Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:39:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cab Men II: Because fact into doubt won't go

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 29, 2018, 09:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProvanFan

willy crossit

i don't know what it's for (a supermarket presumably), but there's an ad on at the moment with a family cooking at home and the dad goes "yum yum yum yuuuuum" like a rave air horn and it cuts right through me every time

Icehaven

There's one at the moment for some makeup or something that uses hyaluronic acid, and after the voice over says it, some of the women in the ad repeat "hyaluronic" but slowly, like " HY-AH-LUR-ON-IC", as if they're spelling it out as they have great difficulty saying it. I'm not sure what the idea is, as it's either insulting their target audience by assuming they need help with such a long word, or implying the women in the ad are having trouble with it too, or both. It's weird anyway.

gilbertharding

I have no idea what they are selling but there's an awful advert on heavy rotation at the moment which contains the line 'glitter in our knickers' which fills me with a slight hatred. I wish I knew why.

Icehaven

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 27, 2020, 10:51:32 PM
I have no idea what they are selling but there's an awful advert on heavy rotation at the moment which contains the line 'glitter in our knickers' which fills me with a slight hatred. I wish I knew why.

Oh my god yes, I bloody hate that one too, and similarly have no idea what they're flogging as I lunge for the mute button as soon as I hear her going on about sweltering tents. Is it an advert for sweltering tents?

gilbertharding

All I could get from 'sweltering tents' and 'glitter in our knickers' was Lesbian Flings... but how can you *sell* that? I mean, if I were a woman, I'd probably be in the market, but... who'd be taking the money?

dissolute ocelot

Last night halfway through South Park on Comedy Central there was an ad for people who had bought a Mercedes to join a class action lawsuit against Mercedes for lying about emissions. If there's ever an advertised product that the South Park people would hate, surely corralling luxury car owners for ridiculous lawsuits is high up?

Elsewhere on TV. It's not hard to pronounce Galbani. Do you think we all have large penises in our mouths while watching Come Dine With Me?

Icehaven

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 01, 2020, 01:10:31 PM

Elsewhere on TV. It's not hard to pronounce Galbani. Do you think we all have large penises in our mouths while watching Come Dine With Me?

It's like Santander all over again, they did that in an ad years ago with apparently functioning adults unable to say another 3 syllable word that's pronounced exactly as it's spelled.

gilbertharding

Quote from: icehaven on July 01, 2020, 08:59:21 PM
It's like Santander all over again, they did that in an ad years ago with apparently functioning adults unable to say another 3 syllable word that's pronounced exactly as it's spelled.

I suppose it's a good way of getting people to say 'San-Tan-Durr' and 'Hy-Al-Ar-On-Ic'.

Speaking of Santander, their latest Cov-spoitation adverts are baffling. Ant and Dec zoom an apparently unsuspecting customer (surely a breach of GDPR, but anyway). They then blather on, before surprising them by connecting them with a long lost friend, someone they are missing due to lockdown.

But... surely, if THEY have a zoom-capable device, and THEIR FRIEND has the same, then why do we need Ant and Dec?

No better, is the Barclays advert with a similar theme - except it's an ordinary member of Barclay's staff who is showing a customer how to join a zoom call... WHILE USING ZOOM.

gilbertharding

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 01, 2020, 01:10:31 PM
Last night halfway through South Park on Comedy Central there was an ad for people who had bought a Mercedes to join a class action lawsuit against Mercedes for lying about emissions. If there's ever an advertised product that the South Park people would hate, surely corralling luxury car owners for ridiculous lawsuits is high up?

Mercedes Benz themselves have fallen foul of similar, by their un-ironic use of Janice Joplin's anti-consumerist anthem 'Lord Won't You Buy Me a Mercedes Benz' in adverts a few years back.

Cerys

Curry's are advertising a laptop that is great for watching films while sitting in bed ... by showing a woman with her clearly plugged-in laptop phoning the Curry's call centre and being told that she obviously needs a laptop with a long-lasting battery.  To sit in bed watching films with a nearby mains socket.  Yes, Curry's.  Of course she does.

ollyboro

How much money does De Niro need? Not content with flogging cars, he's now selling bagels by referencing assorted mob films from his past. I await his Uber ad, starring an eighty year old Travis Bickle, with bated breath. "You hiring me? You hiring me? Well I'm the only reasonably priced method of transport round here."

Ferris

Quote from: ollyboro on July 03, 2020, 12:29:32 PM
How much money does De Niro need? Not content with flogging cars, he's now selling bagels by referencing assorted mob films from his past. I await his Uber ad, starring an eighty year old Travis Bickle, with bated breath. "You hiring me? You hiring me? Well I'm the only reasonably priced method of transport round here."

Big laugh.

Icehaven

Quote from: ollyboro on July 03, 2020, 12:29:32 PM
How much money does De Niro need? Not content with flogging cars, he's now selling bagels by referencing assorted mob films from his past.

It even references the Bananarama song at the start, and I'd have thought he had it written into his contract that that was never to happen. Has he had an expensive divorce or something?

ProvanFan

ollyboro

Quote from: icehaven on July 03, 2020, 08:25:34 PM
It even references the Bananarama song at the start, and I'd have thought he had it written into his contract that that was never to happen. Has he had an expensive divorce or something?

I can only assume it's an old age thing. Despite having tens of thousands of pounds sat in her current account, my 79 year old Finnish mother sits in her mortgage free detached bungalow and goes on and on about having no money, and how because she's got no money she'll end up deported back to Finland. De Niro's a similar age, so no doubt he's shitting himself about being banished to Finland.

metaltax

Quote from: icehaven on July 03, 2020, 08:25:34 PM
Has he had an expensive divorce or something?

Yes. See also: Rowan Atkinson advertising Snickers.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: icehaven on July 01, 2020, 08:59:21 PM

I like to think this kind soul uploaded this clip from 'People Like Us' after watching too many bank ads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbtRUrEaRA0

monkfromhavana

It's weird isn't it. In the 90s it was all "Wow, in Japan they have Hollywood A-listers in their adverts"

Now a mere 20 years later we have Stallone hawking bread and Keitel telling you not to worry about evicting your tenants.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: metaltax on July 05, 2020, 07:31:36 PM
Yes. See also: Rowan Atkinson advertising Snickers.

Joan Collins.

Must have started with Loaded culture - the ironic legends such as Brian Blessed.

I also note that nearly every cleaning product is now advertised with a Brian Blessed-sound-a-like booming. That man is the biggest sell out, shilling for Millennials who don't give a fuck about his legacy other than "oooh hee heee haaa haaa, old stuff before we were born but not in a good way"

Uncle TechTip

His legacy being the man with the Brian Blessed-sound-a-like booming voice?

gilbertharding

The 'other' booming voice is Peter Dickson, but he's doing an impersonation of someone else (whose name I can't remember).

the

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 06, 2020, 11:44:45 AMThe 'other' booming voice is Peter Dickson, but he's doing an impersonation of someone else (whose name I can't remember).

Patrick Allen.

petril

those two posts appearing like that is giving me trouble reading it, because all that happens is a Patrick Allen voice pipes up and goes "and who was it gilbertharding can't remember? REEVES and MORTIMER!"

gilbertharding

I now urge everyone reading this to fire up youtube, do a search for Patrick Allen, and watch at least the top three clips - but especially the trailer for Number 1 of the Secret Service (1977).

gilbertharding

They're repeating that advert for the Financial Conduct Authority, with the poor bloke who's had his life savings stolen by someone who can now spend his days whooping it up on a jetski somewhere hot.

A great advert for scamming, I think. Where do I sign up?

Gurke and Hare

Awesome screen, awesome camera, long lasting battery life.
Awesome screen, awesome camera, long lasting bat- FUCK OFF

dr beat

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 06, 2020, 02:50:36 PM
I now urge everyone reading this to fire up youtube, do a search for Patrick Allen, and watch at least the top three clips - but especially the trailer for Number 1 of the Secret Service (1977).

I *have* to see that film.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Fucking hell, that Nuii (posh choc ice) advert might be the wankiest thing I've ever seen. I thought it was a pisstake at first.

Icehaven

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 10, 2020, 08:18:04 PM
Fucking hell, that Nuii (posh choc ice) advert might be the wankiest thing I've ever seen. I thought it was a pisstake at first.

Ice cream's often a bit OTT, the current Magnum one for some strawberry choc ice is like Eyes Wide Shut.