Author Topic: Cab Men II: Because fact into doubt won't go  (Read 72850 times)

Re: Cab Men II: Because fact into doubt won't go
« Reply #870 on: June 27, 2020, 12:53:09 AM »
I was passing and your door was ajar

« Reply #871 on: June 27, 2020, 11:19:13 AM »
i don't know what it's for (a supermarket presumably), but there's an ad on at the moment with a family cooking at home and the dad goes "yum yum yum yuuuuum" like a rave air horn and it cuts right through me every time

icehaven

• Please don't hi five people in Tamworth
« Reply #872 on: June 27, 2020, 10:41:44 PM »
There's one at the moment for some makeup or something that uses hyaluronic acid, and after the voice over says it, some of the women in the ad repeat "hyaluronic" but slowly, like " HY-AH-LUR-ON-IC", as if they're spelling it out as they have great difficulty saying it. I'm not sure what the idea is, as it's either insulting their target audience by assuming they need help with such a long word, or implying the women in the ad are having trouble with it too, or both. It's weird anyway.

gilbertharding

• Not even the rudest man in the Beatles
« Reply #873 on: June 27, 2020, 10:51:32 PM »
I have no idea what they are selling but there's an awful advert on heavy rotation at the moment which contains the line 'glitter in our knickers' which fills me with a slight hatred. I wish I knew why.

icehaven

« Reply #874 on: June 27, 2020, 10:54:33 PM »
I have no idea what they are selling but there's an awful advert on heavy rotation at the moment which contains the line 'glitter in our knickers' which fills me with a slight hatred. I wish I knew why.

Oh my god yes, I bloody hate that one too, and similarly have no idea what they're flogging as I lunge for the mute button as soon as I hear her going on about sweltering tents. Is it an advert for sweltering tents?

gilbertharding

« Reply #875 on: June 28, 2020, 10:37:50 AM »
All I could get from 'sweltering tents' and 'glitter in our knickers' was Lesbian Flings... but how can you *sell* that? I mean, if I were a woman, I'd probably be in the market, but... who'd be taking the money?

« Reply #876 on: July 01, 2020, 01:10:31 PM »
Last night halfway through South Park on Comedy Central there was an ad for people who had bought a Mercedes to join a class action lawsuit against Mercedes for lying about emissions. If there's ever an advertised product that the South Park people would hate, surely corralling luxury car owners for ridiculous lawsuits is high up?

Elsewhere on TV. It's not hard to pronounce Galbani. Do you think we all have large penises in our mouths while watching Come Dine With Me?

icehaven

« Reply #877 on: July 01, 2020, 08:59:21 PM »

Elsewhere on TV. It's not hard to pronounce Galbani. Do you think we all have large penises in our mouths while watching Come Dine With Me?

It's like Santander all over again, they did that in an ad years ago with apparently functioning adults unable to say another 3 syllable word that's pronounced exactly as it's spelled.

gilbertharding

« Reply #878 on: Yesterday at 03:38:03 PM »
It's like Santander all over again, they did that in an ad years ago with apparently functioning adults unable to say another 3 syllable word that's pronounced exactly as it's spelled.

I suppose it's a good way of getting people to say 'San-Tan-Durr' and 'Hy-Al-Ar-On-Ic'.

Speaking of Santander, their latest Cov-spoitation adverts are baffling. Ant and Dec zoom an apparently unsuspecting customer (surely a breach of GDPR, but anyway). They then blather on, before surprising them by connecting them with a long lost friend, someone they are missing due to lockdown.

But... surely, if THEY have a zoom-capable device, and THEIR FRIEND has the same, then why do we need Ant and Dec?

No better, is the Barclays advert with a similar theme - except it's an ordinary member of Barclay's staff who is showing a customer how to join a zoom call... WHILE USING ZOOM.

gilbertharding

« Reply #879 on: Yesterday at 03:39:51 PM »
Last night halfway through South Park on Comedy Central there was an ad for people who had bought a Mercedes to join a class action lawsuit against Mercedes for lying about emissions. If there's ever an advertised product that the South Park people would hate, surely corralling luxury car owners for ridiculous lawsuits is high up?

Mercedes Benz themselves have fallen foul of similar, by their un-ironic use of Janice Joplin's anti-consumerist anthem 'Lord Won't You Buy Me a Mercedes Benz' in adverts a few years back.

Cerys

• Bionic-Arsed
  • Golden Member
  • Cyber Engineered Ravaged Yakking System
    • The Brainwrongs of Cerys
« Reply #880 on: Today at 02:25:44 AM »
Curry's are advertising a laptop that is great for watching films while sitting in bed ... by showing a woman with her clearly plugged-in laptop phoning the Curry's call centre and being told that she obviously needs a laptop with a long-lasting battery.  To sit in bed watching films with a nearby mains socket.  Yes, Curry's.  Of course she does.

Tags: