Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:59:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Baseball 2018

Started by Ferris, March 29, 2018, 01:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Good insight. Cheers. Some of that I knew but as it went on it was very illuminating. I can still partly read a box score then.

Famous Mortimer

Cardinals come from behind to beat the Cubs again, which means they've guaranteed a post-season slot and the Cubs are all-but-certainly eliminated. This is the sort of series that must absolutely suck for fans of the losing side (four one-run games that could very easily have gone either way) but for me it was bloody brilliant.

Ferris

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 22, 2019, 11:56:52 PM
Cardinals come from behind to beat the Cubs again, which means they've guaranteed a post-season slot and the Cubs are all-but-certainly eliminated. This is the sort of series that must absolutely suck for fans of the losing side (four one-run games that could very easily have gone either way) but for me it was bloody brilliant.

Saw that and though of you!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 22, 2019, 11:56:52 PM

Should have got tickets. Pissing it down here though - does Wrigley have a roof or is that only The Jays?

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 23, 2019, 12:21:49 AM
Should have got tickets. Pissing it down here though - does Wrigley have a roof or is that only The Jays?

The majority don't, only superior teams like the Jays with our janky '70s technology have retractable roofs.

...are you in Chicago, Blodz?!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 23, 2019, 01:15:08 AM
The majority don't, only superior teams like the Jays with our janky '70s technology have retractable roofs.

...are you in Chicago, Blodz?!

Yup, until Thursday.

Famous Mortimer

I've just started reading "Class A: Baseball In The Middle Of Everywhere" by Lucas Mann, which is part autobiography, part portrait of the single-A team in the small town of Clinton. He's an "essayist", which seems to be a style of writing I never got on with, but I'm not annoyed by it yet so I'll stick with it a while. It's unlikely to beat "Where Nobody Knows Your Name" as the greatest ever book about minor league baseball, but it's not bad.

BlodwynPig

Ferris, just have to tell you i bought a fetching Cubs Tee

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 24, 2019, 12:05:10 AM
Ferris, just have to tell you i bought a fetching Cubs Tee

I CAST THEE OUT OF THE CaB BLUE JAYS FAN-CLUB!!

(Is it at least a Javy Baez one? He's dreamy)

Ferris

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 24, 2019, 12:03:06 AM
I've just started reading "Class A: Baseball In The Middle Of Everywhere" by Lucas Mann, which is part autobiography, part portrait of the single-A team in the small town of Clinton. He's an "essayist", which seems to be a style of writing I never got on with, but I'm not annoyed by it yet so I'll stick with it a while. It's unlikely to beat "Where Nobody Knows Your Name" as the greatest ever book about minor league baseball, but it's not bad.

2 more to add to my pile of baseball books I'll never find time to read! I have a strange attraction to minor league baseball - the futility and grit, and the fact that it's only one degree removed from the most glamorous stage in all of professional sports. It's a fascinating thing.

sevendaughters

only baseball books I've read are 8 Men Out and Ball Four, which are both really good.

EOLAN

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 24, 2019, 12:36:02 AM
I CAST THEE OUT OF THE CaB BLUE JAYS FAN-CLUB!!

(Is it at least a Javy Baez one? He's dreamy)

I've got a quickly fading Blue-Jays T-shirt so am happy to take his place.

sevendaughters

oh wait we all support the Blue Jays? cool. me too. I mean I don't support them in a meaningful way but they're my team (started watching 92/93, only game I went to was Blue Jays/NYY on Opening Day 2003, Ken Huckaby injured Jeter).

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 24, 2019, 09:21:51 AM
only baseball books I've read are 8 Men Out and Ball Four, which are both really good.
Agreed - someone at SABR has done a deep dive on the Eight Men Out thing in a series of articles, and while I didn't like the author's style and thought they were far too kind to Charles Comiskey, it might be worth a read as they correct a lot of historical misconceptions with primary evidence. "Ball Four" is fantastic, I found a signed copy in a second-hand bookshop for a fiver.

FWB, "Where Nobody Knows Your Name" is a classic, I can't recommend it highly enough. Up there with "The Glory of Their Times" as my favourite ever baseball books.

If I didn't live in St Louis, I'd probably be a Blue Jays fan. They seem like a great bunch of lads, and I remember very much enjoying their Jose Bautista era. Talking of the Cardinals, though, they keep winning, and eliminated the Diamondbacks from postseason contention last night.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 24, 2019, 12:03:06 AM
Thumbs down. I just don't care about for this style of writing. It's that cod-profundity which seems to be a uniquely American thing, attempting to make the churn of capitalism poetic and inevitable. And there wasn't a lot of baseball in it.

Famous Mortimer

Glad I didn't stay up for the baseball last night, it started late cos it was on the west coast and went an arse-numbing 19 innings, finishing about an hour and a half before I woke up for work. And the Cardinals lost. I think after 12, you should just have a home-run-off or some other sudden death thing, because it's not like you can say the best team won when it was a couple of errors 6 hours into a game, a couple of hours after even the most dedicated post-game partier would have been in bed.

Ferris

Cards going absolutely fucking ham on this Braves bullpen. My god.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 10, 2019, 12:02:25 AM
Cards going absolutely fucking ham on this Braves bullpen. My god.

?? What is this goblin chatter?

Famous Mortimer

It was a nice run for the Cardinals but it looks like it'll be over in a few hours. I didn't expect them to get this far, or anywhere near it, as recently as the all-star break, so it's been fun.

Looking forward to the World Series, though. Both teams (whoever it ends up being) will be fantastic.

Ferris

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 15, 2019, 10:47:55 PM
It was a nice run for the Cardinals but it looks like it'll be over in a few hours. I didn't expect them to get this far, or anywhere near it, as recently as the all-star break, so it's been fun.

Looking forward to the World Series, though. Both teams (whoever it ends up being) will be fantastic.

I was thinking of you while watching the Cards. I thought the Astros would walk it, but these Nats seem very determined

BlodwynPig

Watching old Bisons videos instead

kngen

If this turns out to be a Yankees-Nationals World Series, this house is going to be a warzone. (Not really, I have little more than a passing affinity with the Nationals purely because they are the closest Major League team geographically, but my wife - and the rest of her bonkers Brooklyn family - are diehard Yanks, so deserve to be wound up whenever possible.) I don't fancy their chances if they piss away home advantage tonight again, but if they do stage a comeback and somehow get through, I might have to buy one of those nice red hats with the white W just for the noise up.

Famous Mortimer

I know the team the Nationals used to be has won a World Series in relatively recent memory, but Washington themselves (either as the Nationals, or the Senators) hasn't won one since 1924, so I hope they win.

Dex Sawash

The Expos moved to DC, one for the fuck my hat thread.

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on October 18, 2019, 12:26:14 PM

Still a sore spot in Toronto-Montréal relations - the Jays supported the franchise move to DC which was viewed as a betrayal of Canadian baseball (by some).

Je me souviens!

kngen

Quote from: Dex Sawash on October 18, 2019, 12:26:14 PM

Oh, I never knew that either. That sucks. Fuck them, then.

Although, naming your team after a one-off event in the city almost invites a limited shelf-life a wee bit. I look forward to the MLB's UK expansion and the launch of new franchises, namely the Glasgow Garden Festivals, the Liverpool European City of Cultures and the South London Great Exhibition of the Works of Industry of All Nationses.

Ferris

It was a big deal - they built a subway system and an artificial island (which is lovely, incidentally) for the event. Walking around the old expo park in the off season is very surreal, like a forgotten episode of The Prisoner.

Quebecois get all het up about it if you laugh at their expo from 50 years ago

See also: Crystal Palace FC

kngen

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 18, 2019, 04:03:59 PM
It was a big deal - they built a subway system and an artificial island (which is lovely, incidentally) for the event. Walking around the old expo park in the off season is very surreal, like a forgotten episode of The Prisoner.

That does sound pretty cool. If I go back to Montreal (which I'd like to), that's definitely on my list.

See also: Crystal Palace FC

To be fair to Palace, there was about a 30-year overlap between them starting and the building catching fire. When was the last time you saw a mill in Millwall? Eh? Eh? EAAAAGLESS! Who are ya? etc.

Ferris

Quote from: kngen on October 18, 2019, 05:13:58 PM
That does sound pretty cool. If I go back to Montreal (which I'd like to), that's definitely on my list.

Visit Habitat 67, an apartment complex I was vaguely obsessed with for a couple of years. Again, built for the '67 expo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitat_67

kngen

Wow! That's quite something.