Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:37:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cab Men II: Because fact into doubt won't go

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 29, 2018, 09:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteAdvertisements that perpetuate sexist stereotypes, from men being shown as useless at changing nappies to women being unable to park a car, would be banned under a new rule being considered by the industry watchdog.

The crackdown by the Committee of Advertising Practice (Cap), which writes the codes that all UK advertisers have to follow, aims to rid television, radio, billboards, posters, newspapers and magazines of ads that promote harmful or offensive stereotypes. The new rule, which follows 10 months of evaluation by the ad watchdog, will be subject to a final public consultation before being put into practice...

Sounds like a good idea. One thing I would like to see is the media avoiding giving publicity to banned ads and therefore encouraging companies to submit offensive ads. The Guardian has used a picture of one of the banned ads in their reporting which is why I haven't linked to the story.

bgmnts

Quote from: icehaven on March 29, 2018, 10:58:57 AM
It's quite hard to believe in 2018 rooms full of executives at an ad agency and rooms full of executives at the client business would fail to spot how that Heineken advert could be construed as racist.

Or just dont care?

Doesn't surprise me. They're exectuives. Beyond pointless.

saltysnacks

Quote from: gilbertharding on May 14, 2018, 03:31:39 PM
The Poetry Bastards are back.

The Bloody Awful demotic Northern leftie one from the Nationwide. "Hopes, dreams, hoping dreaming, dreaming hoping. Votes for women. Black and white. The workhouse for you young fellow-me-lad. Mortgages for ordinary folk. By gum."

Makes me want to pull my fingernails out.

BlodwynPig

Hasselhoff advertising FarmFoods??

Peak erosion of the separation of fantasy and reality. Its disgusting. I preferred it when US megastars were aloof and distant, not whoring themselves out to the lowest common abominator.

mothman

Sgt. Duckie

Step aside 'who's that knocking at the dooor, who's that ringing the bell' as there are some new cunts in town.
Namely Gary Barlow and those singing dogs: 'Flyyy hiiiigh and let meee goooo". I just want to do the Fire Walk With me axe into the tele when this repeatedly comes on.

yesitsme

If you listen to podcasts I'm sure you've heard the ads for Gaiko (sp?).  The one's where something with 'one job' envies Gaiko that does loads of things.

The one where there's a bloke in the shower going 'Washing my toes - ahwaha hooo hhooooooo' and then goes 'Washing my nose - hey heeeyeye heyeyeyee'.

I hope he slips on some soap.

McFlymo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 29, 2018, 07:49:22 PM
Member the racist '90s Scalextric ad?

https://youtu.be/Spz_FIsmXRI

Thought it was earlier than '98.

Perhaps, weirdly, the only thing that I felt was slightly off with this was the woman saying, "It was just a fling... " Maybe it's because this is the "othering" of some non-present, non-white character, but obviously for the joke to work she only needs to allude to that character. I actually found this quite funny, maybe I am reminiscing of the aforementioned Jam-style acting and style to it: The way the guy is just staring off at the end is quite neat.

As for racist TV ads. I'll be that cunt for a moment and announce how proud I am of the fact that I only ever see TV ads when I visit my parents. It is always quite unsettling and bleak to see the lengths TV ads go to, now, to grab your attention. Yesterday, a chat with my mum was interrupted by me staring slaw jawed at some sickly ad for the National Lottery, where a mixed race guy is stood in a shop, mumbling about how much he loves his mum or something, showing us a pic of her on his phone. It seemed the message was something like, "Hey everybody, be like this guy, he's stupid and gambles, but he loves his mum... And look! She's white... So it's all OK!" Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it was the intensity of the fake "man in the street" style that made me so uncomfortable.

yesitsme

Radio ads for the Army.  Are you a are brave boy or girl?  Fancy being shoved out to some dustbowl in a country you've never heard of to stand on a landmine?

Having doubts?  Let's these cunts answer your questions about pull ups and roccckkksss in yer beerrrrrrrrrrrgen.

I want the other side to win.

yesitsme

Thinking about painting the fence this weekend reminded me of the time I bought one of those spray paint things.  They were advertised with a bloke laughing at how it is was to use and the music to the ad was The Laughing Policeman.

If you're thinking of painting the fence this weekend do not buy one of those spray paint things unless you also intend to coat yourself, your neighbours washing and everything else within a 1km radius in a splattering of intermittent oak.

There should be a class action law suit against those bastards.

RoadMaintenanceTycoon

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 29, 2018, 07:49:22 PM
Member the racist '90s Scalextric ad?

https://youtu.be/Spz_FIsmXRI

Thought it was earlier than '98.

Is that what's her name off of the Iannucci shows cupboard sketch (and a few others)? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0eExOkc8jk

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: RoadMaintenanceTycoon on May 25, 2018, 01:03:31 PM
Is that what's her name off of the Iannucci shows cupboard sketch (and a few others)? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0eExOkc8jk

Yeah, I recognised the Scouse girl.

Dr Syntax Head

The song in that Sony Bravia TV ad pretty much encompasses everything I really hate about modern pop singer songwriters. That voice, the generic melody, the boring fucking strings. I don't think a human made that music, it was put together by a bot wasn't it? It's that human after all guy isn't it? Fucking end of all music right there. I say this sincerely, I'd rather listen to Sheeran. But only as I fucking slit my own throat while doing so.

buzby

Quote from: RoadMaintenanceTycoon on May 25, 2018, 01:03:31 PM
Sky Glover. she's also in the 'Communication' episode in a photostory sketch about having one of Jude Law's hands transplanted onto her arm in an effort to lead a more glamourous life. She did a few single episodes of soaps and drama series (The Bill, Casualty, Doctors, Liverpool 1 etc.) but she's not been in anything since 2005 according to IMDB.

Isnt Anything

As long as shes no relation to Guy Glover.

Porter Dimi

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on May 27, 2018, 11:43:39 PM
The song in that Sony Bravia TV ad pretty much encompasses everything I really hate about modern pop singer songwriters. That voice, the generic melody, the boring fucking strings. I don't think a human made that music, it was put together by a bot wasn't it? It's that human after all guy isn't it? Fucking end of all music right there. I say this sincerely, I'd rather listen to Sheeran. But only as I fucking slit my own throat while doing so.

It's horrible, isn't it? Also saw an ad for the guy's album, which said something along the lines of 'Featuring [shit song] from the Sony Bravia TV ad!'. Shameless stuff.

Icehaven

Quote from: Porter Dimi on May 28, 2018, 05:34:51 PM
It's horrible, isn't it? Also saw an ad for the guy's album, which said something along the lines of 'Featuring [shit song] from the Sony Bravia TV ad!'. Shameless stuff.

The recent spate of televised festivals and a few rare instances of (involuntarily) listening to commercial radio have made me realise just how many dull, by-numbers sounding pieces of aural wallpaper that I've heard on ads and assumed were just made for them are actually recent singles by big names. Something by Ed Sheeran (maybe for M&S?) and that terrible "Iwillleavealightoooown" one (can't remember the ad, might actually be the one in the quote above) are a few, but there's been more.

Icehaven

There's a totally misjudged L'Oreal ad on at the moment aimed at women who buy their men grooming products. It shows a dapper-ish Ewan McGregor type cackhandedly chucking a skateboard around and the voiceover says something like ''Ladies, we can't make him a teenager again, but we can help him look his best.'' What?! Germaine Greer aside how many women over, well, 20 sit there wishing their boyfriends/husbands looked like teenagers? There's some decidedly off logic being applied here because even if they've just attempted to flip the obviously debatable notion that a lot of men wish their wives/girlfriends looked 19 again, if any ad actually did say that there'd be uproar, and the other way around it's still awful as well as just being wrong.

mothman

If that's the one with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, then he doesn't need much help looking good.

Phil_A

David Mitchell is now in one of those EE ads with Kevin Bacon.

A new low?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Phil_A on June 04, 2018, 07:36:58 PM

A new low?

Upstart Crow?

Pseudopath

Or the Get A Mac campaign. Christ. Remember that?

mothman

At least it didn't kill the product stone dead, like Griff Rhys-Jones' car ad.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Phil_A on June 04, 2018, 07:36:58 PM

A new low?

It's ridiculous, that advert. It's clearly David Mitchell - or at least the 'angry man' character from one of his sketches - and yet we know that man is a non-driving virgin. OK, actual David Mitchell (the real life human being) is married, and has a small child (or two?), but not multiple teenagers, and anyway can't drive. I mean - what are we supposed to think?

And just how hard up is Kevin Bacon? At least in this one he isn't being forced to use British slang slightly wrong.

yesitsme

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 06, 2018, 10:24:07 AM
It's ridiculous, that advert. It's clearly David Mitchell - or at least the 'angry man' character from one of his sketches - and yet we know that man is a non-driving virgin. OK, actual David Mitchell (the real life human being) is married, and has a small child (or two?), but not multiple teenagers, and anyway can't drive. I mean - what are we supposed to think?

And just how hard up is Kevin Bacon? At least in this one he isn't being forced to use British slang slightly wrong.

The best David Mitchell who isn't David Mitchell is the one on the cruise adverts (PandO?) with Rob Bryden.  There's a clip at the end of one where he's enjoying a wee aperitif with a bloke who - is David Mitchell - but NO IT ISN'T DAVID MITCHELL.  It's a bloke who looks like him but isn't him but does look a bit like him and pulls a David Mitchell look but it isn't him.

But it looks like him.
A bit.
At first glance.
But it's not him.
But you're meant to think it is.
But it isn't.

gilbertharding

...which is ridiculous in itself, because people who go on cruises are FAMOUS for not having any discernible sense of humour (well, if they're all anything like my wife's parents, anyway).

Anyway, the other great one at the moment is the Peter Jones, in his electric blue suit, and striped socks:

*cough*
"Since a child..."
*walks awkwardly towards the camera*
*hand gesture*
*looms*

DrGreggles

All World Cup related adverts can cunt right off.

yesitsme

Oh god, I hadn't considered how many mums/wives will be rolling their eyes, tutting and looking upwards as the ladz enjoy the soccors.

All the 'official' sponsors and partners of and...my god..I've just thought...

Gillette! 

It's going to be a long month.