Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:13:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Grant/Marshall series - The Quanderhorn Xperimentations

Started by Phil_A, March 29, 2018, 10:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Phil_A on March 29, 2018, 10:54:29 AM
http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2018/03/28/39515/new_book_from_red_dwarf_and_2point4children_writers

This sounds potentially promising, although isn't it exactly the same premise as Graham Duff's Professor Nebulous?

This one sounds like it could be funny - so could be taking a very different approach.

Malcy

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 29, 2018, 02:58:56 PM
This one sounds like it could be funny - so could be taking a very different approach.

Tried a few times to get in to Nebulous but kept losing interest. This sounds good. Will listen to it when it's out.

Malcy

olliebean

Any more entrants for the "Not As Good As Douglas Adams" award, before nominations close?

gloria

I put on the first one to listen to on iPlayer and only lasted about 5 minutes.* It may seem an odd thing to say about a comedy show, but it lacks seriousness. Pure whimsy isn't enough to sustain one's interest in anything longer than a sketch. As I say in the Hitchhiker thread, Adams's stuff had clever satire and a truly dark Kafkaesque tone to prevent it collapsing into sodden souffle of funny names. This didn't. Or maybe it did? Did it improve dramatically (in both senses) as it went on?

*in a non-sexual sense

notjosh

I haven't listened to this, but Nebulous is brilliant - one my favourite radio comedies ever. Much better than this crap, probably.

olliebean

Quote from: gloria on June 26, 2018, 08:17:01 PM
I put on the first one to listen to on iPlayer and only lasted about 5 minutes.* It may seem an odd thing to say about a comedy show, but it lacks seriousness. Pure whimsy isn't enough to sustain one's interest in anything longer than a sketch. As I say in the Hitchhiker thread, Adams's stuff had clever satire and a truly dark Kafkaesque tone to prevent it collapsing into sodden souffle of funny names. This didn't. Or maybe it did? Did it improve dramatically (in both senses) as it went on?

No.

It definitely felt like it was trying hard to be Adamsesque, though, whilst not really getting him. Some of the lines felt like they'd just pinched something from Hitchhiker's and changed a couple of words.

StuglePStugleton

Still though, marginally funnier than The Strangerers.