West Hayyym hooligan supporter, and when I told him he laughed but assured me West Ham types sing louder than anyone.

Sebastian Cobb

Icehaven

Quote from: Isnt Anything on September 27, 2019, 01:13:30 AM

It sounds very similar to the music from an early iPhone ad (late 2000s probably)but it's not exactly the same.

Cerys

I'm pretty sure it's an ad for something relating to finance - a bank or building society, or perhaps insurance.

Isnt Anything

Yeah thats my feeling too. its driving me bonkers in the nut.

People's Postcode Lottery ads are both tragic and hilarious. The facial expression on the guy with the crutches who gets his cheque from Jeff Brazier is priceless.

Ornlu

You seen the Tetley advert with the realistic CG(?)-ified cat and dog drinking a cuppa and chatting while their owners are away?

Shit wordplay and chummy northern accents aside, there's just something about the personality they give the cat which bothers me. I've seen it before in countless real-life arseholes; it's so snarky and unpleasant while still presumably trying to be friendly, and I've no idea how this is supposed to appeal to actual people (unless of course they themselves are arseholes). Like, I know it's pointless to delve too deeply into these things but someone will have carefully wrote this dialogue to deliberately stir up positive feelings in potential consumers - but when one character says things like:

- ("Oh it's raining, what's that old saying?") "It's raining chaps and gals. Obviously."
- ("At least you don't have to go for a walk in this later...") "WELL IT'S YOUR OWN FAULT! YOU'RE ALWAYS WAGGING YOUR TAIL!"

Then what the F? This is meant to be a conversation between inter-species friends, right? Why is it so aggressively, one-sidedly negative? And how is this meant to make people want to buy the product?

This cat is a prick and I don't want to buy its fucking Tetley tea at all.

gilbertharding

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on October 21, 2019, 05:49:18 PM
People's Postcode Lottery ads are both tragic and hilarious. The facial expression on the guy with the crutches who gets his cheque from Jeff Brazier is priceless.

He looks as if someone's just told him they're going to check his hard drive. If we're thinking of the same bloke.

gilbertharding

Quote"Oh my God. Can't even. Those shoes are on POINT!"

Good Christ 2019 - what have you done?

Jockice

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on October 21, 2019, 05:49:18 PM

Is he the ancient teddy boy? Or is that someone else?

Icehaven

Oh here come the Christmas ads, and I'm already ambivalent about the Argos one. I'm usually hugely averse to ads using existing music, particularly music I actually like, however by using Simple Minds' "Don't You Forget About Me" they've at least made one more inevitably hideously repeated Xmas ad slightly more bearable by not inflicting Christmas music or any other mawkish pop crap on us 199 times a day, but a bearable and pleasingly unseasonable soft rock classic instead. Also I like the slightly self deprecating implication, "don't you forget about Argos, with all your online options, don't don't don't don't." etc.

Cerys

Christmas ads?  Famous Grouse the way they used to be or GTFO.

Phil_A

Argos have now started referring to their catalogue as The Book Of Dreams, presumably in reference to that Bill Bailey bit from years back. Odd.

"And why is it laminated? To catch the tears of joy!"

Icehaven

M&S's jumpers one is like a horror film where everyone gets possessed, I'm not convinced it wasn't pitched as a Halloween ad until they remembered basic middle aged people don't really do Halloween so switched it to Christmas. And what is "Go jumpers for Christmas" supposed to mean? It's not even a play on anything, it's just nonsense.

BritishHobo

That kind of ad makes me feel really claustrophobic, like being bullied into forced fun. Remember the Tesco one from a few years back where the family all bully the goth kid into wearing his cracker hat? Wankers.

EDIT: Hang on. Set up a thread for Christmas ads: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,76284.0.html

kalowski

My daughter has taken to listening to local commercial radio, specifically Heart North West. There's an advert on that is supposed to show that even with a bit of information missing, a Nando's is still desirable. So the bloke reads out the menu but some words are bleeped out. Perhaps it is the joke they were going for, but it gives the impression you can buy cock on the cob.

Camp Tramp

Now that I'm at my parents for Xmas I get to see a lot of adverts.
That Amazon Warehouse one turns my stomach. A reputation so bad they have to persuade people their workplaces aren't sweatshops.

buttgammon

Quote from: Camp Tramp on December 23, 2019, 03:14:27 PM
Now that I'm at my parents for Xmas I get to see a lot of adverts.
That Amazon Warehouse one turns my stomach. A reputation so bad they have to persuade people their workplaces aren't sweatshops.

There's a couple of creepy Amazon ads doing the rounds: both the warehouse one and the one where they have an insanely smiley delivery driver, presumably in some attempt to stop people thinking about their awful reputation for mistreating staff.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: buttgammon on December 23, 2019, 03:18:28 PM
There's a couple of creepy Amazon ads doing the rounds: both the warehouse one and the one where they have an insanely smiley delivery driver, presumably in some attempt to stop people thinking about their awful reputation for mistreating staff.

I thought Amazon used courier companies?

imitationleather

buttgammon

Quote from: imitationleather on December 23, 2019, 04:41:20 PM
It's Amazon Logistics round my way now.

As someone who knows quite a bit about logistics...I don't know how widespread this is but they're definitely introducing their own drivers, who I presume are disposable in the way DPD or DHL drivers aren't (UPS are dodgy from what I've gathered).

Icehaven

There seems to be something a bit sociopathic about a lot of the people in ads for dating apps. They're all unfeasibly attractive of course, but that's to be expected, but they come across as the kind of people who'd ask what your 5 year plan is on the first date. A guy is preparing food in a kitchen in one, and he stares straight into the camera and says something about taking things seriously in such a way that it makes you wonder who it is he's chopping up.

buttgammon

Quote from: icehaven on January 04, 2020, 05:36:45 PM
There seems to be something a bit sociopathic about a lot of the people in ads for dating apps. They're all unfeasibly attractive of course, but that's to be expected, but they come across as the kind of people who'd ask what your 5 year plan is on the first date. A guy is preparing food in a kitchen in one, and he stares straight into the camera and says something about taking things seriously, makes you wonder who it is he's chopping up.

Is that one of those hideous ones which market themselves as being for serious, successful people. Guaranteed wankers all round.

Icehaven

Quote from: buttgammon on January 04, 2020, 07:59:49 PM
Is that one of those hideous ones which market themselves as being for serious, successful people. Guaranteed wankers all round.

Probably yeah. Meet someone who's about as much fun as doing your tax returns.