Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:49:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cab Men II: Because fact into doubt won't go

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 29, 2018, 09:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

In the current EE Adverts with Kevin Bacons, the one where he somberly announces the free whatever to NHS employees, something occurred to me.

Because it's to do with The Virus, they've shot it as if it's been done on a laptop with a webcam, with a low angle and the improvised bacground. Except they obviously haven't, because it's all HD and properly lit. Except they've put some kind of filter on the sound, to make it sound like he's on the phone.

Gurke and Hare

"Everyone's got questions about equity release."

No they haven't. Do you really need this, Kevin Whately?

DrGreggles

As soon as lockdown is over I'm leaving the house with the same level of enthusiasm that a 70's teenager had when going to WH Smith.
https://youtu.be/kG1VxkKSEp4

Icehaven

Well it's taken a little under 4 weeks for virtually every ad to become a virus version and only vaguely fitting others remain (e.g. those sodding black horses galloping about to a whispering cover of "You're Not Alone", and ads for cleaning products). Everything else has been pulled so there must be less ads on rotation than there's ever been, given TV advertising was already in decline. So there's truly no escape now, even watching sitcom repeats on E4 to avoid the news you get reminders every 15 minutes that it's really 2020 and we're all fucked.

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 17, 2020, 06:01:49 PM
In the current EE Adverts with Kevin Bacons, the one where he somberly announces the free whatever to NHS employees, something occurred to me.

Because it's to do with The Virus, they've shot it as if it's been done on a laptop with a webcam, with a low angle and the improvised bacground. Except they obviously haven't, because it's all HD and properly lit. Except they've put some kind of filter on the sound, to make it sound like he's on the phone.

Yeah I'm suspicious about how a lot of these virus referencing ads have sprung up so fast too, surely they can't have been entirely produced from home?

C_Larence

Fuck everyone involved with the Kate Tempest Facebook advert. Another poet once referred to her as the Trump of poetry, but I think she's more like Hitler.

BritishHobo

I like the Tesco ad where they've slapped 'isolation' in the name of the recipe to make it look like it's crafted for lockdown times when it's blatantly like a 'first easter without the kids' receipe. You can only do what you can do, I guess.

Gulftastic

I know this ad is normally for product ads, but I love one of the ads on Discovery Channel for it's own programme where some Brummie guy is claiming to have found Knights Templar treasure or something.

He claims 'It's the greatest find since Tutankhamun' but he pronounces the last word 'Tooting-kamoon' and it tickles me.

Love the new Barclays advert featuring employee's in their casual clothes, all bar one, who is working from home in her uniform.

Cerys

What they don't tell you is that it's only because her boyfriend has a fetish.

DrGreggles

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on April 24, 2020, 09:53:33 PM
Love the new Barclays advert featuring employee's in their casual clothes, all bar one, who is working from home in her uniform.

Fucking jobsworth...

Icehaven

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on April 24, 2020, 09:53:33 PM

A friend of mine working from home is doing "dress up Fridays", posting pictures on social media of himself in his office clothes every Friday morning. Death's sweet embrace.

idunnosomename

Quote from: C_Larence on April 21, 2020, 12:22:07 PM
Fuck everyone involved with the Kate Tempest Facebook advert. Another poet once referred to her as the Trump of poetry, but I think she's more like Hitler.
fucking hell she is one helluva hack shill. Shes abput as genuine as one of those stupid wordy "inspirational" signs people buy from tk maxx to hang in their shitty house

imitationleather

I've hated Kate Tempest since the noughties.

C_Larence

I make my brother laugh by doing an impression of her that is just:

QuoteI WENT TO DA CHIPPY, BUT DA ROADS WERE SLIPPY

Sebastian Cobb

I don't mind Tempest. I think people who hail her as a genius are a bit thick, but then I think that of people who do the same to Sleaford Mods, but ultimately she seems ok.

gilbertharding

Apparently the excellent Talking Pictures might be in trouble because all the adverts for cruises have stopped. Surprised that the adverts for commemorative coins and equity release are not keeping them afloat but there it is.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 20, 2020, 10:13:44 PM
As soon as lockdown is over I'm leaving the house with the same level of enthusiasm that a 70's teenager had when going to WH Smith.
https://youtu.be/kG1VxkKSEp4

That's beautiful, is it Birmingham? 

imitationleather

Icehaven

Compare The Market must be doing alright because those fucking meerkats appear to live in a vast glass-fronted house overlooking San Francisco bay. Mind you it's only meerkat sized so they probably got it cheap.

Cerys

Quote from: icehaven on April 21, 2020, 12:02:42 PM
Well it's taken a little under 4 weeks for virtually every ad to become a virus version and only vaguely fitting others remain (e.g. those sodding black horses galloping about to a whispering cover of "You're Not Alone", and ads for cleaning products). Everything else has been pulled so there must be less ads on rotation than there's ever been, given TV advertising was already in decline. So there's truly no escape now, even watching sitcom repeats on E4 to avoid the news you get reminders every 15 minutes that it's really 2020 and we're all fucked.

Yeah I'm suspicious about how a lot of these virus referencing ads have sprung up so fast too, surely they can't have been entirely produced from home?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vM3J9jDoaTA

Pseudopath

Probably no surprise to the people who endured the commercial breaks whilst live-streaming Better Call Saul, but this video perfectly demonstrates how repetitive US adverts have become during the pandemic.

buttgammon

American adverts explain a lot; I saw one for chemotherapy when I was over there.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: C_Larence on April 21, 2020, 12:22:07 PM

You sexy bastard. Couldn't agree more, snubbed me at latitude once when introduced to her so when she later came to our tent and I was delivering a bit about odious little shits I welcomed her in from the entrance. Mmmm creamy

Bazooka

Nationwide's new one again with wretched spoken word sewage, all the great times during lockdown.  This virus is a God send to advertisers,the adverts literally write themselves, any old fucker speaking into a webcam or phone, they could be talking about genital mutilation and I don't think anyone would pay attention.

JesusAndYourBush

Saw a tampon ad the other day with a catchphrase something like "not just the tip, shove it right up!".
If I'd been taking a drink I'd maybe have snorted it out of my nose, but I wasn't.

paruses

Anyone put their foot through the TV at the LOCKDOWN Malteser ads yet? Been watching more All 4 the last few days so been bombarded by them. Rochelle from PJDN is the bottom right participant - I will probably forgive her in time.

Jockice

Quote from: paruses on May 15, 2020, 03:18:33 PM
Anyone put their foot through the TV at the LOCKDOWN Malteser ads yet? Been watching more All 4 the last few days so been bombarded by them. Rochelle from PJDN is the bottom right participant - I will probably forgive her in time.

They're not still making disabled people eat the honeycomb horrors are they? Do they think we don't already suffer enough?

paruses

Ha! No - they've laid off the patronising "disableds are saucy too" schtick. It's all Zoom these days. The ad is basically a televised Facebook / Mumsnet mashup.

Icehaven

Not to sound callous (although of course it will) , but there's so many more charity ads on now and they're so lonnnnnnng. They're almost as generic as the lockdown ads too, sad piano music, sad voiceover saying "Please, PLEASE help", sad children/animals/celebrity, three hours later and it's still on. I get that donations must be through the floor for anything except NHS related charities at the moment so others are keen to remind everyone they still exist, but having three different begs for money in a 10 minute ad break when you just want to watch decade old sitcoms from another world is surely just going to induce empathy fatigue. It is in me anyway (apart from for the sad cats).

ersatz99

Michael McIntyre ads at every break. Condensed version: him mincing rapidly acroos the stage squealing at the top of his voice.